1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius Five Brake! Message

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Nathan212, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Nathan212

Nathan212 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2015 Prius Five and I’ve came across a message that pops up on the information screen that I’m not sure about. While driving normal I’ve been getting four rapid audible beeps and BRAKE! pops up on my information screen. It seems to do this randomly sometimes in traffic and sometimes when nothing is around. Speeds range anywhere from 50-70 when this happens. Nothing about the car seems to change as far as driving or braking. It just beeps and pops up BRAKE!. Is this normal? I’m a new Prius owner and this my first experience with one. I’m worried something is not right and I may either lose brakes or the car will lock down on me while driving. Anyone with any information that may help would be appreciated.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The "BRAKE!" is part of the Pre-Collision System (generally known as Autonomous Emergency Braking in today's term) that's included in the top Five trim (Lane Keep Assist and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control are also part of the package).

PCS basically will send an audible/visual warning if it detects an object in your path and if a collision is imminent, it will automatically brake (But the system will only brake to reduce the impact speed - it's not the advanced ones that can brake to a stop at higher speeds).

Occasionally, it will have false positives (like wide metal bridge expansion joints or if the road/highway is splitting and there are those metal barriers instead of the water tanks in the where the road splits). However, I've never had it automatically brake in those scenarios - I've only seen it flash the "BRAKE!" message as well as the beeps. Occasionally, it might retract the seatbelts but that's about it.

Your owner's manual has more details if you wanna learn about it.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Has your car been in an accident before?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Whose got time and patience for that? :eek::p

Tideland Prius likes this.
  6. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    You’re e brake switch might be broken

Nathan212 likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lost opportunity for “ain’t nobody got time for that!” meme :p

Although I’ll admit I’ve read the manual of every car I’ve owned cover to cover (and nav manual of equipped). Heck, I’ve read both the 7” and 11.6” manuals to better help the newbs here)

8. Nathan212

Nathan212 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    yes but minor to the front.

#8 Nathan212, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2019
  9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was subbing another member’s words. I’ve red all manuals of my vehicles also. Even screenshots I post on here for others also who prefers photos since photos are the way we communicate now :ROFLMAO:

Get the radar check out, most likely why your gettin the brake message. I’m suprised you haven’t mentioned anything about seat belts tightening when message appears.

#9 Grit, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2019
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. Nathan212

Nathan212 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Haven’t noticed if they do, but really hadn’t been looking for it. I’m headed out in it now I’ll pay closer attention to it and see if they do.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Being that you're a new Prius owner, that line "yes but minor to the front", were these the words of the previous owner?

I looked at your Avatar picture and it seems there are aftermarket wheels on your car. Most owners of Prius Five cars don't change those out. Does this car carry a rebuilt/salvage title? Maybe a flood damage on top of minor front end accident?

12. Nathan212

Nathan212 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Haha I got where your coming from I may be new to a Prius but not to cars. When I said minor I used to work at a body shop and yes the damage was minor. Front bumper cover from a run in with a dog. As far as the wheels I swapped those for 2018 TRD Camry wheels because I just couldn’t help it, it’s the adolescent in me and I feel the need to be different plus make a car look sharp. Plus I may have traded a few MPG’s but for that I gained in handling.

13. Nathan212

Nathan212 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    And no it has a clean title.

14. Nathan212

Nathan212 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Also just got done driving it and the BRAKE alarm came on once not long into my ride. The seatbelts did not tighten from what I could tell. So I turned on the cruise and backed the radar sensor down to the closest setting and then switched the cruise to normal cruise with no radar. After that drove for another hour and no more random alarm. Go figure... I don’t know may have to do with a dirty sensor maybe.

15. wheezyglider

wheezyglider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    From experience - if your seat belts tension for real you will not fail to notice.

I get this spurious warning a lot -- but only when going up steep hills and approaching (at normal speed) stopped traffic. That scenario never triggers the belts or brakes for me, so I ignore it. If it happened in other situations I'd see about getting the radar aim adjusted. (During an actual code brown everything still works as expected. Multiple tests have shown.)

Nathan212 likes this.
  16. Nathan212

Nathan212 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks I’ll keep a eye on it and if it becomes a issue or starts doing it more often I’ll have it looked at.

17. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Guess I'm lucky. At 43k miles, no lights.

18. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With miles that low, you shouldn't experience anything dreadful.

19. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    TRD Camry wheels? More like 2020 Corolla SE wheels.;)