1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius IV tires and battery question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Fast track, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Fast track

Fast track Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looking for advice on new tires. I was advised to buy rolling resistant tires? I have Yokohama Avid 33 on the car and can only get them at Toyota. They are expensive, looking for a alternative. Does it make a big change in mileage if I don’t get a rolling resistance tire?
    My starting battery is 5 or 6 years old should I consider changing it before it goes out? Can I change the battery myself?

Thanks for the help.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You can use anything. You don't have to buy "low rolling resistance" tires. Maybe it will cost you two mpg which you could restore by pumping them up another five psi. I would only increase psi if you were a mpg fanatic and did not mind the harsher ride of over inflated tires.

Just don't buy "rolling resistant tires". Those are too cheap - because they are flat or blown out. Your mpg will be non-existant.

Most people can change the 12v battery and many auto supplies will do it free. Just don't mix up the positive and negative if you do it. Burns stuff up.

3. Fast track

Fast track Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would like tires that would help reduce road noise and improve ride. Any recommendations? Also the reason I asked about how difficult it was to change the 12 volt battery was the dealer wanted $385 for a battery and labor to change.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I use Michelin Premier AS now, 90k miles per set, great ride and low road noise. The tires ren't the cheapest but will last twice as long. Costco and Sam's have them on sale every other month plus free rotations, repairs and balances. Its a no brainer. For most people nothing is easier than buying a compatible battery at the auto supply and let them install it free.

5. Fast track

Fast track Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the information!