1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius Lost All Power at 70mph. Need advice

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PaulG219, Jul 10, 2022.

1. PaulG219

PaulG219 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    V
    2015 Prius V (only 43,000 miles) out of warranty Lost All Power at 70mph on Boston I-90. Got to side of road.

Towed to dealer($563) dealer said need new Transmission AND Motor… $12,000. Only 43,00 miles. Engine totally locked up… said they never saw anything like it.

There was a Recall Re the Inverter and the IPM and I had the Recall Software Update done on the Intelligent Power Module IPM in 2020 which was supposed to fix the Loss of Power while driving issue. (280,000 vehicles recalled)
    Dealer said it is not throwing an Error code for the IPM So No coverage. But is throwing many other Error Codes.
    Dealer said fix it or car is worthless.
    The recall extended coverage on the IPM and Toyota Customer Care said I’m eligible… But Dealer said NO… because the are not seeing Error codes for the IPM. They are blaming it all on the Transmission.

Fix it?
    Fight it with Toyota for some coverage due to low mileage?
    Get Attorney involved?
    Any advice is appreciated.

2. PaulG219

PaulG219 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    V
    43,000 miles on vehicle

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't think of any instance where there was a failure with the Engine and Transmission at the same time, especially at 43000 miles. The 2015 cars are one of the best built. This dealer probably misdiagnosed the problem. I would ask to speak with the service manager and have the dealership foreman reevaluate the diagnosis.

If that doesn't change anything, I would get a second opinion at a different dealership. Definitely contact Toyota Corporate and have them assist with this dealership.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In a powered-off Prius without any busted bits, it is always pretty easy to turn the engine crankshaft ... by hand almost, certainly easy with a wrench. So that's an easy thing to check.

If it won't turn, there have to be busted bits somewhere. They could be in the engine itself or the transmission; they don't have to be both places, but they'll be at least in one or the other. It might not be easy to say which, before at least separating the tranny from the engine.

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Fight it with an attorney. But then again everyone who comes in here and said they were lawyering up never followed thru. Don’t be like the rest!

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Post the error codes, assuming they've provided such. Did you pay for the vehicle diagnostic, or did they throw it in for free with the tow?

It sure sounds like this stealership is trying to scam you out of a vehicle, or get you to trade it in, or open your wallet for the tiny sum of 14k.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Call JDM in New Jersey Belleville I think they'll quickly get you an engine and transmission from my 13 it was about 1175 I believe for both pieces 200 to deliver it to my door in North Carolina You're a little closer race it's not from a junkyard in the United States with super high mileage Good luck

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how long have you owned it, and where did you buy it from?

9. PaulG219

PaulG219 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Owned it 7 years in May 2015 purchased new from dealer in Pittsburgh North Hills Toyota. In 2016 we moved to Boston. It has been serviced at Atlantic Toyota in Boston and recall for Losing Power Issue was done there in August 2020

bisco likes this.
  10. PaulG219

PaulG219 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Dealer charged me $159 for diagnosis, no they did not cover toe. State police sent tow… cost me $563. To be towed flatbed 15 miles to dealer Bernardo Toyota in Framingham

bisco likes this.
  11. PaulG219

PaulG219 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    V

Attached Files:

12. PaulG219

PaulG219 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I’ve attached all error code and estimate of repairs

Attached Files:

13. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like classic stealership routine of barely even looking at the problems and then making insane repair quotes. I'd get the car to someone else to do what @ChapmanF is suggesting and then once you get it properly diagnosed get a friend who's a lawyer to write a letter to the stealership requesting a full refund for their fraudulent diagnosis (if that's the case).

14. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The IPM / Inverter is not going to lock up the engine. So the question becomes did they actually say the engine was seized or locked up? It is hard to imagine a scenario where both the transaxle and engine need replacing. However they could have said they need to remove both, which is the standard dealer procedure for most major engine repairs.

I have often found the Service advisor knows very little about technical details and is simply translating what he thinks he heard from the mechanic. Much can be lost in translation. Sometimes the commissioned service advisor (a glorified car salesman) will give you a not to exceed price giving the mechanics carte blanche.

These engines have issues but an independent shop could get it running for half that given your area, worse case. Most likely an independent would be under 1/3 of that cost.

#14 rjparker, Jul 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  15. PaulG219

PaulG219 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Rjparker, Yes they clearly said the engine is “locked up”. They said they once they replace the transmission they will be able to tell if the engine is any good or if they need to replace it too but they said they believe it needs a new engine due to the error codes and what they have seen so far.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you paid for the diagnosis, they should have given you the codes

17. PaulG219

PaulG219 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    V
    they did all posted in this thread above.

bisco likes this.
  18. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Basically they are blaming the transaxle based on codes and nothing else. They don't know about the engine but are giving you a worse case.

Obviously this kind of quote is intended to make you buy another car.

Guessing, I might blame the clutch damper. But we have seen rather simple things like bad 12v or blown 125 amp fuses create multiple irrelevant codes that quickly were cleared after the root cause was repaired.

There has never been a better argument for a second opinion than this case. Find an experienced independent who knows Prius.

Merkey likes this.
  19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wanted to look up what the P3147 -241 and -242 actually tell us.

At times when my TIS subscription isn't paid up, I often look in a PDF of the 2010 repair manual that's been circulating on the web. But whoever clicked the bazillion "Print to File" actions it took to produce that managed to completely skip the P3147 troubleshooting section. So if anybody finds out the details there, it'll have to be somebody with skin in the game signing in to TIS to get it straight from the source.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would make a call to toyota corporate and ask for goodwill warranty. sometimes they come through, especially when it is dealer serviced.
    this should never happen at 53,000 miles