1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius "Noisemaker" Location

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by E46Prius, Aug 15, 2015.

1. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Noisemaker.jpg

I have located the 2015 Prius noisemaker. It looks like if you wanted to access its function, it is easy and so is locating its plug. As pictured, it's located on top whereas earlier models were located at the bottom deep inside the engine. I am not sure when the location change occurred. Of course this is for educational purposes only. What you do with it as well as its consequences is your decision.

To learn about the Prius, I have tested the car without it and I can't really notice any difference. I wonder if it's the more distinct buzzing noise (over the inherent electric buzzy noise) that is the difference. I'll have to test again.

avusblue likes this.
  2. apt5020

apt5020 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Five
    I disconnected my awhile. I did not put a cap on the plug. Wonder if they make one. It might rust in the long run.

3. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hoping to figure out how to hack a different sound (Tardis hum) into mine. My project Prius "v" chassis has its noise maker located ahead of the left front tire.

Bill the Engineer

Burna J likes this.
  4. pauerbach

pauerbach Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Here's hoping it's more useful than the older noisemakers. Mine's about as useful as a purring kitten.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our 2010 doesn't have this, but if it did I'd welcome it. It's a safety feature, what's not to like? :confused:

6. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not saying it isn't a thoughtful safety device for blind pedestrians. I just think it would be just as useful with a less obnoxious or more recognizable sound. The present sound is more like an egg beater rapping against an empty mixing bowl rather than the sound a car would make.

Bill the Engineer

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ That sounds like fun.

One thing, I wouldn't categorize the sound maker as being only for blind pedestrians. Anyone walking ahead of you, say in a parking lot or a lane, could benefit from hearing a bit more noise than the sound of tires.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine has a hard to describe whistling, humming whiny sound, maybe like the wind at times. can't hear it with the windows up, barrel outside and most pronounced in the garage. i would prefer silent running but fear big brother will be requiring more noise.
    i like sneaking up on people texting while walking down the middle of the isles in parking lots, and giving them a blast on the horn.