1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius P261b code HELP!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Liddylou, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Liddylou

Liddylou New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Today it was 38 degrees out and my heater wasn’t getting warm. I shut it off turned it back on and it started kicking on then I look at my dash and my check engine light was on. I got to work pulled the code P261b for water pump replacement. No other indicator lights came on vehicle was running like normal. Go to leave for work and the light is off everything seems to be running fine. What is going on?!? I’m so nervous I’ve only had the car for a year with 69,000 miles. Any advise on what I should do??

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    not a huge concern, but you will have to have the trouble codes read to determine which pump might be faulty.
    it is also possible that it was just a glitch, and will not be a problem. wait until the light comes on again.

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That code is for the engine water pump;).

I'd take a look and see if everything is connected fine. Also are there any other dash lights on? Any overheating signs:whistle:?

I've pulled the water pump on several gen3's and I've seen signs that the impeller begins to rub the outer containment causing the impeller to rotate at a lower rpm:cool:.

If you pulled the code can you watch the temperature profile of the engine while running. That'll help with other potentials in addition to any other codes:).

Good luck and keep us posted(y).

SFO likes this.
  4. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV