1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius Towing capacity and Hitch question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by SaabaTheHutt, Mar 20, 2022.

1. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

2. Mr. Q

Mr. Q New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

3. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ill say this...

out of any trialer hitch its the only one you wont need a hitch riser with.

"This 2″ inch trailer hitch receiver is ingeniously angled upward to counteract the Prius’s natural rear end droop. This unique design eliminates the need for a hitch riser, offering a seamless fit and enhanced functionality."

You searched for hitch - black_jmyntrn
    upload_2024-2-24_21-17-5.png

4. Plugin_RK

Plugin_RK Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends entirely on your model of Prius; The first place to look is so look in your owners manual. Indeed Toyota states that many models are not designed for towing (as ASRDogman indicates). However, Toyota does rate some models for towing up to 725kg (1,598lbs), as I have posted elsewhere:

5. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They do great towing. Especially if you're pulling say one or two jet skis to a boat ramp a short 10-20 minute drive away. Stick to around 1000lb and down and stay below 60ish mph and they are fine. I've towed a 1200lb load consisting of a wave runner 1100 and a yamaha 150 on a double jet ski trailer like 1000 miles and it did okay, I was just slower than the semis.
    Big one is check oil often, change at least every 5k engine, every 60k transmission, recommend a magnetic trans drain plug too.

black_jmyntrn likes this.
  6. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Prius pulls fine

Attached Files:

Paladain55 likes this.
  7. Plugin_RK

Plugin_RK Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the large distance between the trailer's axles and your tow ball, as shown in your image (IMG_20240307_150015.jpg). I imagine that would go a long way to reducing the downwards loading on the tow ball/hitch (Tongue weight) even when braking hard. :)

Would its weight be near the 1,600lb rating, which Toyota seems to be giving many of its Prius models these days?

douglasjre likes this.
  8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    3800lbs

9. Plugin_RK

Plugin_RK Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    That's great to know. 3,800lbs (1,700kg) is close to Toyota's rating for a RAV4 Plug-in (and various ICE models). I imagine that long distance between axle and towbar is part of your success i.e. lower towbar loading. I'd like to be able to tow about half that weight with a braked trailer.

Does it drive well albeit a bit slower e.g. Is braking OK, assuming the trailer is braked? Cornering?

Toyota seems to be waking to the fact that most drivers would like to be able to tow things sometime so has started publishing some recommended towing weights e.g. at What are the towing capacities of the latest Toyota models? - Toyota UK Magazine.

#29 Plugin_RK, Apr 17, 2024 at 8:07 PM
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024 at 2:00 AM
    douglasjre likes this.
  10. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It works fine. Of course it's underpowered and I wouldn't try going up a steep hill with this because it'll probably generate too much heat for the motor generators one and two. I'm driving on flat roads and 75° weather. I'm not even going over 65 mph. Our plan well in advance for everything I'm going to do. Of course you know this is overloaded because the trailer weighs more than the car. In an official sense this isn't safe for the masses. But if you're a mechanic, engineer or an experienced truck driver then you would know how to handle this overweight setup.

I weighed the car the other day and with me and my dog and a full tank of gas I was 3,300 lb. So I guess it's 3,000 lb with a full tank of gas since me and my dog and stuff in the trunk weigh 300 together