1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius Trim 2 subpar MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by plai7778, Jan 4, 2017.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe you are driving too slow. are you trying to keep it in ev?

2. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was it raining? I am amazed how much water on the road changes the rolling resistance and drops the mpg. Everyone knows that closer air is more dense when it comes to flying an airplane but is it enough to increase the drag driving down the highway at 65 miles per hour?

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    absolutely.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That all sounds about right. The big factor is your speed. 76~79 mph in the dead of night: is that mandated? What's the posted limit. That translates to around 125 km per hour, something I'd feel uneasy about, in perfect weather, daylight. Look up graphs of speed vs mpg. On a secondary highway if you have to, try 50 mph, see what you get. I'd think the low to mid fifties (mpg).

5. plai7778

plai7778 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At 65mph (105kmph) flat road at 53 degree F (11.2°C) w cruise, my hsi says 47.8mpg (20.2kpl) after 20miles (33km)....Very far off from 52mpg (22kpl)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As you slow down it ticks up dramatically though. As I said before, try 50 mph (80 kmh), and see if you're not in the low to mid fifties. :)

7. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should probably wait until the weather gets warmer before you decide your car is underperforming. A number of factors are likely contributing: temperature, speed, winter gas formulation, among others. I find I get better mileage when I don't use cruise control. Also, how windy was your drive between SF and LA? (My worst tank ever was driving 70 mph with strong headwinds and temps in the 30s: averaged 35 mpg.) Even though winters are a lot colder in the Midwest, my 2011 and 2015 Prii average low-40s mpg in the winter and low-50s in the summer.

Moving Right Along likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Headwinds are like uphill grades. Both drop mpg due to simple physics, it takes more effort to move the car. And higher speeds are somewhat comparable to headwinds.

9. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you are just over reacting for not getting the EPA rated 50mpg from a very good looking 48mpg. We had listed some of the factors like driving conditions, temperature, tire pressure, driving habit, most importantly speed. Like someone suggested (sorry, at the time of typing I forgot who did:p), wait until a warmer month to find your "baseline" to compare to. January isn't a very good time to find your typical mileage because it's usually colder, wetter, windier, and having winter blind gasoline the gas mileage surely suffers.

For myself, I drive mostly on the usually flat hwy880, it's been cold and wet with storm after storm for most part of Dec and Jan, my calculated mpg went from 51 to 47 during the past 2 months. See graph on post #19 (I don't know how to post my Fuelly icon here like lots of members do). It's normal, mpg goes up and down with seasonal changes.

I really think you are doing pretty good and you can just relax and enjoy driving your Prius. Nothing is wrong with your car, it's not a lemon. With warmer weather and summer blend gasoline you sure will have better mpg. Help us to help you more, set up a Fuelly account, upload all your gas fillups, and then you can share more info with us.;)

Hope this helps.

10. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [QUOTE="Phatlife, post: 2474445, member: 148901"power mode will only last till the battery drains out, then you back on the engine [/QUOTE]

What ?? the power/normal/eco mode has NOTHING to do with battery simply put only re-mapping your accelerator pedal. i.e. what the car "thinks" you are want to do sensing the movement of the pedal. So if you floor it in ECO mode you have the same thing (if battery low of course no help from there either)

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ There can be so much misinformation tossed out, it becomes pointless to attempt to correct it, lol.

12. Jerry Liebler

Jerry Liebler Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had a very similar story. My 2012 was totaled in an accident & I bought a 2013 replacement. In the 2013 the HV mileage was way worse than I was used to I tried new tires, replaced the worn and dragging brakes, changed the oil, replaced the air filter, replaced the 12 volt battery all yielded negligible improvement. In desperation I bought a can of Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner ($7.00) and cleaned the MAF, a 10 minute DIY job. Presto as if by magic I got my old car back! I'm still gathering data but it looks like my HV mileage has gone from 46 to 55. Even though your car has only 10,000 miles I recommend you get the appropriate cleaner and clean the MAF sensor. You may also need to replace the air filter.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There was one guy here who might have toasted his MAF due to frequent cleanings. I think you're on the right track, but I guess the thing is to just do a cleaning infrequently, especially if there's a noticeable drop in mpg. Don't make it a yearly thing, for example.

14. Jerry Liebler

Jerry Liebler Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I will venture my opinion. Simply cleaning the MAF following the directions on the CRC cleaner does NO HARM EVER! Based on my knowledge of chemistry and physics, it's simply BS that cleaning ever did ANY harm! If there was dirt holding it together it had already failed, you just didn't know it yet! IMO it should be cleaned EACH and EVERY time an air filter element is changed! That dirty air cleaner has let some CRUD through and it has likely stuck to the hot wire in the MAF sensor causing inaccurate readings which in turn result in a loss of the fine tuning Toyota has implemented. Again IMO cleaning the MAF sensor should be among the first things done whenever poor fuel economy is observed.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. plai7778

plai7778 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks I will consider that. For some reason, lately my mpg have gone up I get around 46-47mpg (44 real time mpg) vs the 40 real time mpg I was freaking out about.

SM-G935T using PriusChat mobile app

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not trying to "shoot down" your efforts. I think what you did is good. I just recall a thread: someone was doing MAF cleaning with the regularitity of oil changes, and it failed, needed replacement. There was some debate that frequent cleaning could have been a factor.

But hey, if you want to get out cap locks and the BS cannon, be my guest, lol.

17. plai7778

plai7778 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah my car has 10k miles I just pulled it out, doesn't seem too dirty, I'll clean it anyways and consider it a first time, when I change my air filter which was also very clean I'll clean it again. But no I don't plan on cleaning it excessively

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

18. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lately the weather has been warmer compare to December and January in California, so plai7778 you should be getting better fuel mileage than couple months ago. Keep us posted on your average and effort to improve gas mileage. ;)

plai7778 likes this.
  19. plai7778

plai7778 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Solved. I bought car in December. I was due for my first oil change about two weeks ago and it turns out that the 12 volt was bad and needed to be replaced. It was cranking at 115cca when it should have been 330 cca. After two weeks along with the warming weather in Cali, i'm at around 50 in the city and between 46-48 on the highway. Thank you guys for the responses. I'm pretty confident this is the cause and after 500 miles, my mpg went up by 4-5mpg under same driving conditions.

RMB likes this.
  20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Warranty replacement?