1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius V 106k on the ODO, I want to put 200k ontop of it 200 miles a day

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by BasedCourier, Nov 3, 2021.

1. BasedCourier

BasedCourier New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I posted this elsewhere but didn't get many detailed answers except for one about the EGR valve. Came here to get a more through run down.

I started doing Uber eats a month ago which made me more gas concious and I went down the rabbit hole and somehow set my sites on the Prius.

I am driving a 2015 Prius V with a 30 day return policy and this thing handles like a dream. I've been putting it through it's paces, 200 miles a day - and have an OBD2 tool will be running tests on it . It's the V so the gas mileage isn't as good as the regular prius but all my other cars are like 25mpg so t's been huge to me.

What can I expect as far as the next thing I'll need to repair if I go this route if I do not get unlucky. If I end up returning it I still want to get a Prius so I also have a few other newb questions.

1-Is it safe to throw on B mode whenever I'm coming to a stop and then back into D when I'm ready to go?
    2-Is it safe/wise to use EV mode the first 25 miles then give it a little nudge on the gas to close the gap? Can I over use EV mode and leave the car without Hybrid Battery at critical times?
    3-One of my favorite things is coming into my neighborhood on EV and going all the way to my house in it. If I ever find a route where I can do EV until empty is it safe to park the car overnight with an empty hybrid battery?

Thanks

2. scona

scona Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A

3. scona

scona Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    You can only drive for about 1/2 a mile in EV mode, the maximum range. You can stop in B mode and switch back to D to drive away, without any problems.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's no real point to doing that.

Regarding the various questions about EV mode: it's very limited, useful (if the car'll allow it) for shuffling position without starting it up, that's about it.

MTN likes this.
  5. BasedCourier

BasedCourier New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Sorry, that was a typo I meant for the first 25mph and then hit the gas , not floor it but a nice steady increase.

6. BasedCourier

BasedCourier New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Ok I think I've got the quote thing working now. Is it safe to run the Hybrid battery down to 1 bar going home and parking it that way over night?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you thinking to to EV mode for the last few blocks, to run it down (it should bottom out at I bars, btw)? Again, EV mode in the hybrid is very limited, just for moving the car between parking spots, that sort of thing. It shouldn't hurt it though.

The mantra here is "just drive it". I would just put the car in normal mode (neither PWR nor ECO), which is basically just mapping throttle response, leave the shifter in D (Drive), and drive it. Over time you'll learn tricks to improve mpg; they mostly involve letting the car do it's thing, conserving momentum, that sort of thing.

8. BasedCourier

BasedCourier New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Yup, for the little bit I'd do EV coming home through the back streets. Leaving from a complete stop I like to go full EV until reaching the 25mph mark then pressing the gas just a little more.

The just drive it thing is ringing more true. I've noticed times I don't try to play games with I get better MPG unless it's a short trip which then makes you ask yourself how much gas from the next trip you wil need to recharge the EV, kinda a pay me now or pay me later situation.

Mendel Leisk likes this.