1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius V Dead Battery

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius2015, May 15, 2021.

1. prius2015

prius2015 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V

I own a 2015 Prius V and live in NJ. The car is sitting idle for 6 months.
    I can jump start the car. But, it is not getting charged.
    I have taken car to a shop and person recommending to replace the battery; costing $1500 for used battery replacement.

I am thinking about 2 options:

Replace the battery at $1500
    Replace the cells in battery; Based on internet, there are 28 cells in battery and cells cost anywhere between $40-$60. I am not even sure, if this is an option.

That is where looking for expert's view here. Is it even worth and possible to replace few cells and get the car running again or should look at complete replacement?

Thanks in advance..

Regards,

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you can jump start the car and it runs and drives, but it won't start on its own, it needs a new $200 12v battery.

3. prius2015

prius2015 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks Rjparker!!
    Really appreciate it.

Does that means, the guy is taking me for a ride..
    As he is asking me to replace the big 200V battery and not 12v one..
    sorry for the repeating the question, just wanted to make sure I clearly understand that I need the smaller one and not the expensive one

Regards,

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes. If it runs and drives after you jump it. Sorry to repeat the answer. Does it run and drive after the jump?

Details:
    The 12v battery almost always dies after leaving it in an inactive car for months. This is caused by a constant small drain the car puts on a 12v battery. In the future if you don't use the car for more than two weeks it is best to have a $30 battery maintainer on the battery to keep it healthy. Most likely your battery would still be good if you did that months ago. However the 12v battery is a consumable anyway and was likely ready for replacement.

Second, a $1500 high voltage battery is still a used battery! Maybe will last six to eighteen months. When you need a hv battery, ask for options. New is best because new can easily last ten or more years. Cost if you are an informed buyer? As low as $1600 if you are a handy diy'er to maybe $2200 for an oem version installed, again if you know how to shop.

No matter what the 12v battery is first and foremost when it comes to getting the hybrid system to driving mode, eg Ready mode. Replace that.

Battery Tender Jr for use with a good 12v battery in storage:

#4 rjparker, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Tim Jones and Ozark Man like this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the 12v auxiliary battery was the original OEM, and was never replaced, it would have needed to be replaced anyway being six years old. That's about the average lifespan of the auxiliary battery.

Letting the car sit for months just did it in, as rjparker mentioned, due to parasitic drain.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. prius2015

prius2015 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thank a lot Rjparker for the detailed answer and thank you Xliderider.

Tim Jones and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Or you can pick up a battery tender jr at walmart today for $29. I just got one and they're great. Just plug it it in, attach it, and forget it except to remove it when you drive.

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A low amp battery tender won't bring back a dead battery, especially one that's 6 yrs old.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. prius2015

prius2015 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks a lot everyone!!
    I purchased 12V battery from Dealership for $235 and changed it. Car is working now.
    Thanks a lot!!

Regards,

Tim Jones and xliderider like this.