1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius v details for USA cars (from Dianne in SoCal)

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by DianneWhitmire, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hate is a strong word but I certainly dislike the clammy soft-tex upholstery. The 8-way power driver seat is a HUGE improvement but I wish the front passenger seat could also have 8-way adjustments.

Why can't the U.S. and Canada get real leather seats and the many other features that are available on the Prius+/v in Europe and other markets? I suggest a new trim level ... the Prius v Six ... that has all the features of the top trim level Prius+ except those that do not meet our regulations.

2. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just have two words for the new front end, BUTT UGLY

ems2158 and Merkey like this.
  3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    There's nothing at all "clammy" about softex seats. Take this from someone living in the desert. Cooler than leather to be sure. Leather generates an ecological nightmare of toxic chemicals used to produce it. Softex is lighter than leather and no toxic chemicals are involved in making it. Its incredibly easy to clean, needs no special maintenance and is also very resistant to tears and punctures. All things considered, Softex is superior to leather in every way. But unless you've lived with it, you don't get to say you don't like it.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My guess for words: IIHS Small Offset Test

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I lived with it a year in our Lexus. In New Mexico, by the way.

Lesson learned

#25 SageBrush, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  6. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My ... be careful not to fall off that soapbox!

I have "lived with" Soft-tex in our 2012 Prius v Five for 2 1/2 years so, yes, I get to say that I don't like it. It looks and feels similar to and is as just as uncomfortable as the MB-Tex vinyl upholstery that I "lived with" in the Mercedes sedan I drove through the entire 1980's. No toxic chemicals are used in making Softex? Softex is a completely synthetic product. Did you think it is made from angel's wings? At least leather comes from a renewal resource ... i.e. cow asses, LOL! Anyway, we didn't buy the Prius v because it is good for the environment but only because 1) it is a Toyota (we are shareholders), 2) it is small enough for my wife to maneuver comfortably, 3) it is a wagon, and 4) it has the Pre-Collision System and radar cruise control.

I'm familiar with the dry southwest if we can count summer in Scottsdale. Maybe Softex works for you in your "dry heat" but it's downright unpleasant here where the humidity is often over 90% on hot summer days. My wife seems to be fine with the Softex so it is usually "not my problem" since I am rarely in the vehicle.

I've never found leather auto upholstery to require much special maintenance. It is just as easy to spray some Lexol leather cleaner on leather seats and wipe them off a couple of times a year as it is to clean vinyl upholstery.

I've never understood why leather upholstery seems so much cooler in hot, humid weather than vinyl upholstery. I probably wouldn't even notice the difference if I didn't drive my wife's Prius for a few minutes every couple of weeks or so and spend the rest of the time driving vehicles with leather seats.

We would actually prefer cloth upholstery but that has gotten virtually impossible to get in highly optioned vehicles. If the Prius v was my daily driver, I would want to convert the Softex upholstery to cloth if possible and to leather if not.

7. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

So there is actually a great story about the Advanced Tech Pkg changes which might not be realized yet. Yes, we did eliminate the Parking system and add LDA and Auto High Beams. And yes, the screen did move from 7" to 6.1" (but the 6.1" is much better than today's 6.1"). But, the real story is in the price if you ask me. We're able to deliver this new package at a much better value than the prior one. The outgoing Adv Tech Pkg is $5650 MSRP while the MY15 one is being offered at $3335. Personally, I think that is more than worth .9" of screen size:)

Best,
    Erica

8. FLbill

FLbill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm with you Erica! That works out to $2572/in.! If we could only have added HUD, it would be perfect...... I will be ordering one in walnut/blk. in January. I want to see the new colors first to be sure.

The black interior will be great here in FL. I know 6 folks here that have V's and they all complain of not being able to see the side view mirrors on a sunny day (normal here!). The sunlight enters the windshield, then reflects on the light colored dash panels (around the AC vent), then onto the side windows. When this problem was reported to Toyota, they responded "it is a known engineering problem".....

Thanks for the info.
    Bill.

Prius Team likes this.
  9. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Take a look at these pictures. 2015 Toyota Prius v gets updated looks and content - Autoblog

It reminds me of what Honda did to the Avalon.

The opinion on the front end reflected in the comments re-styling is not what Toyota would like to see.

And why is it that the automakers insist on bundling desirable features (especially safety/comfort features) with a moon-roof. I hate the moon-roof, don't ever use one, consider it dangerous, robs headroom, adds weight, adds a point of failure, etc.

I'd buy a 2015 v five without the snout and moon-roof with all the options. But not this.

Better get that 2014 while it is available. (My dealer had only one 2 weeks ago.)

10. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    so...I'm guessing no 7 seater?

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Not while CARB requires a 150,000/10 warranty on the battery, I bet.

12. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    This may be true, as far as it goes. But many cars are moving to 8" displays, so going smaller is a step backwards. I suspect that a BIG part of the ATP price reduction is the fact that you are no longer getting a better head unit for the NAV/audio system. That's short-sighted IMHO. The 7" display has real value for maps and split screen usage. Not getting a different or better head unit will be noticed by people looking for the audio upgrade.

I see that this newer type front end design is appearing across the whole Toyota line, which helps explain why the v is getting it. It looks about as dumb on other models as it does on Prius.

13. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yikes! These pictures will sell the rest of the 2014s pretty fast.

skayaks and Stevevee like this.
  14. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    ...what Honda did to the Avalon?
    (LOL)

I have a few 2014's I'd love to unload. Ahem.

First off, I think that style will grow on people. That wide-mouthed bass look or the "angry goose" front end is what we've gravitated towards for the past few years... and aerodynamically, it's worked well. One thing I try to remind everyone: you're IN it, not on it. The exterior of the car isn't anywhere near as important as the interior...

Stevevee and afob3 like this.
  15. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me just say this, about that. If Toyota were not so incredibly dependable, they'd be out of business in a flash. But when I read some of the comments, I know that a certain economist is so spot on. Maybe my 2011 FIVE will reclaim some market value, a drop that I've not experienced in some 40 years.

16. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Spoken like a salesperson. But ugly is still ugly, and it does matter.

ems2158 and Merkey like this.
  17. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want a car that looks like a modern car. I don't want a car that looks like a wide mouth bass. With the amount of money that these cars cost people will choose what they think is best for them. The Mazda cx-5 is looking better to me now.

Merkey likes this.
  18. skayaks

skayaks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    As a C owner, my only qualification for commenting on the appearance of the new v front-end is my brother's ownership of a 2012.
    If his v looked like the 2015 I would taunt him mercilessly, as only caring brothers can do.
    Now I'm hoping the new Liftback was delayed so they could move away from that hideous bottom-feeding maw.
    I haven't seen such a poor design direction since Chris Bangle's botched BMW butt.
    Tastes vary, but oh my!

19. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it is a great mid cycle upgrade. I had an ATP Prius v before getting a RAV4 Limited with JBL. The Rav Entune unit is a substantial upgrade over the 7" in the pre-refreshed v that I had. The black softex seats in the Rav also look and feel nicer than the ones in my old v. It seems like softex is still evolving. The new PCS sounds a lot more aggressive* than the one on the older v. I like the wheels; they appear to be a nicer shade of silver. The bumper is more in line with the regular Prius lift back now and I do like the look a small bit better. If you look at the old bumper, the contour they used to make the new lower already exists. I though about getting some black vinyl to match that contour. The auto hi beams are pretty slick, too. Our Rav has them.

* for example, the PCS equipped Refreshed Sienna is now top safety pick via IIHS thanks to a crash prevention system that meets their criteria. The PCS in older Toyotas did not meet that minimum criteria. I imagine that the refreshed v got the new system.

Tandy 400

20. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Reliability and great fuel mileage only go so far. I'd rather walk than be seen in that thing. That makes the Aztek look pretty good.

GrGramps likes this.