1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius V Electrical Problem

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Carl Mims, Dec 11, 2022.

1. Carl Mims

Carl Mims Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2015 V all the dash lights are on, but no error codes, according to Dr Prius Special Features page. The hybrid battery was at 69% 2 months ago and shows 2/3 full on dash. Dr Prius shows all the cells as green. But again with not start and all dash lights on. The 12v battery is 1 year old Duracell. It was reading 6.78v, took it to Batteries plus and they said it was 11v., kept it 24 hours and charged it. Came back up to 13.3v and cranking amps was down less than 10 amps from spec. Said it was very good. So put back in the car and the same thing. Read 13+ at both the battery and at the Charge port in the fuse box.

Does reading at the charge port mean the 125a fuse is good? I can't find it (see photo). What do I try next? A tow will be about 50 miles to the Dealer, only option I have. BTW it has been outside in - temps, was working fine, sat for the night, and would not start.

Can someone point me to 125a Fuse, Could it be one of the fuses under the dash or someplae else.

[​IMG]

Under the black square area at the lower left is a major electrical connection but does not look like a fuse.. does have a bsr that goes across the front of the connector.. which is intact.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did the nominally 12V charge state and voltage deteriorate overnight in low ambient temperatures? What color is the Start LED when you try to start it?

3. Carl Mims

Carl Mims Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Start LED goes red. Today which is about 48 hr since charged and sitting in car it reads 12.1 All Dash lights come on... will not shift, but only once like 4 days ago, when the battery was low did I get a display error that said something about Aux battery. Climate controls work and radio works.

Guess I am not very observant. When I shift into D get this error for about 10 seconds. Shift after Hybrid System Starts. Below is Dr Prius Display of Hybrid battery

upload_2022-12-11_13-16-53.png

upload_2022-12-11_13-20-39.png

#3 Carl Mims, Dec 11, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. Carl Mims

Carl Mims Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    RJ... maybe I am just not seeing it.. but nothing in that area of my box unless it is black

Attached Files:

6. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Use a good flashlight, unless its changed on a 2015. There is an opening that from an angle with a light you can see the copper link of the fuse. You can also check for 12v downstream of the fuse when off.

EB8150D9-9B56-4425-82C3-F1E3217C5BD7.jpeg
    With flashlight inside of fuse box at an angle
    D98FF720-92CD-463A-9E3C-3A020A75C1EB.jpeg

Straight on it looks like a triangular hole into the box

Attached Files:

#6 rjparker, Dec 11, 2022
    Tim Jones likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mod note: Corrected in later post: voltage at the jump point does NOT confirm the 125 amp fuse is good. See later post for how to check

Yes.

Should you ever need to find it in the future, it's as shown in the photo rjparker posted. Look closely at the photo so you recognize the angle it had to be taken from. But right now, you don't need to find it, because the reading you got means it's ok.

You mentioned a lot of dash lights on, but you didn't give us any of the corresponding trouble codes, because Dr. Prius didn't show you them (Dr. Prius is known for showing only a small subset of trouble codes available in the car). Getting the codes—all the codes—could well have been the first thing to do, but since it wasn't, it's a good choice for the next thing to do.

We have a thread that compares a bunch of different apps and indicates which ones retrieve all the codes, for a Gen 2:

Gen2 OBD2 app review | PriusChat

We don't quite have a thread like that where they are tested with Gen 3. But probably the ones with the best showings on the Gen 2 page are good candidates for a Gen 3 also. It's possible that some will work with the same dongle you already have for Dr. Prius.

#7 ChapmanF, Dec 11, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2022
  8. Carl Mims

Carl Mims Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    No error codes on Dr Prius. All I have is a VeePeak Bluetooth ODB2 reader I am using with Dr Prius. Reading through the info on the thread you sent to see if any of those will work on IOS with VeePeak

So if the Hybrid batt is ok from the above screen shot, the 125A fuse is ok.. guess since I get 13+v at the charge port in the fuse box. Wondering if it has something to do with it properly sensing the brake being pushed or the electronics involved in that. But then again.. first thing you get is all the right side lights staying on.

#8 Carl Mims, Dec 11, 2022
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do the brale lights come on when you step on the pedal?

Air_Boss likes this.
  10. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Actually voltage at the red jump point does not guarantee the 125a fuse is good. It does say the 140a at the battery is ok. Check power on the 30a engine w/p fuse with the system off.

08210045-043D-4BE0-A916-C558376381C9.jpeg

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry for my brain fart. Yes, rj's right. I even posted a photo back in April showing several easy places to test for the condition of the 125 amp fuse, and then forgot all about it when I posted above.

[​IMG]

If you put one meter probe on a good ground and touch poke the other down the square hole with the lower green arrow, or touch it to any of those green-indicated test points on the fuses above it, a reading of battery voltage will tell you that fuse is good.

12. Carl Mims

Carl Mims Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    OK, got a better reader and the following code shows up. So can someone interpret for me and tell me what is likely the issue. Would that cause it not to start or go to D?

upload_2022-12-14_19-29-16.png

13. Carl Mims

Carl Mims Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    MICE For an update, the wiring was chewed by rodents (likely mice) just sitting outside for 24 hr to prevent it from starting. Then sat out for another week to provide more meals and guessing more wire was eaten. There were multiple places down under and behind the inverter and the cable that comes to the left side of the inverter. 6hr repair at the dealer with removal of the inverter. They were very familiar with where exactly to look.

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    rodente! :mad:

15. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon