1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius V P261B code. 90,000 Miles

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gary from 11561, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Gary from 11561

Gary from 11561 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2015 Prius V with close to 90,000 Miles.
    Last week I replaced the 7 year old 12V battery after the car shut down and went into limp mode. Car drives fine now. I started getting an intermittent CEL recently (I think a few weeks ago). Now it stays on more frequently. I had a friend use an OBDII scanner and got the P261B code.
    Why would a made in Japan Prius coolant pump last only 90,000 miles? I read so many stories of having over 200,000 miles with same pump.
    Is there a good way to figure out if it's a relay or wiring issue before I have a mechanic replace the pump?
    While the car is "READY" I can hear a buzz and then a rattle intermittently comes on. Does this sound like the pump is working or failing or nothing to do with the pump at all? I wanted to attach a recording, but Prius chat won't let me.

Also, why is there no coolant temp gauge or warning on a Prius? Will the car will just shut down if it overheats?

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that atypical unfortunately. it is actually one of the weaker points of the prius, although 90k ain't horrible.
    the car will not shut down, and you might get a warning light, but it can potentially damage the engine by then.
    tech stream will nail it down definitively, but it's probably the pump.
    here's one video among many:
    watch

the buzzing when you open the door is the brake fluid pump, that might be next.