1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius v power cuts off while in motion, anyone?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ben2jz, Apr 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ben2jz

Ben2jz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Hi everyone. My wife was driving today on the freeway. Luckily it was traffic so her speed was around 40. The car radio cuts off, AC and pretty much everything electronic died out. The car still can steer and accelerate. As she was trying to pull over, the car was trying to reboot itself. The screen indicated the car was running off the battery. It booted up after a few min and all is normal again.

I took the car out for a 20 min drive trying to replicated this but couldn't get it to. I did notice that the the hybrid system is loaded them normal when driving and idle.

Has anyone experience this with the 2015?
    I'll be taking the car in first thing tomorrow. Thanks!

22,235 miles btw.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Strange. Obviously some control and power remained if she could accelerate. I have heard about "limp home" mode when some sensor goes into alarm, like coolant. Let us know what the dealer says.

#2 rjparker, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be clueless but 12v batt would be one thing to check..look under hood for rodent damage and in the cabin/engine air filters for mice

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Also, check the +/- terminals for tightness.

5. Ben2jz

Ben2jz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    It's in service as we speak. Going to be here all day. I am curious too to hear what they have to say. I have after market fog and rear bumper break lights. They better not try to link those to the problem. Sigh. Update soon.

If anyone else had issues like this before please share it. Love to hear your problem/fix. Thanks.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what does 'the car was trying to reboot itself' look like to the driver? any dash lights come on?

7. Ben2jz

Ben2jz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    My wife said all the electronic just stop working. Then the dash came back on like a normal start up but it froze so it did it again. This time the screen show the hybrid system but only the battery was being used. It was draining fast she said. The motor finally kick in and everything was back to normal.

Update; the dealer could not pull any code from the car. I ask to see the result and everything did check out as stated. They also try to replicate the problem by driving for 14 miles but couldn't. The rep suggested to just drive straight to the dealer if this ever happen again so they can try to retrieve a code on the spot. We will try to get it on video if this ever happen again.

I also ask what happen if it does this again after my warrant expired. He said it will be honor as it is on file base on the vin.

Also we had the navi freezing up since the first day of owning the car. Since we were here and able to prove it. They said it is going to be replace.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, driving straight there won't help. it either stores a code or it doesn't. glad they are replacing the nav anyway, maybe they're tied together. all the best!(y)

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In a traditional non-hybrid, this is where I'd start. But in a Prius, the 12V battery is unneeded after the car boots up to 'Ready', so my best guess is on a similar loose connection somewhere, but not actually at the battery.

On a previous new car of mine, the problem eventually turned out to be a loose ground strap between engine block and frame. The bolt was put through the cable lug and spun to catch a few threads, but never fully hand-tightened, let alone wrench-tightened. Usually it made good enough contact to start, but sometimes it didn't. Unfortunately, something of this sort could lurk almost anywhere, in innumerable possible locations.
    I'm reasonably certain that my problem was linked to an aftermarket accessory (factory-authorized A/C, installed by the selling dealership). The ground strap would have been removed or loosened during installation, and not properly reconnected later.

#9 fuzzy1, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  10. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I really wish Toyota would sell a paper service manual and not force us with that on-line manual access.

You had it at the dealer, so one assumes they know what to look for.
    Funny the Prius won't leave a historic code.
    That in itself could be a lead, as with many cars once a 12 volt battery is disconnected codes erase with no trace.

From above I could echo to check all the body ground straps.
    Sometimes there may be a dozen of these and without a manual I have no leads for the OP as where to look to these.

Battery connectors would be suspect on a non-hybrid car.

Last idea would be to lift the Prius and look at the under carriage for a road hazard that may have dmaged the under carriage and wiring harnesses.

Please don't rule out your aftermarket wiring. You did fuse those components and use the correct fuse number (like a 7.5 amp and not a 30) yes? Plus where did you tap the wiring for power? Yep, suspect, I'd recheck that and then totally rule it out as a potential cause.

Good luck.

11. Ben2jz

Ben2jz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    My connections are pretty solid as I tapped into the factory wire harness under the hood. It's been there for almost a year now but I will double check it along with everything else.

The car did get an oil change before this had happen. I'll back track that too. Thanks for the tips. If I find anything or anything new happens, I'll keep you guys posted. Thank.