1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Rodent Nest

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 7akizzle, Mar 29, 2023.

Tags:
  1. 7akizzle

7akizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey y’all,

So I parked my car in the storage for a year and a half. Went to a mechanic who found tons of rat poison pellets in my cabin filter and remove them. However, I’m still finding pallets in the cabin filter after driving and not sure where to take my car to to get it cleaned out for a possible nest somewhere else in the vehicle. Do I take it to pest control, different mechanic, or a detailer? Any help appreciated!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Probably a good car cleaning and detail place I mean nobody's going to want to take the car apart to try and get up into the vents and stuff like that without having a discussion with you about it first because they're going to want to get paid The rat's nest could be anywhere in the vent system so you know you may be able to get a small shop vac hose and feed it down through the vents where they disconnect under the dash and see if they can pull out stuff from either side of the heater core stuff like that it'll just be time consuming and that sort of thing they make adapters for my Shop-Vac that go all the way down to I don't even know what it is a half inch hose for computer keyboard dusting and whatnot so you can get into some pretty tight places now of course you can't suck up a whole lot through a half inch hose but it can stick to the end and you can pull it up whatever I hope it works out my friend.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would just clean it out yourself, one heck of a lot cheaper. Then take off the wipers and cowl, and install some 1/4” opening galvanized steel rodent wire mesh (readily available hardware store item) over the cabin air intake.

At the top of 3rd gen maintenance forum there’s a pinned thread on @NutzAboutBolts videos. Look for the one on spark plug replacement, shows how to remove wipers and cowl.

just editorial: rodent don’t usually poop “poison pellets”, nor “pallets”, lol.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This thread is not on Gen3, but it gives you an idea of where mice may be nesting. I really doubt they are rats.
    Mouse nesting locations in the Prius Prime

You need to determine if they are nesting in the engine compartment or inside the cabin. Make sure to check the under-deck area in the rear. There are a few entrances in the back as well. But, the fact you are seeing the signs of rodents on the cabin filter behind the glove box, chances are that they are coming from the engine compartment. Even if they are not nesting in the engine compartment, they may be coming in and taking nap or getting ready to build next during the nightly visits. I have had repeated visits even after cleaning the engine compartment. If you can park in a different location, that may help.

5. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II