1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Tire Reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Keith Elkin, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    My 2013 Prius Persona came with Bridgestone Turanza’s (17"), and they lasted me just shy of 80K miles. I always felt that they were loud and didn't grab the road very well, but I understand the Prius comes with low friction tires to help boost the MPG so that's to be expected.

It's time for new tires, the treads are FLAT on these things.. I don't even know how I passed inspection a few months ago. I want to buy something that will work well year round, won't be loud, and I don't mind a slight hit on the MPG to get there but would prefer to avoid it if I can. Anyone have any suggestions on what to get these days? My plan is to go to TireRack and have the tires shipped to Mavis, unless people have better suggestions.
    Thanks
    -Keith

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    80k miles on a 2013? Very nice. Here I thought hitting 80k miles on my 2012 was a lot of miles. Kudos to you road warrior. I have no recommendations for you as I've only researched 15" sizes for myself and I've decided on EP422 plus. I'm going to replace mine once the sky opens up a bit which is normally now but Godzilla El Niño is still a no show. Again, nice job, sir!

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It'll really help responders to know where you're spending that year 'round, ie: Texas, North Dakota, Perth?

Anyway, assuming you're not expecting it to deal with snow, just rain: maybe the Michelen Premier A/S would work?

Personally I'll probably go for the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 (have 17" too), but I've got separate snow tires. Kinda wonder why, we seem to get less and less snow. Fair amount of icy conditions though.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW I went with the Conti True Contacts which you can see on Tire Rack....Tire Rack seems to be the main place you can get those. I am not expecting 80k miles...you may need to go with a good quality Michelin to get the tread life you probably need.

#4 wjtracy, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  5. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks, yeah I drive 100 miles a day to commute to and from work so the miles add up fast. I hope the car lasts longer than the next set of tires!

Sorry, I thought my profile showed my location, I see it doesn't now.. weird.. I'm on Long Island so you never know. We went one winter with just a single dusting of snow and that was it.. then a year or two later and we had three separate storms that dumped 2.5' of snow each time. The weather is just so weird here.. Though I have no intentions of driving this thing out in a storm like that... I don't go out in the Prius if they're expecting more than 8" in any one felt swoop, I save the Pathfinder for that. I do want to be able to handle my 100 mile round trip commute in rain, sleet, ice though.
    -Keith

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah it's funny: the east coast has been getting insane snow. Over here next to nothing. We were in SERIOUS trouble with the winter Olympics, lol.

I kinda hesitate to say, 'cause it's a big financial step: but you might want to consider snow tires. Anytime the temps are staying below 7C (45F), a snow tire grips a lot better, even on bare roads, due softer rubber compounds. I went with 15" XIce on Corolla rims, fwiw.

7. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Continental TrueContact in the 17" Prius size has a 90k warranty and scores pretty highly for snow according to TireRack. I have the 15" and will replace the EP20's that came on the car with the TC in my size when the time comes. Good luck.

8. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Michelin Premier A/S 215 45 17 for me.

9. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I actually had my eye on those tires, they seem to have a pretty high score.. but I also noticed a few reviews where they complained about the tire wearing fast, getting out of round, needing to get re-balanced often, and having problems getting warranty service from Tire Rack.. yet they scored the tire a 4... so I question the integrity of the score for the tire. I need to order something quick since I have no business driving this car on the current tires.. but don't want to make a mistake either... Yikes...

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota used EP422 on both 15" and 17" rims, on the 4th gen showing at Las Vegas. This doesn't necessarily mean they're the best choice, just that they would have low rolling resistance, and be half-decent.

mmmodem likes this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can say that again...last year at this time, one day before our appointment to install the True Contacts, my wife spun out on a rainy road going around a bend and she had a fender bender with a parked car. Wish we had the new ones on there.

I was also wondering about the True Contact reviews...some said out-of-round on minivans giving bumpy roads. So my minivan went with Defenders, thought the Prius might be OK with smaller 15 in wheels I have, so there we did the True Contacts.

12. ColorguardJames

ColorguardJames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Any updates on the True Contacts? I just upgraded to 17" wheels so I'm getting them put on with TCs on Thursday.