1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Toyota NS4 Advanced Plug-In Updates, Photos & Videos!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Sergiospl, Jun 22, 2013.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There is still no proof out there that the "NS4" will ever go into production.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When Toyota said "NS4’s advanced powertrain targets a next-generation Hybrid Synergy Drive plug-in system featuring reductions in component size and weight with improved overall fuel economy, better acceleration and longer all-electric range, while maintaining a short charge time.", I did not understand how they could increase AER while maintaining a short charge time.

Now that they unviled SiC transistor, I am able to comprehend.

3. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I really really hope NS4 will make it into production either in the form of PiP or another model and I also hope it will be announced alongside regular Prius G4. The worst scenario would be to upgrade to a G4 and to then hear about NS4 afterwards.

4. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Waiting is cool, just don't hold your breath. You may never get a breath again.

6. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Until now I couldn't quite imagine a production toyota hybrid with large wheels such as those on NS4. Sure they look great but we all know what large sized tyres do to the all important mpg figure. Now however, it seems we can have the best of both worlds. Conti.eContact Tire Dedicated To Hybrid Vehicles - HybridCars.com
    The concept is looking more and more like a real possibility.

#66 cmth, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If they are competing with tesla it would have to be so!

Ever checked out the interior and specs of a tesla? But it still has no backup when your out of electricity.

The Name is interesting too, "NS4" almost like a challenge to tesla... "model S"

It even looks much like a tesla... I'm guessing a 50 - 55k price tag.

Toyota could steal the show "almost" If they presented this.

8. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The NS4 is a concept car, which is just a visualization of a potential goal. The Gen IV Prius will be a production car, which must hit every target of performance, reliability and cost. The generational improvements are much more likely to be incremental than radical.

They have already delayed the introduction of the Gen IV by at least 6 months. Based on their own benchmark of a "10% improvement" over the previous generation, this suggests that the benchmarks are getting harder to achieve.

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota needs to quit wasting money "visualizing" and do it... Buy the time the "visualized" car becomes reality, the competition did it!

cmth likes this.
  10. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you examine the recent history of the automobile industry, they have all conceived "concept cars." I suppose the purpose is to mostly to showcase at auto shows, and create a "media buzz." Few make it into production.

The NS4 appears to achievable to me, in fact, it looks to me like one of the Hyundai models was "inspired" by the NS4 ..... a few trim changes, and it would be difficult to distinguish which is which.

11. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know of a single concept car which was taken directly into production as-is. Of course it's concepts must be "achievable," but not necessarily in this lifetime.

Felt likes this.
  12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Body style is totally achievable.. No excuse there... They can't say it wouldn't sell... But it "would" detract from their base.

13. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The body style isn't based on achievability, it's based on how well it sells cars and how it reflects on the brand.

Felt likes this.
  14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not sure they know how well it sells if they never offer it.

They don't have a hangup on reflecting a brand.. It gets back to money is all that matters... They are not trying to save the world... They also make the giant suvs and all other luxury cars and heavy commercial vehicles that aren't gas conscious.

15. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The money is the only reason a production car gets made, and the only reason any further developments occur. The Toyota engineers may have been doing their work for "love of craft" but without a doubt, their bosses were allowing them to do only that which would eventually sell more cars.

#75 GregP507, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    windstrings likes this.
  16. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota came up with NS4 a few years ago & at the time, I remember seeing it and thinking woow, a sign of great things to come from Toyota. Unfortunately, none of the production cars since then had the same effect, the latest Camry for example seem to be a patch up of an 80s sedan. Im afraid it is looking increasingly like the designers at Toyota who came up with great designs have abandoned the company. Personally I wouldn't even bother having a second look at Toyota concepts in the future - not worth the time.

Felt likes this.
  17. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    cmth - I suppose (without really knowing) that the progression of an automobile design from "concept" to "design development" to "production" follows a pattern that occurs in most fields. A corporation wants creative and imaginative designers. They customarily will conceive and produce "concepts" with little concern for engineering, manufacturing issues and most important, cost. Meanwhile, the engineering department is wrestling with space limitations, weight, reliability and ...... costs. Production people are toiling with assembly sequences, robotic assemblies, availability of materials ..... and cost. In most endeavors, there is a tremendous competition among these entities. Then consider "front office" demands, many of which are not designers, or engineers. I can easily understand why a 6 month delay is necessary.

I am an architect. The conceptual design is creative, fun, and inspiring ..... but sometimes un-buildable, and most often out of the clients budget.

But you know all that.

cmth and windstrings like this.
  18. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like its close to production. See the spy photo below.
    [​IMG]

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Makes sense, but what's going on when we see the car already physically built?
    That means a factory had to tool and die for it as well as full engineering etc.... All that work and expense accomplished and then it's just a toy to show off?

Do they not really do the specs they claim or conceptualize or even run at all?

Seems it's a pipe dream meant to deceive?

Just testing the market? How do they test it without getting it on the streets?

Look how long it took for the prius to take hold as a good looking car?
    Here you have a car that's great looking right off the press... How and why does it not get released?

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks like a Buick! Lol!