1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 with 300,000 km

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Ozmit88, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Ozmit88

Ozmit88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is it worth it to buy a 300k km 2015 prius for $6k in Toronto, Canada.
    I plan to do Uber ridershare & food delivery on it.
    Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks.

2. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    That’s a lot of mileage in a relatively short time, do you know any details on the prior owner/use case and/or maintenance history? The good thing is with that much mileage in that timeframe it is *likely* a significant portion was highway driving, which is generally easier on a car.

Also, is this a plug-in or regular Prius (you posted in the Plug-in forum).

The price seems reasonable, but it really depends on whether it was maintained well. The battery potentially needing a rebuild or replacement at some point is the main thing to be concerned about at that mileage, and that is a $1k-$3k repair depending if you rebuild or replace (for a regular Prius). Either way, be sure to have it inspected before buying.

FYI, I am also in the GTA and I know a private shop in Vaughan that specialized in Prius and is very trustworthy (he has rebuilt a battery and done other maintenance for me in the past) if you want me to connect you with him.

Good luck!

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you heard about EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system cleaning? More info in my signature. If it's never been done, there's a decent chance the engine's flirting with head gasket failure (if it hasn't already).

2015 will have the updated piston and rings, which were revised (part way through model year 2014), in an effort to mitigate runaway oil consumption some have been experiencing.

Also, regarding 300K kms, I seem to recall someone here saying Uber (and the like?) require drivers to have cars with less than some cut-off miles on the odo. Somewhere around 150K miles??

Paragraph above might be urban legend, not sure. Google was inconclusive.