1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Brake Fluid Flush w/o Techstream?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pnw_jk, Feb 23, 2022.

1. pnw_jk

pnw_jk New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm a beginner DIY mechanic that's about to undertake changing my own oil, coolant, and transmission fluids in the next weekend or so. All the above seem pretty easy except the brake fluids. I'm waiting on some brake fluid testing strips/tool to determine if I should even change my brake fluids but they are six years old.

I've noticed after reading and watching videos about this that I need a Toyota software for the flush since the pedals are electronic. Some videos like the Car Care Nut says that it's possible to do it without the software by using a vacuum pump.

I'm wondering if this the job I should leave to my dealership (they're charging $220), or if there is a way to get the software? I have a Bluetooth scan tool and the Dr. Prius app if that helps.

#1 pnw_jk, Feb 23, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You might start by looking in the Repair Manual for your model year (more info) to see if there is a procedure for "brake fluid replacement (without Techstream)".

There is for Gen 3, even though there isn't any non-Techstream procedure for bleeding. The difference is that in fluid replacement, there's no air in the system to begin with, and as long as you're super careful none gets in with your fluid replacement, you don't need all of the operations in the Techstream procedure for actual bleeding.

But you'd need to look in the Gen 4 repair manual to be sure, because the brake system significantly changed.

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Repair Manual for model years 2016–2022, under Brake: Brake System (Other): Brake Fluid: Replacement, does indeed have a procedure for “REPLACE BRAKE FLUID (When Not Using the Techstream).” As @ChapmanF kindly pointed out, this procedure is valid only if you’re careful not to let any air get into the system.

For fourth-generation Prius cars, there is also now a procedure for “BLEED BRAKE LINE (When Not Using the Techstream).” This applies only to the lines, however; bleeding the complete system, as to remove air in the brake booster with master cylinder or actuator assemblies, requires a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system or equivalent. Toyota warns, “CAUTION: The Techstream must be used for bleeding the brake system. If not used, the air bleeding will be incomplete, which is hazardous and may lead to an accident.
    The Toyota Techstream software is available with a Professional Diagnostic subscription to techinfo.toyota.com, from $65 for two days. If your Bluetooth scan tool provides an SAE J2534 library, it might be compatible.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Repair Manual info. The "without Techstream" method starts about halfway in:

Attached Files:

Doug McC and Mandrade007 like this.
  5. pnw_jk

pnw_jk New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you everyone! (Especially Mendel! Are these PDFs from TechInfo?!)

I was also wondering what are people's thoughts on the procedures laid out in the video below where he doesn't even turn the car on itself? Also are there certain precautions I should be aware of to not get air in at all?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Somone scooped everything into a pdf a while back. I got a copy and create pdf excerpts as needed.

7. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Definitely check with other Toyota dealerships. A brake flush shouldn't be more than $120 or so and that includes the fluid too. I did mine at the dealer instead of a local shop specifically for the use of Techstream and wanted it done right. I even brought my own fluid and they used it.

**** ninja edit **** I checked my post about the services I did and I actually listed the price. The dealership charges me $109 for brake flush

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm with you....love doing my own maintenance, the more the better! Our family has seven cars and I try my best to keep them all updated on maintenance. (The hardest part is getting my hands on them for an afternoon.) My wife's 2017 will be due for a brake fluid flush this year and I have a scan tool that has the feature of turning on/off the ABS system to bleed without having to pump the brakes, or using a suction device.
    The scan tool is called XTool D7 and is pretty impressive although I wasn't able to use it to program a new key fob for my daughters' 2016 Mazda. (But the professional who ended up doing it took 4-hours and had to use two different high-tech tools to do it, so I don't feel as bad....those Mazda security systems are pretty complex.) FWIW my 2021 Prius has 44 computers it can talk with and do diagnostics.
    I've asked The Car Care Nut to use either his D7 or D8 scanner to bleed brakes so hopefully he finds a Toyota to make a video on it. (There's not a lot out there, right now.)
    Not sure if you want to spend that much money...but here's his reviews on the XTool scanners

michael myers likes this.
  9. Brandon Kennedy

Brandon Kennedy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My two cents.

I’ve did the brake flush two times. I’ve not used anything other than putting the car in maintenance mode cracking the line at each wheel, and then having someone keep the reservoir over halfway… first wheel I’ll wait til new fluid is coming out. Then I’ll pump it, close valve, on to next wheel. Bam, new fluid through all lines, no air… simple as any other vehicle.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not Invalid Mode?

11. Brandon Kennedy

Brandon Kennedy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Oops. Might have been invalid mode. Idk where I got maintenance mode from… or maybe I did it in maintenance mode both times and got lucky lol. I honestly can’t remember I’ve only did it twice.

#11 Brandon Kennedy, Mar 1, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    i trust car care nut, so whatever he recommends sounds like it would be sufficient. It’s pretty much equivalent to pressure bleeding which many shops do. They probably use an air compressor instead of pumping. Just remember to not open and close the door in middle of the procedure.

13. pnw_jk

pnw_jk New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks everyone. I called all the trusted mechanics and the dealerships around my area and the cheapest I got it to was $160 at the Toyota dealership. I guess with the high cost of living in Seattle, it's no surprise that basic services like brake flush can be pricey.

As much as I like working on my own car, I doubt I'll be able to make up the cost of the D7 if I only do brake flushes every so often. I may try what Car Care Nut video says maybe in a few years when the fluids need to be replaced again but I wonder what happens to the old fluid left in the ABS unit since there's no way to pump that out without Techstream. It's too bad there isn't a free tool like FORScan for Toyotas.

14. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    If your dealer let's you bring your own fluids, use Motul DOT 5.1.It's better performing and absorbs less moisture than either DOT 3 or 4. Don't confuse 5.1 and 5. Huge difference with DOT 5 being completely incompatible with regular brake fluid. Motul is also the same price if not cheaper than OEM. My dealership is really cool and let's me bring in all my own fluids (oil, transmission, brake). For a brake flush, bring two bottles. Screenshot_20220303_205911.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ve done a couple of non-Techstream method brake fluid changes on our ‘10, not hard. Cost me (each time) about $15 for a couple of Toyota DOT3 pints.

16. pnw_jk

pnw_jk New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ugh. Lesson learned. I took it to the dealership and they charged me $180. In the process they spilled brake fluid over the black plastic cowl, ripped the rubber gasket, and overfilled the brake fluid way above the max line.

I guess they were too busy to undo the gasket, check the fluids were level, and clean up any spills. I feel like I should’ve just done the job myself. So disappointing.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check the bleed valves still have caps. It’s a little tricky, but you should be able to do it without raising car or removing wheels. Also, just make sure the brakes feel normal.

do you recall where the level was before you took it in? Aim to get it back there, with a baster or what have you.

Keep in mind: the level will drop about 1/2” when you open drivers door, activate pump. The “after” level is likely best to use.

18. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I personally would never let any shop do maintenance items, even dealership…unless it was part of free maintenance. Those jobs they usually let the newer mechanics handle which you never know how they would perform.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That should not be the case with something so life-and-death important. Sadly it is: we had a similar experience at a Honda dealership a few years back; half the bleed bolt caps were missing, and one of the rear corners was NOT braking at all...

They heard about, lol.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In earlier generations, the level markings on the fluid bottle are expressly positioned to be right when the system is "zeroed down"—that is, when there is no fluid stored in the accumulator under pressure and it has all returned to the reservoir. This is the state before you open the driver's door or otherwise wake the system up.

If you let the system pump up pressure, the reservoir level goes down (as Mendel notes), and the level markings are not correct then. For example, if you fill to what looks like MAX while the system is pressurized, the next time it has zeroed down, you will see that it is overfilled. (That might, even, be one of the mistakes the dealer made here.)

I assume the markings in Gen 4 are meant to be used the same way, but I haven't looked it up in a Gen 4 repair manual to make sure.