1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 FOUR Touring, PCP or Not? Help Me Decide

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by PriUncut, May 14, 2016.

1. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It appears to, but since it says "Impaired tire will be replaced with your inflated spare," that's only going to happen if you have a spare.

ETP likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So there's a flaw in their plan lol. If they start removing spare tires from their vehicles, then Safety Connect will no longer be changing tires on newer vehicles.

ETP likes this.
  3. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Submitted a question online. Tried calling but get in an endless loop. Dealer next.Will the impaired driver be replaced?:LOL:

4. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They'll probably just use a flatbed to take you to a dealer?

ETP likes this.
  5. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Free donuts and coffee.
    Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus (H- or V-Speed Rated)
    BTW, dealers never stock the OEMs on your car.

Might need to strategically place an OEM spare tire and no wheel somewhere in the space time continuum.
    Need to check my time machine on where the next flat will be.

6. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ETP likes this.
  7. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yep, awesome tire though.

Ok. TOYO CARE. Covers everything for towing . Just not a new tire as far as I know unless it is a tire warranty issue. maybe.

#27 ETP, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably. Hopefully you're close by and not in the middle of nowhere.

ETP likes this.
  9. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Never quite understood Toyota's trim level systems on the Prius. Pretty weird in my books if I may be so bold to say.
    One would think 4T with both PCP and ATP would be the top tier trim. But albeit not.

LG-H901 ?

Plus a possible 3-5 MPG saving from 17"?

LG-H901 ?

ETP likes this.
  10. Scuderia Priusi

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Agreed, another sad artifact of the arcane and frustrating regional marketing which persists in the auto industry today. Some of that restriction-of-choice is due to govt-mandated emissions & overall MPG targets. In the USA this can mean selling X more Prii without a spare tire and/or certain other option combinations so they hit a certain MPG target, to offset the Y increase in sales of (highly-profitable!) large pickups and SUVs.
    Of course, some of the blame can always be attributed to good ole misreading the market. Humans are involved, after all!

As to TOP: yes, get the PCP. The ICS and JBL audio are worth it, IMO. (LOL, not intentionally going for the record on TLAs!)

#30 Scuderia Priusi, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
    ETP and Frederickdawg like this.
  11. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for package confirmation. I think you have the Magnetic Gray Metallic I'm leaning towards as well. Hard to tell from the small picture. Do I have that right? How's that color worked out?

ETP likes this.
  12. Scuderia Priusi

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, that's right I do. It was my second choice for color, and it's worked out better than I'd expected. You can judge for yourself, see post #12:
    Pics of your Gen4 right now! | PriusChat
    After tweaking the settings for it, I've found that the ICS is a nice feature to have when maneuvering in tight quarters.
    The up-rated JBL audio bumps pretty well and I've gotten some nice compliments on the sound, so I don't feel any urgency to make any changes in that area soon. :cool:

PriUncut likes this.
  13. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I checked out the Premium JBL sound system a little more at the dealership yesterday. But like others have posted, the system is very bass heavy!! Even turning down the bass setting (and turning up the highs)... it's still not the premium sound system I would expect.

The problem is the bass is the WRONG kind of bass! It's not like a subwoofer operating around 100-200 hz. To my ears... it sounds like something broader in bandwidth. Like 100-500 hz or more. I might even take an audio analyzer with me (at some point) to confirm that.

Although XM was the only source I listen to, I found the non-PCP system to be sonically the same (just less power). I plan on taking my own test material for another listen soon. But I don't know what to make of it. My Pioneer (after market) in my other Toyota (w/stock speakers) sounds much better... and has far more controls.

By adjusting the front to back fader (ratio) and the tone controls... I can get it sounding better. But still disappointing. I'm bummed. The car is not perfect... but I've managed to overcome other limitations and be happy... but I'm rethinking the audio. I'm not spending that kind of money on a car and then having to look to modify the audio.

It’s pretty darn boomy and heavy. I would have expected it to be more like a home entrainment system, but it’s not. A little bummed :(

#33 PriUncut, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Tideland Prius, Frederickdawg and ETP like this.
  14. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Both salesmen turned up the mid, low, and highs. I immediately set them to flat.

15. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My exact sentiments , I stated that bass was heavy but you clarified and explained it much better than I had. Hopefully software update can rememdy this.

LG-H901 ?

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

The Owners Manual says to put wheel chocks fore-and-aft on the tire diagonally across from the flat. Unfortunately it's up to owners to get in gear and acquire said wheel chocks. (Prius Team?)

Anyway, a few items to make a tire change safer:

1. Aforementioned pair of wheel chocks
    2. Small square of plywood (scissor jack base on soft ground)
    3. Day-glo/reflective triangle or cone
    4. Day-glo/reflective safety vest

ETP likes this.
  17. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Still wondering what to do about the no spare tire. Covered for a tow if I do not mind the wait. I guess pack a large bottle of a strong drink and enjoy the wait.:ROFLMAO:

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I like that UK Toyota site: with the Excel level, if you want the spare, just tick this box. :

upload_2016-5-20_9-6-36.png

Also, this is kinda hilarious. Should I get the engine? Better tick this one:

upload_2016-5-20_9-1-57.png

KrPtNk and ETP like this.
  19. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I will definitely have an engine.

Scuderia Priusi and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yup, my salesman did the same thing... well he turned up the lows and highs and I too turned them back to flat.

I called JBL today and tried to talk to somebody about the issue. They of course said to talk to Toyota. I said well you have this: Sites-JB-US-Site on your website... and you have nobody to discuss it with me? Nope. So I made them take down a complaint (which I doubt they did).

It's interesting to note that the JBL site says: "RELENTLESS ADJUSTMENT - Custom Tuning
    Our engineers spend hundreds of hours collaborating with Toyota to make the system match the vehicle."

My theory is this: road noise is typically low end frequencies. So maybe Toyota purposefully accentuated the "low end" to help "mask" any road noise... or to work in conjunction with their other insulation efforts... to make the system match the vehicle?

Or the "engineers (who) spend hundreds of hours collaborating with Toyota" did it all at once? Hundred's of hours back to back (haha) and they lost there objectivity and prospective? At least that's my theory... and I'm sticking to it!

Tomorrow I'm going with my music (CD's and a thumb drive) that I’m more familiar with, for another listen.

ETP likes this.