1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2016 Gen 4 Prius Reveal Set for September 8th

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Aug 19, 2015.

1. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    yeah, they just fixed the countdown timer. Darn. No pre-preview tonight. :-(

2. RhettP

RhettP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    9 pm? why so late?

3. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Maybe a compromise. Basically first official international showing. 1pm in Japan, 6am in Germany, West Coasters get to see before bedtime...

4. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm worried that the reveal tomorrow night won't give us data, just a show of the exterior and interior and a lot of marketing hype.

Toyota introduced the Rav4 Hybrid back at the beginning of the year with no data. The Rav4 hybrid is pretty much the same as the non hybrid. The only interesting piece of data then would be the MPG rating of the model with the hybrid. But many months have gone by without Toyota revealing that single spec. I'm thinking the Prius IV intro will be the same. The real data might be released in Germany. Yes it's only a few more days but I have my hopes up now and want answers. We are ready to buy a new car and I'm hoping it will be the Gen IV.

I know the MPG will be higher so I don't really care how Toyota did it. New engine, new synergy design, lighter weight, it really doesn't matter to me. What do I care about?

1) Will it have a donut spare. No spare = no sale for me. I'm serious about this.

2) How bad are the gauges. I hate Toyota gauges that are not in front of the driver. This is not a show stopper for me. I can live with it. But I really want the speed indicator in front of me. I can make my own mod and put a speed display, based on GPS signals, in front of me.

Pretty much all the rest I just expect some positive tweaks all around. I've seen the photos of the cars in the airplane and they are fine. The looks of the car aren't all that important to me. Also we've been happy with the seats and driving characteristics of our Gen II. Truth be told if I could buy a brand new Gen II that would be fine.

So I hope to hear the car has a spare tire tomorrow night. Beyond that I can't think of anything they would do to the car that would stand in the way of us placing an order ASAP.

5. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here I am starting work and what is the first thing I do? Check the latest updates on PC :) Okay we have seen a lot of "I want this and that from Gen4 reveal" type posts lately so I thought I'd throw in my bit...

I really hope they give us technical information in Vegas reveal, yes that is important. And hopefully they will give some info about the other models due to follow. I have no issues with Toyota marketing hype, they need to sell this car after all.

6. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sergiospl and cmth like this.
  7. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had the opportunity to test drive the Gen IV....

In my dream. The anticipation is definitely a killer and it's not taking sleep away from me. My review:

The back is a little wider and noticeable. The power on the vehicle is definitely more powerful but not tremendously more powerful. I liked that the HV mode provided more power overall and yet the MPG tracker said 50 mpg (it's like I can get a minimum of 50 mpg for not trying). Console still in the center. Interior looks nicer and just feel a little larger overall.

Drove it in the desert in Vegas so we'll see how it fairs in the northeast and alaska.

I kid you not, this is not real but I had this dream, Wth?

Tracksyde and Danny like this.
  8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    15 hours...

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There were 2 trim levels, in the on-a-plane shots. Two different battery chemistries? Just a thought.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    arghhhhhh!!!!!!!!:mad:

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hehe

Iamjo20 likes this.
  12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  13. Iamjo20

Iamjo20 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Really hoping for a MUCH quieter interior noise level--can hope........truly waiting to see the REAL vehicle----zzzzzzzz

Ursamajor likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope it's lexus like quality for fiat prices.;)

15. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My dream had the Prius being able to accelerate better under EV and could go 2 miles EV (ie, the acceleration in the EV line was much much better.

Anyway, interestingly enough I had an appointment today at the dealership. Asked a guy about the 2016 Prius, he said he had no idea, nothing on his inventory but Toyota keeps it well under wraps and typically customers know more in general. Asked about PiP and he said he thought they were discontinued but was corrected by another employee who said there's a new one coming out soon with bigger range.

Perhaps the new PiP gets introduced at detroit and released summer as an limited 2016 model then rolls over into 2017?

Here's to 4-wheel drive, 2 miles EV and 58 mpg to the regular Prius, not looking butt-ugly either lol

cmth likes this.
  16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there any info on how long this Sept 8th reveal lasts, or what the agenda is? Is it just standing around a locked Prius for two hours, seeing a couple presentations or are people traveling thousands of miles for a surprise? (I assume people have to pay for their own flights).

#136 cycledrum, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a US media event so you can bet there will be previews and other articles written on it by your favourite car magazine.

Of course, you can see it live and interact with us on PC :)

cycledrum likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a lot of clueless people who couldn't care less will be there for the free drinks and food, and will write a lot of stupidity in the coming weeks.

Danny likes this.
  19. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You've brilliantly described modern main-stream journalism.

Trollbait and Danny like this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no offense to the fine owners and operators here. a very handsome and well educated group.

TonyPSchaefer and Mendel Leisk like this.