1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Gen 4 Two ECO vs 2011 Gen 3 Two on the highway

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by JohnF, Mar 11, 2016.

1. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yesterday I took my first highway trip in my new Prius Two ECO, a roughly 60 mile run to Springfield MA, 5 hours wait (for paint protective film and tinting), and return. Mostly on divided highway, where I noticed differences between my Gen 3 and the new car which may be useful. I'll try not to repeat too much of what has already been posted about differences in warmup and local driving.

(1) Compared to my Gen 3, the battery feels like it has a lot more oomph. The car will move along gas engine off at much higher speeds and up steeper inclines. My Gen 3 was 5 years old, so perhaps its NiMH battery had weakened?
    (2) The Gen 3's gas engine restarted exactly when the load reached the line marking the midpoint of its range. The Gen 4 has a bit of latitude there.
    (3) It will go into battery-only at far higher speeds, >60mph, than the <46mph that the Gen 3 was limited to.
    (4) It will coast in N up to at least 70mph with the gas engine off. So this becomes a possibly useful highway tool, for example if the battery is fully charged and you don't want the drag of regen slowing you down.
    (5) Here is the big one: Cruise control is a bad idea because it never shuts down the gas engine, even under conditions where the car would happily run with the gas engine off if cruise control were not set. Perhaps this is because it never lifts off the gas completely, and this is the "trigger" the car needs to stop the gas engine?
    (6) Subjective, but it seems that shutting the gas engine off requires a very deliberate lifting off the accelerator and depressing it lightly. So I have to constantly remind myself to do that if conditions seem right to go battery-only. It seems to me that the Gen 3 would shut down its gas engine on its own "initiative" under conditions of light load.

Incidentally, (5) and (6) are some of the reasons that autonomous cars will need a lot of programming to match the MPG that a live driver can attain.

The averages were 76.3mpg on the way there and 83.0mpg on the way home, nearly identical route in opposite direction. I was quite pleased with that until I read that the average mpg in the 2016 Prius reads 5% high, just as the 2011 Prius did! I have not run a full tank through it yet so I'm not sure, but it was probably more like 72mpg and 79mpg actual.

Conditions were: mostly at 55 +/- 5 mph. It includes a warmup from cold (car is parked outdoors overnight) and from 85F coolant temp when I started home. Ambient temp around 60F on the way there, 70-75F returning, not much wind, humid, occasional drizzle both ways. OEM Toyo tires at 45psi.

One of the best summer highway trips in my 2011 netted 76.8mpg indicated over 140 miles (I found a photo of the display), or about 6mpg less than the 83.0 on my return trip yesterday. The EPA highway ratings for the two Prii are 48 and 53mpg, a difference of 5mpg. A surprisingly good correlation.

#1 JohnF, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    skayaks likes this.
  2. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It depends on the load. 55 MPH is when this becomes an issue. At 45 the engine turns on and off on it's own. Sometimes when I have a good headwind at 45MPH, it won't shut down the engine. In that case I just wait for the SOC charge to charge up to 6 bars, click down one on the cruise control and then back up to 45. That does the trick. You might try that at 55 to see what happens. Regardless, when the engine fails to drop out, you do see a much higher instantaneous MPG due to no longer charging the battery. I'm not sure if a constant engine on at higher instantaneous MPG is any better or worse than cycling between the engine and battery. I'm sure one day I will give it a try but on my commute over the back roads, the limit is between 25 and 45 MPH so I never have a reason to find out.

bwilson4web and JohnF like this.
  3. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, I'll try those things. I was at 50-60mph yesterday so always above the 45mph "barrier". Most highways around here have lots of mild up and downhills, so I try to take the downhills engine-off and uphills engine-on (and charging the battery). More or less.

All of this is new. With the Gen 3, no matter what I did at speeds >46mph the engine was always running so cruise control was fine.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, direct feedback from real world owners is most helpful in getting an idea about the reality of ownership and operation of the Gen 4.

By this I take it you mean it will STAY in battery power up to much higher speeds?

5. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm still exploring that. Definitely above the 46mph limit the Gen 3 had. It seems to be more load-limited than speed-limited as the Gen 3 was.

At least from my viewpoint it's an improvement in almost every way from the Gen 3. Less space to store stuff inside the car, which is forcing me to cut back on the junk I had in the Gen 3, not necessarily a bad thing. Though it would be nice to have space under the trunk floor for a first aid kit and a set of jumper cables.

Methinks you need a test drive!

#5 JohnF, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota is good at evolution.
    Except for the accordion looking rear end, I had/have little doubt it's a better incarnation.

But I really never jump on the first year of a new model. I'm more than willing to let others be the "Testers".

A test drive would be a temptation probably best left alone.
    An aggressive salesperson, a sudden drop in blood sugar, and I could end up in a very nice Gen 4, but with car payments I'd rather not have.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Interesting. Ford has used an Eco-Cruise feature in its hybrid for several years now that avoids this. I wonder why Toyota didn't? Patents are my guess. Anyway, it softly applies the throttle on up/down grades (expressway overpasses for example) and allows the drivetrain to go into EV mode when possible. But the best thing is the smoothness and seamless transitions between modes and acceleration in general. The eco feature is optional and can be toggle on/off so CC works like the old way. I've never turned it off.

8. tzx4

tzx4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After reading your post, while driving my '16 Two Eco, just reporting what I experienced, the green EV icon does light up while cruise control is regulating the speed of the car.

GaryD1 and bwilson4web like this.
  9. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ditto here. I use a Scangauge set to display RPM as one of the four readouts, and RPM did not go to 0 with cruise control set on that run. I was not paying attention to the green EV icon. You're right that around town when not using cruise control the green EV icon correlates with RPM=0. I have highway trips to do Thursday and Friday so I'll check out cruise control again on those runs.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not going to zero rpm does not mean the ICE was burning fuel. Without a clutch, the system might have to spin up the ICE at higher speeds.

11. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good point. I'll look at the GPH reading as well.

12. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have just the regular Escape, but the transmission definitely behaves differently with cruise control on versus off. On a steep hill, it will stay locked up in high gear much longer with the cruise control. Many times, on the same hill, I can't give it enough gas to maintain speed before it disconnects the torque converter clutch and/or downshifts. Very annoying, because I know it should be able to make it up the hill in top gear, but apparently they're putting throttle response ahead of economy when not in cruise control.

13. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I took more highway trips and have to revise what I said earlier. I was wrong:

When the "EV" light goes on, the Scangauge shows RPM=0 and GPH=0.04, and I can feel the gas engine shut off. The 0.04 seems to be a sort of placeholder. I always saw a minimum of 0.02 in my Gen 3, so I assume these placeholders are to avoid calculations using a zero value, which might cause problems in the computers?

More importantly, cruise control does not LOCK the gas engine on, at least not completely. Monitoring the greenish curved load bar, one sees that the gas engine kicks in when the load rises to the line marking the midpoint (50%) of the range, and shuts off when the load drops below 25% (assuming that the coolant temp is high enough and other parameters are satisfied). This happens whether the cruise control is ON or OFF.

So say I am are driving along with cruise control ON and the gas engine running with load >50%, say going up a hill. As I crest it, the load drops, say to a steady level somewhere between 25% and 50%. As long as the load remains 25-50%, the gas engine will continue to run. If the downhill is steep enough, load will fall to <25% and the gas engine will shut off, contrary to what I posted previously.

However, if cruise control were OFF in the same scenario, assuming I am alert enough to notice (not always!), as soon as the load drops to <50% I could lift off the throttle for a second or two. Load momentarily drops to <25%, gas engine shuts off and I go into EV. Then I can reapply (electric) load via the accelerator pedal, and the gas engine will remain off as long as I keep my foot light enough to hold load <50% (for as long as battery power lasts.

I still think I get better MPG with cruise control OFF because I can use EV more, at least in the gently rolling terrain around here. But I have to be paying attention to kick the gas engine off when possible.

I apologize for the confusion, I think I have it right this time!

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My wife has a 2013 Escape, what I find annoying with it is when using cruise control and the transmission downshifts on a downgrade for mo apparent reason.

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I need some highway metrics on cruise control:
    • warmed up - at least 10 minutes of operation
    • optimum distance 10 miles or whatever leads to a steady state, MPG
    • bi-directional for same route - to help neutralize altitude and wind effects
    The metrics needed are:
    • temperature
    • indicated MPG
    • distance
    • average mph
    • level and tires
    I'll be happy to handle the rest of the math. Actually, I need this from anyone who is doing highway or any constant speed routes. This will make it easier to update my mph vs MPG chart:
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

16. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah yes, it will do that to get enough engine braking to keep the set speed. If it didn't do that, it would gain an arbitrary amount of speed down a steep hill. The Prius does this too, in that it will use a *lot* of regen in cruise to prevent accelerating downhill.

In both cases, this is somewhat less than ideal as most other people on the road are doing 15+ over the limit down the hill and you become a rolling roadblock.

17. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For most purposes I find cruise control to be too militant in keeping a precisely constant speed no matter what. Especially if no traffic is behind you, letting speed sag approaching the top of a hill can improve MPG since speed can be regained on the downhill after the crest. And you can build up momentum near the bottom of a hill to carry you along onto the next hill or level stretch.

I'm still figuring out the Gen 4, but in the Gen 3 it can help MPG to coast in neutral on the highway. According to the ScanGauge, the GPH when coasting in neutral is about half what it would be while coasting in D, so therefore the MPG roughly doubles. At highway speeds the Gen 3 does not shut down the gas engine even in N, so the savings could be even greater for the Gen 4 if it will shut down the gas engine while coasting in N. Another advantage of N is that one can coast down gentler hills that one would have to drive down in D.

Obviously if the battery needs regen or if the hill is so steep that the car would pick up too much speed in N, it can be left in D to take advantage of the braking effect of regen.

In the Gen 3, I used the cruise control on the highway a lot because the gas engine would never shut down. So I'd roll along in cruise control and switch to N when I came to a downhill.

#17 JohnF, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  18. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bob,
    Are some on your labels wrong? You are showing Prius 2 ECO (Pwr) twice and Prius 2 (NiMH_17") which is not available.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There are five tests with two different fuels. I suspect we are seeing two different test.

Yes, I agree about the "Prius 2 (NiMH 17") but I looked at the test vehicle weight and it matched the Prius 2. So I took a 'leap of faith' since that particular model is not well identified by the e-mail. I am OK if you want to call it something else.

Bob Wilson

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Hopefully this link will let you get a copy of the excel sheet I used:
    High_res_16_tcdabase.xls - Google Drive

I'll add some notes later describing each spreadsheet and my work. I've always preferred collaboration and have no problem with making changes once we reach consensus.

Bob Wilson