1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 HUD

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by PatInOhio, Nov 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. PatInOhio

PatInOhio New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello,
    I purchased a 2016 Prius Four Touring back in February. I thought I had read something about a Heads-Up-Display being offered on 2016's but mine doesn't seem to have one. The salesman didn't know much about it, but guessed that the HUD was just the multi-function display. I am very happy with the car and didn't think much more about it until I saw a you-tube video of the HUD. It mentioned it was standard. What am I missing? Do I have an HUD? If so, how do I turn it on? There is a blank button cover to the lower left of the steering wheel, but no button marked HUD.
    Thanks,
    Pat

2. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The 2016 Touring models didn't have them. HUD was not an option for the Touring models. I'm not sure about the 2017 models.

I wanted HUD and the good stereo. I would have gone for the touring if it weren't for the fact that I couldn't get the HUD. I ended up with the most expensive version of this car for those two features. I didn't care for the moon roof. it turns out I kind of like it. But I'm very happy I held out for the HUD and the JBL sound system.

dfine1966 and RCO like this.
  3. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you Prius has HUD you should find a HUD button in that spot....I suppose that is not a standard feature despite what was said...

Here's a video going over the HUD

Personally I don't think it is really needed...neat but superfluous

RCO likes this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A salesman who doesn't know the difference between a HUD and the MFD?
    Well that means he/she was very uneducated about the product and/or they just wanted to sell you the product they had in stock.

If you are happy with the vehicle, I think you can rest easy knowing you aren't missing something that the vehicle has...because it doesn't have it.
    If you really wanted it?
    Well the first warning sign was when the Salesman started "guessing".

RCO likes this.
  5. RCE1

RCE1 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I was a little surprised when my Gen4 Touring didn't have the HUD. The car I test drove which sparked my interest in Prii did, but this is my first Prius and I really wanted the Touring version. It isn't the end of the world. I'd get an aftermarket one but I am sort of cord averse and don't want any extra junk on the dash that isn't factory.

RCO likes this.
  6. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you expect? For the salesman to say a car doesn't come with that option? :ROFLMAO:

RCO likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No but I would expect a salesman to know the difference between a HUD and the vehicles MFD.

If a customer asks if a vehicle is equipped with something, a good salesman doesn't "guess".

'LectroFuel and krmcg like this.
  8. MichelleStone

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I almost purchased my car a month earlier. I test drove one at another dealership. The sales guy did get me in to look over the paperwork after the drive. The car had an HUD but he hadn't shown it to me. I saw the option on the paperwork and asked him if the car really had a heads up display because I really didn't know about this feature. No one in the office knew what the option was. They too sort of guessed around the bush to say that it was the MID. Had they shown me the HUD option in operation, they would have sold the car on the spot.

JamesCobalt and RCO like this.
  9. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In short?
    Given all the available information on the internet, I think it's our responsibility as consumers to know what we want, and what is available. The information exists.
    You can't count on the knowledge or even "honesty" of a car salesman. They want to sell you the car, you've sat in, that day if possible. They aren't highly motivated to look for a different product, or nix a sale on the brink because of a single feature.

I think this is bad, a good salesperson, knows their product and works to give the customer what they want, as much as possible.
    BUT...
    If you really want HUD? I think it's ultimately the consumers responsibility to KNOW the vehicle has it, before signing the contract.

RCO likes this.
  10. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Before I bought my car, I asked the salesman if the car had the HUD. He didn't know so I found the HUD button myself and showed him how to work it LOL. He also didn't know what the "A/C driver's seat only button" was for.:rolleyes:

RCO likes this.
  11. JConradTX

JConradTX New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought the P4 with advanced tech package with the HUD. It's not worth it. The opening for the projection is way too small so that if you lean either right or left slightly from a straight on position it cuts off. Plus it doesn't show when the vehicle switches to EV mode so I find myself constantly looking at the MFD anyway. Because of these two issues I have the HUD turned off 99% of time now.

RCO likes this.
  12. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't let yourself get distracted by whether you're using ice or EV while driving. The car is smart enough to always know which is best at all times. Many on here agree that it's best to just drive it like any other car and you'll still get good mpg.

I do agree with you about the HUD. You need to be sat in just the right position for it to be seen and that isn't necessarily the most comfortable position for all drivers.

13. MichelleStone

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At the end of a drive, you can see the trip overview which includes the percentage of EV driving. This is displayed when you turn the car off. I use this to judge my driving. It's the best time to do it because I'm parked and not driving.

14. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This was the first HUD I've had. I think I have the speed limit on there. If the car didn't have it I wouldn't care.

But the sun roof I love. Great on those days between summer and winter.

krmcg likes this.