1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Mirai - new owner thread

Discussion in 'Fuel Cell Vehicles' started by OldNSlow, Feb 23, 2016.

1. OldNSlow

OldNSlow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Photos of our new Mirai can be seen in Media in OldNSlow pics

Very very comfortable, quiet, solid car. When they said Lexus quality and ride they weren't exaggerating. Very happy. I have about 500 miles on it in just a few days of driving. getting over 300 miles on a tank appears not to be a problem but I'm filling up when my range drops below 100. The car estimates range at 330 miles* when filled up, but very careful driving appears to be able to give you more. I'm seeing 70+ MPGe with reasonable mixed driving. But I'm not always driving for mileage :). Filled up twice using two different stations in So Cal with smooth quick operation. My actual is 63.09 Miles/kg with those fill ups. A third station that is close is opening in two weeks, so I'll have three stations very close to me. Stations are open allowing me to drive to Fresno (through Coalinga), San Francisco and Sacramento, and back so I'm happy. I count 12 Toyota approved stations now accessible in CA with more coming - looking good.

* this was the first estimated range - subsequent estimated range after filling have varied between 295 and 315

My favorite review:

#1 OldNSlow, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Fueleconomy.gov is lists the Mirai as a subcompact, but the site doesn't give the extra details for FCEVs like it does for other cars. So no volume numbers for the cabin or trunk. Toyota's site isn't helpful either. What is your impression of the cabin space and trunk?
    Compare Fuel Cell Vehicles

Have you looked into getting the home power hook up?

hotelprisoner likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent choice on color! Cool LED's there in the air dam indent. Believe Toyota should stick an LED in the blue of the emblem and make that blue jump out, if that's legal.
    How was the fill-up time?

I have asked the mods to ban you from reading past threads ;)(just kidding but caution).

Welcome!

4. OldNSlow

OldNSlow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Cabin feels slightly larger overall than my Prius, but the console and rear fixed armrest probably take up more volume than that of the Prius's. I can run some basic measurements tonight. Haven't paid any attention to the trunk yet, will have to grab some luggage and play with it. I rode in the back seats during the Demo last year and felt there was reasonable room - will have to compare with the Prius with the front seat in comparable position.

The connector for Home power hookup was not an option for these initial 2016 MY orders - they may be available on the 2017's. Wasn't a priority for me. I know some of the demo cars had the option already installed. I have an old house and I really don't want to mess with the electrical. And when I found out I couldn't help quickly charge a BEV in distress on the side of the road it became a moot point (heh)

I'm actually a lurker here off and on since 2006 but it was under my actual name so I decided to start fresh. Back then someone suggested that the front and rear emblems glow blue while driving when the engine shut off :) To show when they were running electric only lol

Fill up was just a couple of minutes, forgot to time, but will next time - pretty quick.

Already read them ;-) I'm a big boy. no worries. The philosophy I have on these cars is that I want a comfortable car, and if it can be a little more green, so much the better. I'm a fan of Toyota reliability and happy to pay to be a guinea pig. If you analyze the economics of the lease deal along with the rebates, tax credits and fuel allocation, you'll realize we're not paying that much ;-) I'll let those that know more hash out the relative greenness. I got teased when I got a Prius, but I think we've had the last laugh on that ! I can handle anything anyone says about the lovely Mirai.

#4 OldNSlow, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2016
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? Probably because Toyota didn't give them specifications. It did not feel like a subcompact. If anything, it felt like a small midsize. (like a mid 90s Camry).

dbcassidy and OldNSlow like this.
  6. OldNSlow

OldNSlow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    #6 OldNSlow, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    AFAIK toyota has not released passenger or cargo volume for the mirai, and magazines have not been given the car without a tender so that they could measure. I'm not sure why toyota does not want to disclose the information. Pehaps when they lease a few hundred they will disclose the numbers, or a car magazine will be left alone long enough to measure it.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as cargo volume, I'd want to see Japan numbers as the EPA cargo space seems like a meaningless number to me.

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So your Mirai doesn't have the Chademo PTD(it's not a plug!) in the trunk. I was curious about whether the required EVSE for powering a house were available yet.

The car maker has some flexibility in what the car is classified as; wagon or SUV. Not much with a sedan though, and this simply be because Toyota didn't submit anything, or an error on the EPA site. For a car that is as big as a Camry on the outside, subcompact does seem too small for the interior. Even considering the rear armrest.

For wagons and SUVs, meaningless seems true. There are multiple standards for taking the measures, and variance with the people doing the measuring. This is likely true of the Japan numbers too.

For sedans, the measurement isn't taken from measuring the trunk, but by how many standard sized boxes can be placed inside.

From OldNSlow's measurements I'm getting 22cuft. The larger Crown Vic is listed at 21cuft on Fueleconomy.gov, and the 2016 Camry and Avalon at 15 and 16 cubic feet.

Interior length 80.3in
    Interior width 57.7in
    Interior height 46.6in

I just don't know how those figures compare to head, hip, shoulder, and leg room figures.

10. OldNSlow

OldNSlow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was under the impression there are already quite a few on the way: Honda Power Exporter 9000, the Nichicon EVPower Station.

Toyota Mirai Can Serve As Emergency Power Supply Using CHAdeMO

Honda Power Exporter 9000 -- Use CHAdeMO-Compatible EVs As Generators | PlanetSave

Recharge Your Nissan LEAF Via Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell Sedan heh

I suspended my moniker and had a very spirited drive home last night (in power mode of course) - this tanks' range will definitely be below 300 miles ;-) My MPGe for that 60 mile trip was about 47 :)) Still not bad for a Type A left lane drive where no one passes you. Did determine that max cruise control speed is well into the triple digits, but kept my speed to that of traffic on I-5 going through the Camp Pendleton area :) :) :). And the car will read incoming texts to you.

(ie slightly below triple digits)

#10 OldNSlow, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2016
    fotomoto and austingreen like this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Autobahn-ready

OldNSlow likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    OldNSlow glad you are no longer slow ;-) Test your new car out and keep having fun with it.

If you have to ask you can't afford it;) Its one of those things available in Japan not the US. I'm sure it would be too expensive for anyone to take as an option in the US if toyota charged what it cost, but if they want a press release for US they will discount it to something they think will sell the 10 or 20 units for PR. My guess is their cost is around $4000/unit.

#13 austingreen, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That sounds about what I'd espect considering it's Chademo.
    Considering that the PTD was in their press release, I'm surprised that they wouldn't have it available from the start.

15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The mirai is one of the most hyped car every. They throw the kitchen sink into the press releases. Power from BS? Sure you could build it, but no one is. Coal sequestration in australia, why not. Cheaper than a tesla? Will sell better than teslas 50 years from now. There is no there there in most of the pr. You can get a feeling about what is real from the board meetings.

Power wall (or other battery back up) versus diesel generator versus mirai with v2h - we all know only in japan with government additonal subsidies would the mirai v2h work. That doesn't mean v2h won't work, but you can do it on a prius too, I think bobwilson rolled his own. A phev is even a better platform and toyota made it available in the prius phv in japan. This looks like an expensive way to go about it, but idk, maybe in 10 years they bring the cost down. I think in a power outage you are more likely to be able to drive out to fill with gas somewhere (with a back up generator for the pump) than hydrogen. Hydrogen stations being built today all need lots of grid electricity to pump.

I'm glad oldnslow is part of this test, and we should test out these fcv, but I think v2h and v2g programs are much better tested with phevs. My local utility is doing a small test with doe funds and special versions of plug-ins. The doe and car manufacturers are eating the extra cost.

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think the V2H EVSE available in Japan will work with any Chademo equipped plug in. Perhaps a Tesla owner with a Chademo adapter will be willing to experiment.:)

lensovet likes this.
  17. OldNSlow

OldNSlow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Rolled over 1,000 miles this weekend - stats are now averaging 65.66 MPGe, 64.89/Miles/kg.
    Drove 301.3 miles on a tank this weekend with 21 mile indicated range remaining, refilled 4.4kg and it took 4 mins 30 seconds. Best commute day so far was 75.7 MPGe over 117.4 miles early last week (1/2 fwy 1/2 street). I've filled up at 4 different stations so far to check them out.
    Initial indicated range after refueling has been different each time, 330, 295, 315, 308. Irrespective of of the initial range, miles driven and remaining range settles in to equal around 320 after I've been driving a while.
    Have not seen another Mirai on the road yet.

#17 OldNSlow, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you are putting a good amount of miles on...do you have an estimate of annual total you will do?

19. OldNSlow

OldNSlow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I drive over 30k per year, I'm guessing I'll be driving around 20k in the Mirai and either paying the $.15/mile over 12k per the lease, or buying the car at the end of the lease. I'm estimating that the fuel credit will last 60k miles over 3 years, so I'll probably aim at using that up. Kick starting the market for Hydrogen is Toyota's intent, so I'm happy to help.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For comparison, here are some of our 2006 Prius Miles per Tank last 10 fill-ups (this winter). Soon we will start getting better range with warmer temps and summer fuels. You are doing more highway driving than we are, so we would do better range than Mirai at equivalent conditions.

OldNSlow likes this.