1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Odometer Error

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by krousdb, Apr 8, 2016.

1. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have seen numerous posts regarding Odometer error but could not find a thread that was devoted to it. So here it is..... Fuel Economy is calculated by distance over volume of fuel used (in the US anyway), and since Odometer Error in the 2016 Prius seems to be significant in a way that helps to offset the MFD error, I think it is an important topic to discuss.

When I first got the 2016 Prius Two Eco, I noticed that the distance of my normal trips, mainly a 127.5 mile Round Trip Commute had gotten shorter (now 125 miles). So to determine if the 2016 was under reporting, or if the 2004, 2008 and 2012 Prii were over reporting, I set up a approx. 17 mile test loop (as measure by Google maps) near my home. After looping three times, I found that the 2016 Under reported by 1.9%, 50.0 miles registered and 51.0 miles actual.

Then JohnF mentioned the Speedtracker App for smart phones on another thread. I downloaded the free install and tried it out yesterday on my way from Fayetteville, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC. I stopped near the end at the 100 mile mark on the Odometer and compared the App to the Odometer.
    IMG_0277.JPG IMG_0275.PNG

You can see that the App showed 101.9 miles while the trip Odo showed 99.9. That is a 2% error when using the Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ 195/65/R15's. You can also compare average speed and see that the Prius display is around one MPH slower, which may also be 2% (can't tell for sure due to the lack of a significant digit in the Prius display). It would be interesting to see if the Toyo's are different than the Bridgestones and if the 17" tires are have a significant error. If you are able to do this with an App or GPS, please post your results here.

GaryD1, JohnF, pakitt and 2 others like this.
  2. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am curious about this myself.
    I track the commute roads I do, and changing the winter to summer tires (16" vs 17" tires) does change the overall distance traveled.
    I will try to do a test with the app with a loop with the Gen3 and whenever I will get my Gen4 repeat it.
    So far my average underestimation of fuel consumption is, considering changes at the pump that can hardly be verified, 6.5%. How much of that is gas station pump inaccuracy, foam in the tank due to speed of fueling up, odometer wrongly calculating distance based on type of tires used and their wear, volume of fuel based on temperature (winter/summer), it is quite likely "unknown"...

degenerated likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That new odometer error would approximately match my post-odometer-lawsuit 2014 Forester, which is somewhere between 1.8 and 2% low.

My 2010 and 2012 Prii were/are underreading by just 0.2-0.3%. My pre-lawsuit Subaru was similarly close to 0%.

For calibration, I used many roadside mileposts on I90 from the Columbia River to the Idaho border (some posts are offset, but there is only a single busted segment, around MP220 at Ritzville) and a Garmin automotive GPS.

#3 fuzzy1, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    degenerated and GaryD1 like this.
  4. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @krousdb: Thank you for starting this thread! If you get a chance, could you see how accurate SpeedTracker is around your 17 mile loop?

I agree it is important that people list their tires when posting data, because even with the same size designation the circumferences of tires from different manufacturers could be different.

BTW, there was a famous incident with AJ Foyt and the Ford GT40 being tested at Daytona where tires stamped the same actually had different circumferences. Dirt track racers like AJ knew this, and always measured their tire's circumferences so they could put them on the car according to size to create "stagger" so the car would turn better in the desired direction (usually left I think).

ucla107 and bwilson4web like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No odometer can be absolutely accurate. The consequences of an odometer reading too high are lawsuits, from owners claiming they were excluded from warranty prematurely. Consider too that as tires wear down and OD reduces, the odometer reports will get closer to accurate, perhaps eventually read slightly high.

#5 Mendel Leisk, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    xliderider, alanclarkeau and GaryD1 like this.
  6. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used Delorme and set start and finish on 100 mile route, my odometer reading was 99.6 miles, delorme had it being exactly 100.0 so I was .4 mile off, which gives me about the same reading you got. I have Gen 3, 15 inch wheels, have 30k miles on Michelin energy savers A/S. The Delorme is real close within a few feet.

7. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I installed the app, it asked if I wanted to use apple or google maps. I chose google so I expect the results will be the same. I will run the loop again to see if both methods match.

8. aurelio

aurelio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is an error in your reasoning. If your mileage is underestimated by 2%, mpg will also be underestimated by that same 2%, so MFD should be reporting less mpg than your really get.

9. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think not. The MFD overstates MPG by around 5% in my case. Since distance displayed is 2% under reported, the reported MPG is 5% - 2% = 3% overstated compared to actual distance traveled divided by gallons pumped..

10. aurelio

aurelio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    % units affect using multiplication, not sumatory. To substract 2% from that 5% you should do this: 0.05*(1-0.02)=0.049 equal 4.9%.

So basically adding a 2% odometer error means that the corrected overstated mpg calculation is 4.9% above real instead of 5%.

Turns out it is negligible!

krmcg and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If this is true for the whole time, you'll have 1900km extra warranty.

But seriously, as your tyres wear, it will become less, and possibly reverse. Are you able to do the calculation over the life of your tyres and report back?

12. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Are you sure about that? Thinking in terms of ratios, if miles/gallons = 1.05 of normal, and miles = 1x normal, that would means gallons was 1/1.05, or about .952 of the true gallons used (95.2%). If miles is also 2% low, wouldn't the ratio be .98/.952 = 1.029? In that case the displayed MPG would now be 2.9% high. Maybe my math is wrong, but that's how I'd calculate it.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Normally (with typical inflation pressures and working loads), the portion of the tire on the road is flat, not round, so the normal circle equations don't work well for figure changes in rolling circumference as the tread wears. The actual changes appears to be much less than one would expect from the circle equations.

With modern steel belted radial tires, the rolling circumference is very closely tied to the length of the steel belts underneath the tread. These belt lengths do not change much, or at all, as the tread thins.

Tire spec sheets usually include RPM: revolutions per mile. Use that figure.

Merged.

????????

(1 + 5%) * (1 - 2%) = (1.05)* (0.98) = 1.029 = 1 + 2.9%.

2.9% is more than a negligible change from 5%. The difference between the 3% that Krousbd expressed, and the 2.9% dropping out of this calculation, is negligible.

JohnF, Kramah313 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. ucla107

ucla107 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'll have to check this out next week... I tend to overinflated my tires a bit too, and I wonder if there is a % difference because of that...

When folks post data, can they post tire size, psi, miles on the tires and the mileage and mpg results?

iPhone ?

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With the old bias ply tires, this may have made a difference. But with the modern steel belted radials, I'm betting that you won't be able to see the odometer calibration difference without some high precision measurements, or some absurdly high pressures. (Or too-low pressures, or very lightly loaded tires.)

JohnF likes this.
  16. aurelio

aurelio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are correct. The right way to do the math is taking into account the total value, 1.05, and not just the .05 as I did.

So taking this result as correct, we end with a corrected 2.9% error over refueling method.

I think that margin is about the same range of error we could get with refueling measurments, bBut the car's estimation error figure is consistent for everyone that calculates it. It should be a consistent error with some dispersion and measurements should be in a small range instead of that closely wrong all of them.

So I think it's possible than the the car's computer estimation is already corrected by the engineers that designed it, and we are making consistently the same mistake and getting an underestimation with the fillup method. We really don't have as much data and knowledge about the car as them.

After concluding a consistent 2.9% between refueling calculations and onboard computer figure, I think it means that it's highly probable that it is already correct and we are making wrong assumptions somewhere.

We should probably take the car's value as reliable.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you saying the Prius accurately reports mpg? Or just the odo is accurate?

The latter yeah, the former nyet.

18. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It could depend on how it senses whether the tank is full at the start. Does anyone know how the vehicle senses how much petrol (or gas) has been added to the tank or if it has been filled.

I only part filled mine (a FORD) recently (I guess only 80-90% full), but the vehicle seemed to think that I'd filled it completely, causing false readings. I always fill to the first click of the bowser, but I can slowly get another couple of litres in if I wanted to, but either way, it thinks it's full.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm pretty sure it's measuring fuel flow, regardless of your fill level. and with the odometer readings it's got the two variables it needs, to calculate mpg, or any similar units.

It's only owners that need to rely on fillup amount to do their calculation. As long as you fill similarly each time your calcs will be reasonably accurate. And any variation cancels out, doesn't magnify, with subsequent fill ups and calcs.

What I see is a very reliable 7.5% discrepancy.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  20. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Odometers, fuel pump meters, computers, and other parts of any mileage tracking system will all contain variables and amounts of inconsistency. I'd say a 2% to 5% error is probably expected and acceptable. The equipment just isn't precise enough for better measurements.