1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Persona Brake System Malfunction

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pdt9393, Apr 11, 2016.

1. pdt9393

pdt9393 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Persona
    I just bought my 2016 Persona. It only has 400 miles in it and today the ABS light, Brake System warning light, and the slip control warning light all came on simultaneously.

I just dropped it at the dealership, waiting to find out what happened.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

SM-N920T ?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've had that about 4~5 times now with our 2010. Sometimes also the "check hybrid system" notification, at same time. So far dealership has just dismissed codes and handed it back. Their best guess that it's a "handshake" problem, communication slip-up between the various computers.

Oh, after latest time, the tech suggested I disconnect my ScanGauge, noting that by jiggling OBD port he was getting some sporadic errors, thinking that maybe the constant connection could be doing something. I'm giving that a try now. So far so good, but again, it only happens very infrequently.

Did you also notice a difference in brake feel? It happens in my case: at first it's like a loss of brakes, then you realize they're still working, but sort of in failsafe mode.

pdt9393 and bisco like this.
  3. pdt9393

pdt9393 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Persona
    Oh man, I've got a scan tool hooked up for the last couple of days. Maybe that's it.

SM-N920T ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice call, mendel.

pdt9393 likes this.
  5. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Weird. I have a Scangauge II in my 2013 Persona and never had any problems.

6. pdt9393

pdt9393 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Persona
    It did feel like the brakes took more effort to engage, like the brake assist or whatever wasn't working. Still stopped fine. Anyway, they just called and said that everything is fine. It was shooting back an error code U0073. I'll have to look that up after I got get the car. The health check showed everything mechanically was fine.... Fluid level and whatnot. Very strange.

SM-N920T ?

Here's what I've found on the error code. DTC U0073 Control Module Communication BUS Off | PriusChat

SM-N920T ?

#6 pdt9393, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2016
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not sure, just giving it a try. Surprisingly, letting go was not that hard.

8. djdawn

djdawn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I may be on the lucky side as well. I've had my ultragauge plugged nearly since I got it and it's been about 2yrs without that error. I'll keep an eye on it if I ever run into brake light warnings.

9. TheTimob

TheTimob Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    When you connect or disconnect ANYTHING to the OBDII port - the ignition has to be totally off. That thing is a port into the car's network - and connecting or disconnecting it can cause addressing and communication problems between modules in the car.
    This can sometimes show up as U### codes on a scan tool such as lost communication with device.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like good idea. Still, with our latest episode, the Toyota mechanic hooked up while the car was running. They'd claimed during the last episode that turning off the car might lose some of the info.

Also, while I'm completely out of my depth, I've heard the OBD port is always on, regardless of the car's status.

11. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With the scangauge I read somewhere that this communication error can be caused by the SG trying to auto detect the communications protocol. I set mine to force CAN SF (I forget how to get to that setting, I think it might be MORE > SETUP > MODE or something like that) and haven't had any issues in the several months I've been using it, and I use two scangauges chained together on fast update rate. Something to try maybe

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. TheTimob

TheTimob Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    There's always 12v on the OBD-II port, yes. It's something about adding and removing network items while the car is "running" - It should work fine just like USB should, but doesn't always - just like USB lol - that's what causes these U-codes and Traction/ABS/Steering light things to happen.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    After I turn off the engine, I wait a few seconds, watch the Scangauge II power down and when the display turns off, I unplug the Scangauge II.

When I push and turn the ignition on, (engine Is running now), I plug the Scangauge II and display shows connecting and then data is viewed.

When I turn the ignition off, I repeat the steps as mentioned above.

No problems to date. I've had the Scangauge II for almost 3 years.