1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius 2 should go 800 mi

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by karinhunt, Jan 27, 2017.

1. karinhunt

karinhunt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought a new 2016 Prius 2 in August 2016. When leaving the dealer and as per their claims, the car showed 800 projected miles for a full tank of gas. I only got 640 that first time. Every time after that when I fill up the projected full tank miles says 540. This is still great but if it is supposed to go 800 miles why is mine falling short?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    600 miles should be your target. The tank is only 10 gallons and change. Anywhere in the high 500's is good unless you plan on running it down to fumes.

RCO and karinhunt like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    nothing in the toyota literature states that the prius should go 800 miles on a tank. your sales weasel lied to you.
    your distance is simply a matter of mpg times gallons used. it depends on many factors such as weather, topography, speed and driving style.

all the best!(y)

RCO and valde3 like this.
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the Gen 4 tank is 42 litres, or just a smidgeon over 11 US gals.
    Assuming you got close to 11 gals in, but, let's assume 10 gal, that's ~64 US MPG.
    The "Miles to Empty" (MTE) is not actually to empty, but rather miles to reserve. The reserve is guesstimated to be 1 US gal, so you will (at your current rate) have ~54 more miles before actual empty, and I'm not suggesting you run those extra 54 miles, just putting out there FYI. The MTE calculation takes into account what you are actually using in gas and adjusting accordingly, so that you get a realistic estimate. I'd guess the car has calculated that your lifetime average to be 54 US MPG, so far. As you get into more economical habits (if you care to), it will improve.
    Out of interest, who told you that?
    Your driving style?

#4 dolj, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  5. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, they all start out like that. Eyes all twinkling and fluttering, soft kisses every time you drive her, sweet caresses and all kinds of promises. And then you learn the truth. But the Prius is still a quality piece and I love mine.

#5 William Redoubt, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    RCO and bisco like this.
  6. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the EPA, your average range in summer should be 588 miles, and winter should be a bit lower than that.

bisco likes this.
  7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When it came from the factory, it reported the ideal. But it learns form your style what you actually achieve and tries to give you more honest estimates.

RCO likes this.
  8. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think they say the tank is 10.9 gallons. If someone wants to push their Prius to the limit with a gallon of gas in the back seat. 600 miles is probably a best case scenario. I will keep you guys updated come sprint and summer as to what my gen 4 Prius gets on a tank. I had my retired dad try my Prius out. He got 54 MPG in the dead of winter driving on his first attempt.

RCO likes this.
  9. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    800 miles is achievable. I did it three consecutive tanks last summer. There is a 800 mile club thread on this website.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First tank never gives anything comparable - my last 3 cars (FORD/KIA) were the same - totally ignore the first tank.

Also - forget about how many miles/km you get out of a tank - it's an irrelevant figure. What you want to know is how many litres/100km or MPG you get - that's what translates into real $$$. Your 640 miles will be different from my 640 miles and is unable to be compared - depends on how full it is when full (shouldn't try to cram the last bit into the tank), how fast the pump/bowser fills and how close to empty you ACTUALLY got - it won't be empty when it is on "E".

Oh - and never run out of petrol/gasoline - maybe the PRIUS is forgiving most of the time, but I had a bill of about $600 from when a car ran out. I fill round about ½ (or at worst ¼) full. You don't want to be the first person to run out on your PRIUS and have to replace some expensive part.

Prodigyplace and dolj like this.
  11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alan makes some very good points.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  12. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    700 miles is not unheard of for a Gen3, so 800 miles is probably possible for the Gen4s. It would need to be summer and some pretty aggressive mileage techniques would be needed. When you get it, start a running post to keep track.

13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did your DTE show 800 or more? Just curious.

14. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No. Each time I exceeded the "0" barrier. I stop filling at the first click so I don't see DTE higher than 740 or so at fillup.

alanclarkeau and Prodigyplace like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't much care how far I go without refueling, just fill up when it's lowish. Precious little upside to the game, and some risks. Fuel efficiency I do care about.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I find DTE quite useless.
    It seems to assume you let the tank go dry & fill up completely each time. Nobody (except Bob Wilson) does that so DTE always reads low.

#16 Prodigyplace, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    RCO, alanclarkeau and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    DTE is not a constant throughout your drive. In order to be accurate it must assess your power demands through the accelerator and the demands on the power from inclines and speed variables. It would be unwise to use the DTE figure as a true number of miles remaining in the tank, as it should be different when you're charging up a mountain from when you're coasting down the other side for example. However the pedants amongst us can use it as a kind of mean (like average) indicator.