1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius 20% improvement in MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by iplug, Sep 10, 2015.

1. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Putting it out there. I think there is a good chance that at least the Eco model will hit a 20% improvement in mpg.

Why?

If you look at Toyota's Gen 3 Prius European websites, you see around 5L/100km can often be seen on dashboard shots. In the recently shown European Gen 4 shots, it shows 4.0L/100km.

Toyota just mentioned that they expect a 10% improvement in their core Gen 4 model on EPA and more on the Eco model. Toyota has not been one to inflate their mpg numbers, so think they are playing this very conservative so there is no way the EPA will release worse numbers than their recent announcements.

Their European Gen 4 dash shots of 4.0 L/100km equals 59 U.S. mpg. Yes, the Euro spec, like the Japan one, is more generous than the more real world U.S. EPA specs.

But would Toyota put itself out there and reveal a dash shot mpg number that wasn't achievable by the majority of Prius drivers in Europe or elsewhere?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i could see it.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota thinks 10%, I am always amazed by those who know better than the folks who designed and made it.

Mendel Leisk, Trollbait and Zythryn like this.
  4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota is on record stating "about 10%".
    It is tough to get much more efficiency out of an ICE, they have wrung just about everything they can out of it.

If you want large jumps in efficiency you need to move to newer technologies such as batteries or fuel cells.
    Nissan just announced their 2016 Leafs (top two trim levels) will have a 25% range increase.
    The new battery pack fits in the same physical size packaging and is only slightly heavier.

Ursamajor likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota also had photos that read 39mpg for the 3rd Gen Prius photos. I wouldn't read too much into what's displayed, regardless of what the final number for the Eco model ends up. they may or may not be dropping hints but I usually don't pay too much attention to the numbers in the photos.

Trollbait and Maxwell61 like this.
  6. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I can give you a shot of my MFD (gen3) shoving 3.7 l/100 km over 1,000 km, but that has nothing to do with EPA.

7. parkerbol

parkerbol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
  8. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great work in seeking the details. ;) Also note the blue color, which is less sporty than the red previously presented.

parkerbol likes this.
  9. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anyone here invited to the Frankfurt show ?

10. parkerbol

parkerbol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One of our member will be at Frankfurt, but not sure at the date of the media show (Sept. 14-15th).

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    DO remember that the number displayed on the dash is -probably- "Photoshopped" in there. Anything could have been displayed when the photo was taken. Making any conclusions based on those photos is, well, just crazy! ;)

Sergiospl likes this.
  12. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's great parkerbol, hopefully we will get to hear more info about Gen4 there.

I hope there will be reps from Toyota jp to answer questions, the fear is they might just reveal Gen4 and its various grades and end there. Then how will we know about what else is due in the pipeline - PiP2, etc.?

13. parkerbol

parkerbol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Pictures come from Toyota media servers.

14. parkerbol

parkerbol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Of course, we will try to publish fresh news here as we found at Prius Chat during Las Vegas show.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

No.

16. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We don't pay attention to mpg displays in photos during testings/photos :), but imagined what we can do with it if they did get 56.5 mpg during testings for 3333 miles(if I read this correctly).

17. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here, Prius-PT has one member enrolled to attend at the pre-days of the Show.

parkerbol likes this.
  18. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Agree that 55mpg (10% improvement) is a safe bet. But I think the Eco model will make a 20% improvement (59-61 mpg U.S. EPA). As long as I am throwing out long odds predictions, I predict the core model hits 55-57 mph U.S. EPA.

To add to my OP, Toyota’s Managing Director, Satoshi Ogiso has previously stated:

"in its three generations, Prius mpg has improved on average by about 10 percent, each generation. The challenge to continue to improve at this rate -- to beat your own record -- becomes very difficult, but makes it all the more motivating. We are very motivated to beat our record."

55mpg must be interpreted as being a floor, not an average possibility for the non-Eco version. Hard to believe Toyota would risk losing face by the EPA reporting anything lower. They have been historically cautious about making mpg statements and have been careful not to over-promise.

After all these years Prius remains the mpg king. There are a few more new technologies that may be employed to achieve this that don't require large capacity batteries, and there may still be more magic to be had.

telmo744 likes this.
  19. Jan Treur

Jan Treur Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Before the 10% was often mentioned as a rough indication, but now after Frankfurt sometimes a more precise 18% is mentioned, for example here you can find the following sentences:

It has smaller, lighter components, motors and batteries. With higher power densities and reduced internal losses. In Prius it will be linked to the most efficient petrol engine ever. Jointly taken together this ultra reliable technology targets an improvement of 18 percent.

So, the answer to this question

could be

Almost!

#19 Jan Treur, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    Chazz8 and Sergiospl like this.
  20. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Uh, the "EPA" does not normally measure the mileage of a new car. The car manufacturer must submit the results of the standardized test TO the EPA for them to then publish. If it is later found that the manufacturer lied, well, just look what happened to Hyundi. They are now paying all owners of the car(s) involved in the lie, er, "error", -monthly-. -After- they paid the fine. :)

The quote Jan posted above is for the European test cycle, which is different than the EPA cycle. The EPA cycle -may or may not- show the same improvement. We shall see in a month or two.

I'm betting the testing is still going on with various small tweaks to the car. That is probably what was happening when the car was photographed with the camo. cover on it. Now that it is "revealed", it is much easier to do the testing, without the cover. On the road testing is not, of course, for the EPA test. It is a "dyno" test. But you -can- find "little things" that will improve the mileage on the road, at less cost and more "real world" accuracy than on a dyno. They also still have to do the cold weather testing I think. It's not really cold up here quite yet (DON'T RUSH IT!!), so it will be a few more months before that is done.

But we can all hope they succeed with the 20% improvement. I wish them luck. A lot of "tweaking" went on to get the GIII better than the GII. Is there room for another 20%? Sure hope so.

Tideland Prius likes this.