1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius 3 with ATOTO Carpl

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bobthejedi, Jul 29, 2022.

1. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius 3 – ATP – Non-JBL

IMG-1041.jpg

With screen off
    IMG-3645.jpg
    Boot logo
    IMG-3647.jpg
    Home Screen
    IMG-3648.jpg
    Original Radio Part Number: 86100-47560
    New Radio: ATOTO F7G110XE

Expectations/Wants going in: Retain steering wheel controls, wireless carplay (did not test android auto), reverse camera, retain FM radio. Didn’t care about extra functions/customizations from old radio, I had used Carista before to make the other changes. Knew I’d lose the radio/navigation functions on MFD display next to speedometer. Also not a huge audiophile, so better sound was not necessarily goal (but it seems to sound better?)

I had been looking at the Teyes CC3 for over a year, but really just wanted a no frills wireless carplay compatible headset. I see that atoto makes a P8 screen only carplay which seems interesting.

List of items purchased:

ATOTO F7G110XE ($240 on Prime day, goes on sale sometimes for $270ish)
    amazon.com/gp/product/B08MQ8CR5L

Metra 70-1761
    amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BEQJ8

Metra 40-LX11
    amazon.com/gp/product/B003VYWSES

Ai TOYK932GB 2016 Prius Dash Mounting Kit
    amazon.com/gp/product/B01H10EIHW

PAC USB-TY1 Toyota/Lexus OEM USB Port Retention Cable
    amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0YJ49O

OEM Factory Backup Reverse Harness
    amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZPS88PZ

Axxess AX-TOY28SWC ( you still need this for audio input, keeping other steering wheel
    amazon.com/gp/product/B00BXF5A74/

Metra Axxess ASWC-1 (ended up not needing! More on that later)
    amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4PJC9K

Install:

Mostly self explanatory for the easy connections, you match up the connections from the various harnesses (12v, Audio Channels) Harder ones are reverse camera/steering wheel controls/radio. I did solder about 90% of the connections, but ended up using wago wire level nuts to diagnose the other wires.

In hindsight, wish I went with something like this AutoHarnessHouse, that did most of the work for you.

Items of note from ATOTO (could apply to other headunits) specifically:

Power antenna blue cable from Metra 40-LX1761 goes to the harness from the ATOTO/Head unit NOT the metra harness that connects to car harness (also, had gotten lazy and tried to use butt splice, but got static, ended up using WAGO wire level to make better connection, so if you get static, it may be because radio antenna isn’t getting power)

Reverse Camera: 2016 Prius and likely other 4th gen need 6V for camera, reverse harness linked above works, 12v should be connected to ACC (ignition) the stepdown goes to “6v supply” on reverse harness, reverse signal trigger wire from ATOTO unit goes to Steering wheel AX-TOY28SWC harness (green purple)

steering wheel.png

Steering wheel controls: This was the most trouble. I went in thinking the AXXESS would be help, but I ended up not needing it (just the AX-TOY28SWC Harness), the ATOTO is smart enough to learn the resistive presses from steering wheel controls. I watched this video that gave inspiration to try bare wires

From the AX-TOY28SWC harness, I snipped the two wires that would have gone into the ASWC-1 Yellow/Green goes to Steering wheel Key + on, Green/Black goes to Steering Wheel Key#. (see pic just above)

I choose to map all the buttons on the left side to their default on the steering pad (vol + = vol +) EXCEPT I changed phone hook on to play/pause since I would be using Siri to initiate calls, so didn't need it and it didn't seem to work anyways. All buttons seem fine, may change mode to something else, but works!

AXXESS ASWC-1 issues more in detail: The axxess seemed to recognize the Prius fine based on the status LED on AXXESS, but would not work with ATOTO key registration, I could register about 3-5 steering wheel controls) and then it would reset itself, first day I had it installed, I had volume control and siri key working, but couldn’t seek tracks or hang up calls :D. I checked with the AXXESS updater to make sure firmware was up to date, tried changing the radio type to Visteon B based on this post

How to use steering wheel controls with the Atoto A6 Pro. | XDA Forums

Tried changing dual assign to off, no dice, it would let me register some, but not all

Other notes:
    I think you need other connections or ground in the AX-TOY28SWC harness for the other default buttons to work (Trip, right side buttons), when I was waiting for this harness, the right side buttons for MFD didn't work which was worrying.

Likes about ATOTO

• Screen is nice, says its QLED, seems bright enough
    • Carplay starts automatically, takes about 10-15 seconds from power on of car
    • Some customization, can change button colors, boot logo
    • USB connections allows mirrorlink of iOS phone
    • Price

Limitations of ATOTO

• The F7G110XE series is “linux” based, so no extra apps or functions, can’t seem to install/uninstall/reorder apps, not too bummed out this. went for simplicity
    • Some slight lag sometimes

Wants now:

Installing a better reverse camera, now that its all in HD, the old reverse camera looks BAD.

TLDR: Overall, a few days in, worth it for sub $350 total install (no labor besides my sweat and occasional swearing)

I also have some TIS docs about the radio diagram which may help, it was minimally helpful to me.

Attached Files:

Ven, Mambo Dave and ColoradoBoo like this.
  2. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    my 3 month review.

Still pretty happy, slight issue where on first start up and carplay, the screen will "freeze" (iOS 15.x and 16.X), a quick 2 button press home and back into carplay seems to fix it, slightly annoying, but for the price and hopefully firmware will fix it, I'm okay with it.
    Still pretty much just use carplay, have used radio.

Screen is pretty glossy and reflective at times, but again, for sub $350, I'm okay with it.

3. Ven

Ven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks much for sharing your learning. Your post helped me setup an atoto a6 PF in my 2012 Prius correctly the first time. The SWC wires mapped exactly as you described. I even used the reverse like you did to avoid tapping into reverse light for my atoto back up camera.

One additional thing I did was to ground the black wire so that the right steering control buttons worked.