1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius 4 Fog Lights wiring....

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by MiamiCyclist, Mar 22, 2018.

1. MiamiCyclist

MiamiCyclist New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello,
    Looking for a simple answer to hopefully a simple question. My 2016 Prius has the black fill in covers where the factory fog lights would go. I have read several threads on the wiring aspect but look too cost prohibitive including the purchase of the factory stalk that controls the factory fog lights.

I believe it should work but just looking for an confirmation of the wiring concept. I want the lights to go on when ignition is on and to turn off when the ignition goes off. Was planning on wiring the lights into the engine bay fuse box to either an igntion sources fuse or the headlamp fuse itself and of course to ground them within the engine compartment.

1. Will that work and will that be safe?
    2. Will wiring into that source set off any type of dash warning lights because of all the electronics within the car?
    3. Is a relay needed or will a in wire fuse work as a protective element?

Any input would be greatly appreciated before I go on this journey...

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to firstly check the legality. FOG Lamps MUST NOT come on when the ignition is on automatically - here, that's a $108 fine.

Plus - it annoys other drivers - who will flash their High Beam to let you know their annoyance.

RCO and Sooner Al like this.
  3. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I wired the way you wanted...ignition on, fog on.. and been having it for about 3 years now. Mine is 2016. Anyways, you need a relay to control this with a trigger wire coming from the fuse box under the hood. The power wire goes directly to the battery. Do a search..there's an old thread on it with some pics.