1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 prius 4 no full speed dynamic cruise control

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by hyhi, Jul 24, 2017.

1. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hum...I must be missing something here. My new ride with now 8k miles on it does not appear to offer full range dynamic cruise control. Well at least I don't think so since very time I try to engage it below 28 or so mph it does not start yet the window sticker for the car indicates it is Full speed dynamic cruise control.

So besides an offer to read the manual...sorry I have not, should I be able to do cruise control at say 20mph or no?

Also, my apple phone will not charge when plugged into the usb port between the seats. Is that normal?
    thanks all and ride safe.

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Full range refers to it slowing down to near zero and resuming. It could slow down to 20, for instance, and then resume the preset speed. You still need a minimum speed to engage.
    I believe the USB port is for audio, not charging.

RCO likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, full speed means the cruise control will bring the car down to 0 IF the car in front of you slows to 0mph. Because it's cruise control, it still adheres to the fact you have to be travelling a minimum speed to engage it.

Umm, it should charge. I've plugged my iPhone 5S w/ the OEM Apple cable and it charges. It is low powered (~1.0A) so if you're using your phone for GPS or anything other battery-sapping feature, you won't see your battery actually increase in charge.

RCO likes this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like most car USB ports, it's quite slow, designed for audio, not really for charging. [I put an APP on my phone to show the charge rate - the wall charger was 40% faster than plugging it into my PC, my portable battery is 10% slower than the wall charger but has died, and the car was less than ½ the speed of the wall charger - haven't got the exact figures as I deleted the APP.] Get a 12v adaptor.

DRCC - have a read of the Owner's Manual - they explain its use clearly. It is a NORMAL C/C unless you're following someone - then it becomes a DRCC. Again, that's similar to all but fully autonomous vehicles.

I haven't got USA figures, but here, you need to be doing 46km/hr to activate it, you can resume at 40km/hr - but if there is a car in front, you can either activate or resume from 0km/hr.

RCO likes this.
  5. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're gonna at least want to read the little quick start pamphlet thingy, it only takes like 20 minutes or so.

The safety systems can be kind of confusing, and to misunderstand them and their capabilities/limitations could lead to dangerous situations in the future.

'LectroFuel and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Better still - I thought later.

Did your salesperson give you any instruction DRCC? I'm not sure if they do the same thing as they do here, TOYOTA insists they contact within the first week to ensure the client is happy - if they do that there, ask him for further instruction and demonstration.

RCO likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is why my salesman spent 45 minutes talking about (and sometimes demonstrating) the various features of the car before our test drive. Most all of these features are not in his Gen 1 Prius.

8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No and yes, maybe; some Apple phones are real finicky.
    Try another phone and/or another cord. Sometimes an "Apple" cord is required.

Cruise control was designed, intended and generally only safe to use when CRUISING at highway speeds in light to moderate traffic.

RCO likes this.