1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius 4 power seat adjustments

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusRos, Apr 15, 2016.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What do you all think about the new seats?

Although at first I thought the seats were really comfortable I now seem to be having trouble finding exactly the right setting for me. With the 2010 I was also having a lot of trouble at first - the leather seemed really hard compared to the cloth seats I had on the 2006 before that - but I eventually seemed to find the right setting or just got used to it. And now with the 2016 I'm having the same problem, in spite of all the ways one can adjust it, although the power adjustments make it easier.

My daily commute is around 52 miles each way so I drive a lot. It feels good at first but after a little while I start feeling tension in my butt, thighs, and/or back. Now I find the Softex seat as hard as the leather on my butt and if I turn down the lumber support, it's too hollow, but if I turn it up, it's really hard.

Does anybody have any tricks for finding the right adjustment for them (such as, distance of steering wheel from chest, angle of arms, legs, etc.)? I am short, just over 5 foot. On the one hand, I feel most comfortable with the seat at the lowest setting and the back slightly inclined, but then, although I have no problem seeing over the dash, I feel the need to sit up straighter and higher for better visibility.

I am trying a small back cushion that I use for my office chair. I think it helps a bit but doesn't fit well and is a bit too bulky for the car seat. What I think might help is a small thin back and seat cushion.

2. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm 5'6" and I put my raise my seat up all the way because it's easier to see out. The back rest is pushed more down and not straight up. There is tons of lumbar support, but even on the lowest setting, it seems like the lumbar support is evenly distributed across my whole back, not just my lower back like I want. That's why I put the lumbar support on the lowest setting. I don't think the SofTex seats are good or bad (more bad than good).

As for the steering wheel, I like to make the steering wheel closest to me (although some won't because of the airbag being so close to your chest). I raise the steering wheel a little less than halfway high so I can get my legs in and out when getting out of the car (the steering wheel is almost touching the seat on the lowest setting).

Good luck on finding the right seat setting!

PriusRos likes this.
  3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Iamjo20

Iamjo20 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five

The seats actually raise in height? ty!

5. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  6. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    PriusRos, I'm sorry I don't have any helpful suggestions. I'm not completely comfortable either. I guess we just have to keep changing various seat adjustments.

I'm just the opposite of you; I'm this big, tall, giant, ugly scary looking dude! :eek: However, I'm very surprised at how much room I have in the driver's seat. For a man my size, this Prius is quite unusual. But I do wish my cloth seats had more padding. My tail-end goes numb fairly quickly. And the height adjustment slowly sinks over a couple days. I have to pump it up again.

#6 Coast Cruiser, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    PriusRos likes this.
  7. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    I'm 6'4, 270 pounds (a got some of that ugly bug too), and my gen 4 has the faux leather. No problem yet, but just in case, I got these pads.

CONFORMAX Anywhere, Anytime Gel Car/Truck Seat Cushion (L20SAU)

An exact fit in my car.
    A bit pricey, but when driving for more than 20 hours, I usually need a contact area change, if you know what i mean.
    I normally drive without them (put them in the back seats), and swap it in when it starts getting tough.

Al though the pads are 1.5 inch think, the net displace met for me was about 1/2 inch, I guess I was really smashing the cushion into the seat.

PriusRos and Coast Cruiser like this.
  8. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The pictures make the cushion look rather wide to fit the seat. Does it fit into the sunken area of the seat or goes all the way to the sides?

9. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Seams to fit. Take a look.

IMG_1053.JPG IMG_1041.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

PriusRos likes this.
  10. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  11. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    You are only given 1 12 volt outlet in the front, I need more.

One for my iphone recharger, one for the SHEMO.

One for the front dash cam, one for the rear.

One for the portable gps, one for the Android OBDII data.

One for the upcoming nose cam, of course you needda spare.

The carpet coming up the sides make for very good loops, for the velcro hooks on the sides of the 3way 12 volt adapters.

In the gen 3 I could hide it under the "bridge", no such luck with the gen 4.

jp

PriusRos likes this.
  12. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    randomwalk, some questions are better left unasked.....

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was excited when I saw Toyota finally added a 12V to the rear and the I was disappointed when they simply transplanted one from the front. With a regular sized car battery, you would think Toyota won't be that stingy with 12V outlets (or even USB outlets). To Toyota's credit, the USB outlet in the Gen 4 will accept/recognise two USB items if you were to use a splitter.

14. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, curiosity got the best of me.

What the heck is all rthat stuff for, Jp??? :cautious: Does the factory Prius battery have enough juice to power all your equipment?

#14 Coast Cruiser, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  15. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    LOL! I have a dashcam, which I hook up to the rear charger. I also have a Garmin and a cell phone. I have a lot of wires but you really have me beat.
    I have a 12V splitter too.

16. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just mentioned in another thread, that I really miss the power driver's seat like I had in my Camry. I just can't seem to find a comfortable driving position with my manual Prius Three seat. And it's impossible to adjust while driving... unlike the electric seat that is so simple to move.

17. LauraOP

LauraOP New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The cushion isn't too wide for the Prius seat? I've measured it at 12" in the back?