1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius c Fuel Requirements?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusmatty, Jun 4, 2016.

1. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco

Does the 2016 Prius c take plain old 87 octane fuel, and is it good with that? Also, I always preferred Chevron because of the Techron additive. What brand do you all use?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    87 is all it needs :)

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, 87 octane AKI or (RON + MON)/2 in the US.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any top tier fuel 87 octane will be fine. Chevron would be perfect for it. Don't waste your money on higher octane fuel. 87 octane is all you need.

Retailers

5. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Ok thanks all. Any other Chevron fans like me? I have read tons of literature on fuel additives, and from my research, it seems like Techron is really good and effective in preventing and reducing fuel deposits.

6. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I've been a Chevron user for a few decades now. It seems to be very hard to find comparative info on the top tier gasolines, but I've had two people I trust tell me that Techron really is a superior additive. And one of them said that even when Chevron stations are hit with a shortage and have to buy gas from another source they still have drums of Techron that they add to the fuel, so that tells me they're serious about it.

I was quite surprised when I drove down to the California to see how expensive Chevron is in comparison to other gas stations. Up here in Canada it seems like all the gas prices are pretty much equal. The fact that Chevron can get away with charging so much more down there suggests that a lot of people believe in it.

priusmatty likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I fill up exclusively at Chevron, but not due to the Techron; I've got no illusions their additives are much different than the competitors. Mainly: it seems to be a reliable product, and they're the only chain of stations around here still providing free air. The competitors are penny wise and pound foolish, imho.

Only thing, of late: seems like a lot of their pumps have barely enough pressure. Get on that, Chevron!

8. davidc83

davidc83 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    I would buy at Chevron if available, but no joy. We have Shell, BP, Marathon, Thornton's, Sunoco. I usually buy at Shell or Thornton's.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd drive by BP, just because of their abysmal response in the Gulf spill. Watched a documentary on that, terrible. A lot of the "cleanup" was in fact application of nasty dispersant. Out of sight, out of mind. And if they'd played by the rules the spill likely wouldn't have occurred to begin with.

I suppose they're all in bed tho. :(

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The top tier list of U.S. stations which add enough detergents are found at TopTierGas.com...I try to stick with those but that's easy for me as they are in my area and grocery store discounts and all.

11. I've used only Octane 87. You can go ethanol free (if available) or up to 10% (E10), which seems to be the norm... and I think some Prius drivers have experimented with higher ethanol concentration but I wouldn't recommend it all the time.

priusmatty likes this.