1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius C One - Armrest, aftermarket

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Brenda-Prius-C, May 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Absolutely_Red

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    ztanos and skayaks like this.
  2. GuitarGuy4Him

GuitarGuy4Him New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    What retrofitting did you have to do? Oddly enough, I came across this same armrest just by chance this morning. I am expecting it to be delivered in the next couple of days.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Absolutely_Red

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    GuitarGuy, it was a mess, and I am not sure that my solution was the right solution. There were no directions at all.

First, I bought some 3M two-sided tape to secure that this thing into the cup holder. After all, 100% of the stability comes from it being secure within that cup holder. There is no other point of attachment.

I wrapped the 3M tape wrapped around the cup holder part of the eBay armrest (first horizontally and then vertically), but then the piece was too thick to fit neatly into the car's cup holder. That set me back, as that seemed like a great plan.

I tried popping off the car's molded plastic in that area, thinking that I had to do some disassembly to do the installation. Try as I might, I could not pop off anything. I'm not a neophyte at disassembly, but I couldn't get those pieces to come apart. It was extremely frustrating.

I put two small screws through the bottom of the armrest's cup holder into the car's existing cup holder, making sure that I was only "biting" into about 3/8" of plastic in the car's cup holder. After all, I have no idea what is under that cup holder. Wires? Brake cables? Who knows.

Nonetheless, that did the trick. The armrest is secure and strong and I can lean on it and push on it. The center console upon which it rests moves a bit but the arm rest is impressively secure.

It's altogether likely that I did this 100% wrong, and it's possible that you ARE supposed to remove the molded plastic around the cup holder/brake assembly to install this thing, but absent instructions, I had to make the best of it.

It's my car, I got it used and the armrest looks great, feels great, and provides storage for CDs. My "modified" installation worked like a charm.

And I didn't use *any* duct tape! ;)

If you get instructions with your armrest, please LET ME KNOW!

GuitarGuy4Him likes this.
  4. GuitarGuy4Him

GuitarGuy4Him New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the reply! I will let you know if mine comes with any instructions.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.