1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius C -- trouble starting, check engine light, weird sound

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jendy200, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Jendy200

Jendy200 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Hello there! Did a quick search and didn't see my issue, so I'm posting. I don't know much (anything) about cars and don't want to get ripped off by an unscrupulous mechanic.

I have a low mileage 2016 Prius C 2 (~17,000). I didn't drive it for an entire month around May. When I finally got in the car, the battery was dead. AAA came to jump it, but ever since then it's been having trouble starting, which got worse this past week. For the past 2-3 months, when I turn the key in the ignition, all the dashboard lights come on and won't turn off. Then I turn it off, wait 30 seconds, and when I turn it on, it starts normally. Sometimes it takes 3 tries instead of 2.

Last Sunday, I drove it a short distance to run an errand. It had a lot more trouble at first--took about 5 tries to turn on. Then, when I went to go back home, it took about 20 minutes to get it started. When I turned the key, just the check engine light went on and nothing else. This happened several times. Then, all the dashboard lights went on, but they were dim and flickering. Finally it turned on normally. I drove it 2 other times earlier this week and it took 3 tries to start but then drove normally.

Yesterday I got in the car and just got the check engine light the first time. Turned it off, turned it back on, and all the dashboard lights came on. Then it started making a weird sound--like a low screech/drone from the engine (kind of like an out-of-tune violin). I turned the car off and the sound continued! I turned it on again and the sound stopped, but I didn't want to take the risk of driving it.

Any idea what this could be? And does anyone have recommendations for a good mechanic in Los Angeles (East side)? My normal guy is not answering his phone.

2. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's the 12v battery I just went through this myself.

I also drive a 2016 and like you encountered similar symptoms. There aren't many options for an aftermarket 12v battery for our Prius. So you'll have to see the dealer on this one. The battery was $249.00 & I replaced it myself. It's an easy swap, but if you don't feel comfortable doing it, I would expect at least an hours worth of labor being charged.

If in the future, you don't plan on operating the car, start it and run it for at least a good half hour at least once a week. This will keep the 12v battery charged. It's a really small battery, and the car (even when off) uses a small amount of voltage. Eventually this will drain the battery and after repeated instances of this, will shorten the life and ruin the 12v battery.

Hobie18 likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Apparently a lot of people don't understand rechargeable batteries but do you REALLY have no idea what the problem might be ???

You might get by for a while if you get the battery charged........or if additional periods of extended non-use are anticipated, you get a battery tender and charge it yourself......but a new battery likely is in order.

Any Pep Boy parts stores in your area ?
    They are often mentioned as actually having the right batteries in stock.

Be sure that a new one if fully charged before being installed.

Hobie18 likes this.