1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius Entune with Premium Convenience Package

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jbkendrick, Mar 21, 2016.

1. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can anyone with the fourth gen prius with entune and premium convenience package comment on how Entune is working for them. I am looking to purchase a 2016 Prius 4 Touring with that package and am hesitating because of the awful reviews and comments I have recently read about Entune being a disaster. Thx, J

2. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Would you be happy with the car if it did not come with Voice Command?

If so don't think twice, buy it.

That said, if you are stubborn and insist on using the voice commands, they can be frustrating -- especially if you are trying to show off your new car :).

(Thread drift alert -- Rather than continue to hold out hope that Entune will learn my language, I have decided to learn its language -- and that has helped a great deal. For example, I will never ask it to "go to Maine Street, Your Town, Vermont" directly. Rather, I will start a dialog first with something like "help me find an address". I have also changed how I pronounce my own last name when calling up family phone numbers :confused:)

3. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I bought the 4T with PCP. I think it was worth it. If you're buying it for the Entune alone, you might be disappointed. But, the upgraded sound system is very good. The sound is clear and articulate. The bass is deep without being muddy, if you adjust it. I have played Bluetooth audio from my phone (Pandora and Spotify) as well as high bitrate audio from an iPod. It all sounded good to me. I'm happy with the speakers.

The navigation is ok. I prefer my phone.

The radio is fine.

The PCP comes with parking assist, and the parking sensors. I think it also has the collision detection and Dynamic Radar cruise control. That stuff is great, in my opinion. I really like the cruise control and the parking sensors help a lot.

So, that's why they package them. Because some of it is awesome and some of it less so.

iPhone ?

4. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you both ATHiker and glennonrp. I currently have a VW and prefer Google Voice on my Samsung phone to the system in my car, though it works equally well. And to answer ATHiker's question, Voice Command is not a deal breaker for me, but I would like to use the larger nav screen as I am used to using my Galaxy Note 5 for mapping and GPS. And I do like the safety options in the PCP, so it wouldn't be just for Entune. Do you have a dashmount for your phone glenorp? So long as I can mount my phone high enough, I too would likely use my phone. Anything else you can tell me about your experience would be great. I haven't been in a hybrid since my 2006 Honda Insight. It was the original two seat model with the fendor skirts and I put 110,000 miles on it and got an average of 58 mpg overall for the 110k. This is the first Prius I've been interested in, and really like the styling changes and possibility of it not running so much like a rubber band as did my Insight. Thanks again, J

5. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I love Entune with my Four with Premium Convenience Package and the Advanced Technology Package. I like everything except the voice commands and the fact that you can't input new dresses into the nav by hand without putting the car into park. Therefore, you have to use voice commands.

One suggestion... buy the Four, not the Four Touring.

The four gives you more than the Four Touring with things like the moonroof and Heads Up display, which also gives directions and rides nicer. The speedometer is in the middle of the car, which is frustrating. The Heads Up display is always in your line of sight. HUD is a must!!!

Good luck on your purchase! ;)

KrPtNk and krmcg like this.
  6. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have the Four Touring with PCP. I didn't want a moonroof. Just didn't see the point of it. And, the Four with ATP and PCP is the most expensive Prius 2016 you can buy. The HUD was not a big deal to me. And, the statement that "it rides better" is subjective. I like the ride in my Touring. It is crisp and smooth. The tires corner so well, and the suspension is tight.

So, I would drive both. To me, the upgrade in suspension was more important than the HUD and moonroof, plus I got the lower price. On the other hand, the electronics were the most important to me and Touring came with the ATP standard.

Yes, I have a mount for my phone. I got the Techmatte magnetic mount that sticks inside the CD player. While I have hundreds of CDs, I almost never play one in my car. I find the mount holds the phone high enough to use for navigation but I can adjust it so it doesn't cover the screen. (I suggest, if you get it, to replace the wingnut bolt that they include with a shorter bolt. A top Amazon review has details.) I think it's better than something more permanent.

I unabashedly love my car. I love using the the cruise control. Today, I had it on and the traffic ahead slowed into a rush hour stop and go. We never came to a complete stop. But, it was set for, like 70, or something and it slowed to below 20 mph. It wasn't jerky or scary. I covered the brake with my foot the whole time but it wasn't necessary. It was pretty flawless, to me. The parking sensors are great, too. Makes parking in tight spaces so much easier. No more asking the wife, "Do I have enough room?" And the rear cross traffic sensor works great, too. I totally could not see and it warned me as another car was driving toward me in the parking lot.

The technology in this car is great. And, it doesn't feel like you're driving a hybrid. It has plenty of get up and go if you need it. I love that. I am not going to win drag races, but then, that's not what I'm interested in. I wanted a car that has lots of cool tech, saves gas, looks cool, and is fun to drive.

The Prius 2016 is all of that.

If you have other questions, let me know.

'LectroFuel and krmcg like this.
  7. SUPERCOOLMAN

SUPERCOOLMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    glennonrp,

is the bass weak by default? I don't really like the weak bass with the 10 premium JBL greenedge speakers on my Prius. I have noticed some sound/frequencies that my cellphone, laptop or 2.1 PC speaker at home can play doesn't come out when playing through Prius even if I crank the sound really loud to the point that cars around me can share my music

8. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I don't think it's weak at all. I was playing some "Girl Talk," a mashup artist, with lots of bass and it was vibrating the mirror and I could feel it in the car. It's not a "car that go boom" but it's got thump. Earlier today, I was playing "Breathe" from Dark Side of the Moon and the heartbeat drum was thumping very prominently. I used the equalizer and boosted the bass a little, but it's not maxed. I would not describe the bass as weak. I am very pleased with the sound system. My sources for music were an iPod classic through USB and Bluetooth Pandora.

9. SUPERCOOLMAN

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    thanks for the reply.

to be clear, I'm talking about 2013 Prius. coming from from 2010 Prius, I'm hate those JBL greenedge speakers on 2013 Prius. they are just weak and treble also sucks when compared to 2010 Prius. my first impression is to skip 2016 Prius when I saw that toyota continued those JBL greenedge speakers as the "Premium"

10. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    We are new 2016 Prius v 4 owners.
    No JBL, sun roof, SOS or collision avoidance packages.

FWIW
    My wife uses the technology more than I.
    Her Apple phone integrates nicely.
    Music, telephone and all function fine.

So, this isn't "gospel" as I have little time in car.
    Voice command work fine.
    Toyota navigation maps work fine.
    Weather works fine.
    Really haven't used concierge or traffic alerts.
    Entune is not causing us any issues....I don't think it is a disaster.

11. 'LectroFuel

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I love bass and there is tons of it in the JBL system

12. SUPERCOOLMAN

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    sounds like they fixed the weak bass and 2016 Prius does have bass. how about treble?

13. 'LectroFuel

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Treble is great too. I keep the treble at about half balanced. The sound system has great clarity. It's weird, but I've heard words in songs that I've never heard before.

14. SUPERCOOLMAN

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    does your 2016 Prius have 6 speakers or 10 speakers?

15. 'LectroFuel

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    10, but they are in 6 locations according to the Toyota website. Two locations have two speakers combined. I think they are the speakers on the dashboard

16. SUPERCOOLMAN

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I wonder if the extra pack made the difference

17. 'LectroFuel

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it does

18. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks so much LectroFuel and and Glennonrp, makes a big difference hearing from folks already driving the new Prius. I will take both recommendations into consideration. J

glennonrp likes this.
  19. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Indeed the rear view mirror shakes even on middle setting of bass in audio setup.
    I find it lacks treble and mid.

LG-H901 ?

20. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I am very happy with the sound. I boost the treble a bit more than the bass. I don't think it lacks anything, honestly, but it's up to personal taste, I guess. I think it's a great sound system and I think if it were any louder or higher powered I would have even worse hearing damage than I already do. :)

'LectroFuel and Frederickdawg like this.