1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius Glove Compartment closing issue.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ktownguide, May 14, 2018.

1. ktownguide

ktownguide New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've recently bought this Certified 2016 Prius Four model and I've noticed that the right hand side latch on the glove compartment was not in placed. In other words, it wasn't fully closed.

Everytime, I had to close the box, I kinda have to push the middle part with more effort or it's easier to push the right hand side to close with less effort. If I tried to close the glove box by pushing the left hand side of the glove box (reaching out from the driver's side), it will never be able to close perfectly. To explain in more detail, I have provied the youtube video.

I've already taken it to the dealer, and they told me that since it isn't broken and still working, they can't order the new $500 glove compartment for me. Is this common issue that I have to live with?

Please let me know if anyone of 2016 and up prius owners had this issue. Thank you.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

break it good, while it is still under warranty. never heard of something not working properly isn't covered. to me, it's already broken.

Tande and krmcg like this.
  3. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are we sure that the door isn't "Unhinged" on the R/H side?........"Unhinged", as in servicing the cabin air filter?

bisco likes this.
  4. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think that may be the case...

5. ktownguide

ktownguide New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The technician guy couldn't figure it out. I even had a chance to speak with the director of the Toyota service department and they can't do anything but to replace the whole dashboard but it's still functional and they can't really do anything about this issue. They were just giving me excuses saying that this is an used Certified vehicle and all used cars could get into these types of problems. This car only has 20,000 miles on it and and if all used cars have problems like this after a couple of years, who's gonna buy Toyota? It really made pissed off when I was at the service center. So as soon as I got home, I had to look at the diagram of this glovebox very carefully and I found out there's supposed to be a "glovebox stopper"(all cars have these parts) which is holding this glovebox on the right hand side. This part only costs $20 bucks. I've suspected that this might be a issue and told them to order this part and they were able to replace it just today and it works a lot better. I'm happy that I was able to fix this problem but I'm a little disappointed that they couldn't pinpoint what was exactly wrong with it.

Attached Files:

#5 ktownguide, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    bisco and krmcg like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, a dealership who knows less than you. whoda thunk? well done!(y)

7. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hopefully you won’t reward that dealership with any future repair work.

8. IamPrius

IamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you open and close the glovebox is there resistance. There is a "thing" that acts kinda like the shocks on the hatchback. If there is no resistance that thing is not connected to the glovebox. It is on the right hand side of the glove box. It hooks to the glovebox.

krmcg likes this.