1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 prius how to remove rear seat

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ven K, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Ven K

Ven K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello,

I am trying to put car seat covers to my 2016 prius which came with cloth seats.

I was able to put the front seat covers but to put the rear seat covers, I need to remove the whole seat.

How to I remove the rear seats? I tried to pull it up but it is not coming out and I don't want to break it pulling harder.

Thanks all!

Dgles likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think there's a couple of points where a U-shaped hook in the seat cushion pushes into a nylon grommet? You basically need to feel along the edge, find those points, then with a hand on both sides of the point, yank up hard. This parts page might help:

Rear Seat Components for 2016 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

FWIW, at the 2016 Prius reveal in Las Vegas, "team PriusChat" managed to yoink up the rear seat, took some pictures of the battery.

RCO likes this.
  3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    You may be able to find the information you need in the Accessory Installation Manual for the leather seats sold in Europe (AIM 003 741-2), available on toyota-tech.eu.

Complete procedures are in Toyota’s Repair Manual, available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com. Under Vehicle Interior: Seat: Rear Seat Assembly, there are illustrations (too many to reproduce here) showing exactly where to lift and how to disengage the hooks, and other details of the removal, disassembly, reassembly, and installation procedures. The Repair Manual also states:
    For the seatback assembly bolts, the tightening torque is 36.8 N·m {375 kgf·cm, 27 ft·lbf}. This is printed in a double box, indicating its importance for “Major areas involving basic vehicle performance.”
    Be aware that Toyota warns against this in the Owner’s Manual (PDF), writing on pages 42–43:
    As shown on page 36, the SRS side airbags and SRS seat cushion airbags are part of the front seat assemblies, and extra covers may interfere with airbag deployment. The original seat covers have been designed and tested to split open in certain ways when the airbags deploy; your aftermarket covers probably weren’t.

4. Ven K

Ven K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

The seller said it won't interfere with air bags. I will doublecheck on the user manual..

The cloth seats that the prius came with are incredibly non-slippery and holds me on to seat and it is real pain getting out of car, in addition to the car being low seat position compared to the 2010 Prius I had. The 2010 prius I had has leather seats and I can slide in/out easily but not with the cloth seats of 2016 prius

Elektroingenieur likes this.