1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius in Review

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by TonyPSchaefer, Feb 20, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    AFTER reaching 100 mph, it is the constant speed MPG on level ground, no wind, 65-75F.

Bob Wilson

2. nickroc

nickroc Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Understood. And still very impressive! Thanks!

3. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the new design (external) is ugly. Reminds me of a Pontiac. And that white trim inside on the console. Ugh.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for sharing. that will make all the new owners feel much better.

JohnF, kithmo and krmcg like this.
  5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Where's the nearest bridge or tall building :cry:

JohnF and bisco like this.
  6. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess there's no polite way to say this. Frankly, I don't give a rat's nice person what you think of its looks. I bought it for me, not for you.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This post is under Moderator review due to not being polite.

Done. It's good!

bisco and krmcg like this.
  8. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Easy there.

Just remember back to when you were listening to Bruce Springsteen (or the Dead) and some Air Supply fan said much the same thing about your taste in music.

Stand tall and be proud, and know you are not alone.

And by the way it is pronounced Pree-us, OK? Can everyone at least agree on that?

kithmo and bisco like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Dang, at least half the posts on priuschat must be people's opinions about looks and other totally subjective stuff, especially about new models. Perfectly legit thing to comment on in this thread particularly. You gonna shut them all down? :love::confused:

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, there's a new sheriff in town.:cool:

#71 bisco, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Geo13647, JohnF and krmcg like this.
  12. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tony said:
    "Toyota loaded up the Gen4 Prius with additional sound deadening materials to reduce road noise. Two words: it works. The ride is extremely quiet with very little engine or road noise. The only exception would be at high strain situations but at regular driving it’s extremely quiet."

Overall, a nice write-up, Tony. I've read it twice, but I didn't catch what model you were driving, and what size/brand of tire was on the car. Mine is the Three model, with Toyo 15" tires. With all due respect, I would have to politely disagree that "the ride is extremely quiet with very little engine or road noise." That is certainly not the case with my Three.

I've driven over a dozen different vehicles in my 45 years of driving, and my new Prius Three rates right up there as one of the noisiest. It's as if the sound deadening material was left out. I can deal with a little engine noise... I kinda enjoy hearing that "growl" when I'm accelerating up to speed. But the tire and road noise is almost unbearable at freeway speeds; and even very bothersome during normal city driving. Otherwise, it's a fine car with very impressive technology. Keep up the good work, Tony.

(Picked up my sister at the airport. She likes the exterior & interior looks of my new Prius. She loves the nice bright LED headlights, and the fancy "Z" tail lights. But after getting on the freeway, one of her first comments was: "Kinda loud in here, isn't it? Are you Ok with all this noise? Can we turn up the radio?" I never even brought up the subject of noise. She immediately just noticed it.)

Thanks, sis. I knew I wasn't imagining it. :confused:

#72 Coast Cruiser, Mar 30, 2016
  13. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not good news. My GenIII was very quiet when new, and now is very very much louder; engine sound, road noise, air - everything. When the ICE fires up the car can lurch a bit. When new, I could hardly tell it had started up at all. And I'm getting more deaf with age, so it is louder than what I can now detect. The car is in it's 7th year, so I expect it to have aged in that way as well. But a new car sounding loud like you describe? That is disappointing. They claim the Prime is quieter than the IV. We shall see (er.., hear).

14. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi David. I have to blame it mostly on the 15" Toyo tires. But I also feel Toyota could've done a lot better job with the sound insulation. Many owners have stated that their 17 inch Bridgestone tires are very quiet. All a matter of opinion. And brand of tires, of course.

I'm not too overly picky when it comes to noise. I've driven some vehicles in the past that were very noisy. But I mustt admit, my new Prius is right up there as far as cabin noise goes. I am disappointed with that aspect of the car. Otherwise, it's great.

#74 Coast Cruiser, Mar 30, 2016
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most owners have found it to meet toyota's claims.

16. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think it is all very subjective. I have not been a fan of previous Prius gen's and was drawn to the new model because I really like the look. It may be a bit over the top in some respects, but that is what they said about my 2013 Tundra, a year before they made the Tundra look more like every other model out there. I think they did a fantastic job with the seats and wrap around console, though I guess I could do without the glossy white. I won't buy a red with the white interior because my wife doesn't like red and I would worry about keeping the seats clean, but it does wow me like no other car I've seen recently. And I'm not geek teenager at age 61, so just put it down to different strokes for different folks.

kithmo and bisco like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have no problem with opinions, good or bad. some are just over the top though. and why does it make people feel better to really let loose?

18. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I read just about every review on the new Prius. And watched most of the YouTube driving tests. I think only two reviewers mentioned the excess cabin noise.

Here's a thought. Could it be, that you seasoned owners that have been driving Prii for many years, have just become so accustomed to the road noise, that you don't really notice it in the new Gen4? And/Or, your old Gen1, 2, or 3 was so noisy that you actually think the new Gen4 is that much more quiet? I could see that being the case.

But for a brand-new Prius owner, like myself, with no previous history of driving a Toyota hybrid, my Three model just seems overly loud. If not for that, I would absolutely love that car. It's not a deal breaker; just annoying. But I guess you got to give up something... to get something ( high gas mileage.)

By the way, my sister drives a 2002 or 2005 Toyota Avalon. Perhaps that's why she immediately noticed the cabin noise difference. Her old Avalon is still rocksolid, she'll never part with that car.

#78 Coast Cruiser, Mar 30, 2016
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you nailed it. avalon is two classes up. what were you driving?

20. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Try a 5 liter mustang convertible ( 3 different ones) (25 years)
    or a ford f150 4x4 lariat (10 years)
    2012 prius trim 5 4 years.

All much louder than 2016 prius trim 4, in so many ways.

We can only judge based on experience, even though it may date us.

jp

JohnF and bisco like this.