1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius IV: Trickle charge for battery?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by erichenberger, Jun 13, 2016.

1. erichenberger

erichenberger New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the opportunity to join you. I'm actually posting for my wife's friend (for real!) and it's about the 2016
    Prius 4 and trickle charger. I noticed the 12V battery is located under the hood, but she is insisting that the battery to connect a trickle charger to is in the cargo area. She says that she had this adapter she would connect to the battery in older generation prius vehicles. We looked high and low and the owner manual doesn't mention anything about a battery there, only a service plug for the hybrid battery.

Aside from the battery under the hood (driver side front of the hood), is there anywhere else a trickle charger should be attached?

Thank you so much!

2. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In previous models the accessory battery was in the rear luggage area under the hatch. In the 2016 it is located under the hood in the engine/motor compartment. It is also much larger than previous batteries and won't need a trickle charge IMHO.

3. erichenberger

erichenberger New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Excellent; however, i forgot to mention our friend will be out of the country for 6 weeks. Do you still feel no trickle charge will be needed?

4. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It wouldn't hurt, but I think the battery on the 2016 is over 50 amp hours and can't imagine that it would drain in 6 weeks. The battery is much larger than in previous models. But if you have a trickle charger, just go for it.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it shouldn't need it any more than any non hybrid, with the new larger battery. i have left mine for 5 weeks in winter for the last 12 years with no issues. if the battery already has issues, that's the time to think about trickle charging.
    if she insists, it's a lot easier with the battery in the engine compartment now. you can just pop the hood, or run the wires up from underneath.