1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius - let's hear from buyers

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Munpot42, Jan 8, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! thanks for the info.(y)

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I fully concur:
    With rare exception, the 3d party reviewers came with 'baggage' that pointed their attention at things on their "borrowed" car. In contrast, those who commit, who put hard cash down, have a different set of eyes that no 3d party reviewer will ever share:
    • We take our friends and family in the car.
    • We wake up with the car in the driveway or parking spot in the morning.
    • We pay all expenses because they are not 'business of writing' freebies.
    Like the chicken and the pig who had a power breakfast of ham and eggs to discuss Farmer Brown. The chicken was interested but the pig was committed.

Bob Wilson

3. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Loving the info that's slowly trickling into this thread. I'm curious how the gen4 compares to the gen 3 prius as far as noise and center console comparisons go.

4. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

what was G2 getting under same conditions mpg wise? thanks!

Merged.

edit: krmcg - the pull tab is is VIN number, all of our european cars have it.

Merged.

can you compare roughly MPG compared to your G2 on same roads?

I think G4's ability to glide (power engine off) up to 70 mph might make real difference in real world

#64 spwolf, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2016
  5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The VIN is under that, I think. The GIII also has that.

The GIII lost those extra storage compartments, and even lost some size in the underfloor tray.
    The GIII also lost the console tray, though it can be purchased as an expensive "option". Perhaps the GIV will also have the option.
    The GIII also lost the upper glove box "shelf". But the GIV only has the one glove box now, so nobody will complain about the loss of the shelf. ;)

#65 David Beale, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  6. John Wit

John Wit New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Low 40s MPG for our G2. But I'm the one reporting 54MPG in 60 miles of flat driving.

For any worried about dealer's not making $, their below invoice holdback was ~$1K on my car (they had to show me all the notes from Toyota at purchase time).

#66 John Wit, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2016
    Etienne likes this.
  7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

cool, let us know how is mpg after a day or two, cant keep at 88 MPG forever :).

But it seems it will be a big difference anyway?

8. chenderson2

chenderson2 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just checked and do not see the DVD drive under the seat. There is a USB port inside the console, but I do not know if it can be used to upgrade the maps. I use it to play music through the media player. But, I don't know that new maps would help my navigation as my house it can't find was built in 1969.

9. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I just bought the Four Touring with PCP today for $30, 725 and went through Costco. MSRP $32,765. I didn't choose any extended warranty, didn't choose the extra maintenance stuff besides the default thing where we get 2 yr 25,000 mile of free Toyota care or whatever. Take home price was around $34,XXX but since I took out a loan it was like $36,XXX however that's if I take the full 60 months to pay off the car and 5.9% APR even though I had a credit score of 795. I can pay my car off in 1 or 2 years so I'm not stuck paying the full amount of interest.

#69 TheChosenOne, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  10. Netcub

Netcub Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If your credit score is 795 and your APR is 5.9% I suggest you refinance your car tomorrow morning.

11. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

I got it through the dealership and the dude who helped me said because I have one line of credit of around $4,400 and never purchased a car so it would be that high. They would've lowered it to 2.9 but I would've had to put my dad's name on the car. I should've talked to my own bank for a loan but I didn't really think about this. Lesson learned. The loan isn't complete yet and he said it would be completed in about couple days so it's in their hands right now. How would I refinance and would anything negative happen? I'm a first time car buyer and owner. My parents bought my first car. He also said I shouldn't pay off the rest of my car, if I had the cash, in less than 6 months after purchase because i would get some fee added because the bank sees that I didn't need the money after all and it waste the banks time or whatever.

12. Netcub

Netcub Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When I got My 2010 Prius through Toyota Motor Credit, they charged me 7.9 and I refinanced through BOFA for 1.9 or 2.9... I don't remember exactly... 795 is Top Tier ... You should get a better rate.

loan.JPG

Attached Files:

13. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Are the reasons he said why I got the 5.9 APR a bs excuse to jack up the rate? Or is there some truth to it?

14. Netcub

Netcub Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Dude, I don't know your credit history or circumstances.... I'm just telling you to check with another bank... you could probably do it right now and get a reply in about 45 seconds.. I'm just sharing my experience with you...

sdtundra likes this.
  15. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Thanks

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to mention we lost steering wheel buttons with each generation (replaced with other functions).

3G removed the front defroster, rear defroster and Auto A/C button (retained the temp up/down and recirc)
    4G is just a normal modern steering wheel with only audio controls, telephone, DRCC/LDA and menu controls.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It's really funny how we perceive "new" or "different" things. In early 2010, at the Edmonton Auto Show, we were invited to the debut of the GIII, to look at the "prototype" (boldly labeled on the windshield). My friends and I all thought the drivers room was compromised by the "flying bridge". We would never want one. Two years later I bought one, and find it quite roomy. The "flying bridge" is handy to rest my arm/hand on.

We are seeing the same with the GIV. Some of those who "hated" it early for various reasons are now having second thoughts.

My congratulations to those who already have one, and to those who will in the next few months. I have no doubt it is an incremental improvement over the GIII. In fact, I'm envious. My GIII is now obsolete! :(

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not so sure 4th gen rejection is solely a kneejerk reaction to "new and unknown". The Prius team seems to be in their "we can do no wrong" phase.

mozdzen likes this.
  19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    How do you know when the dealership isn't telling you the whole, complete truth? Their lips are moving.

See #1: Auto Loan Basics, Ch. 3: Top 10 dealer tricks

Netcub likes this.
  20. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    See if your dad will finance the car for you if he has the cash and trusts you - pay him the 3 or 4% interest - keep the money in the family.