1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius Product Info

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Nov 18, 2015.

1. TonyWilkey

TonyWilkey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    \

Legroom (Front/Rear) 43.2/33.4 in is very disappointing. 2.6in less than a 3rd gen and 1.6in less than a Prius C. Most compact/midsized cars have been increasing rear legroom. The 2016 Civic sedan has 42.3/37.4 in.

Also slightly disappointing is lower ground clearance at 5.1 in.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ground clearance only decreased by 0.2 inch. So, that's pretty much the same.

Cargo area increase quite a bit. That lower floor, due to the battery-pack having moved to under the rear seat, is a nice improvement.

3. TonyWilkey

TonyWilkey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow! the rear seating is now worse than a 2016 Volt. Volt Legroom is 42.1/34.7 in.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So it might be harder to fit rear facing child seat. Currently we have 3 child seats in our Gen2 with middle infant seat rear facing...grandkid service

I am focus on Cargo Space - we have gone from 16-ft3 in Gen2 to 27-ft3 in eco model Gen4. Note that there is not really 11-ft3 more space, rather in 2009 the USA switched to a new Cargo Space spec called EPA Cargo Space.

The Gen4 Eco (Lithium batt) is showing 27-ft3 Cargo Space vs. 21.6-ft3 in Gen3...WOW!!! the Lithium batt is adding a ton of Cargo Volume +3-ft3. But I caution this is the EPA (flakey) CARGO Space definition, which I theorize was developed to help hybrids and plug-ins claim greater storage capacity than they really have.

If we have Canada and/or EU Cargo space specs Gen3 to Gen4, then we would have traditional definition of Cargo space based on how much Volume luggage can get packed in theory.

#24 wjtracy, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I think you are confused. The "eco" is model 2 only, and model 2 has NiMH battery. Regardless which battery, the battery is under the rear seat and has no effect on cargo volume as both types fit in the same space, and moving them there is what increased the cargo space. Seems to me the only difference between the batteries is the weight, though they have different capacities and probably have different inefficiencies in charge and discharge (lithium is supposed to be better).

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Being that I don't get along well in most Toyotas, Corolla, Camry, Rav4, I would be surprised if I like being in this new Prius. I just don't fit Toyotas well for some reason, but will give it a try.
    I'm sure many will love it though.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well in general yes I might be confused....but I am looking at the new Cargo Space specs in Danny's Gen4 PDF. Take a look...for the eco a whopping 27 ft3 vs. 21.6 in Gen3...

8. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Model 2 ECO - Li-Ion battery, no spare, 27.3 ft3.
    All models accept for Model 2 (non ECO) - Li-Ion.
    Models with spare - 24.6 ft3, models without spare - 27.3 ft3.

wjtracy likes this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK got it thanks

10. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, rear leg room is down quite a bit. Since the roof slopes down more, they must have moved the rear seats up a bit.

I tell people that I bought my gen 3 mostly for space efficiency with fuel efficiency as a bonus. I like driving (and parking) a compact vehicle but wanted a roomy back seat for occasional rear passengers. Upscale sleeker cars are generally poor in this regard. Other practical cars were not as well equipped as the Prius. So this is a disappointment for me.

On the other hand, the quieter and stiffer body (which should be less prone to rattles) does attract me.

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I actually mention the packaging problem/confusion toward the end of my video review:

The problem is that the EPA numbers on the Prius depend so much on weight, that Toyota can't make many variances to the package without making up for the additional weight in other ways. The curb weight difference between the Three/Four and the Three Touring/Four Touring is 30 lbs (3050 vs 3080 lbs). Now look at the difference between the Two Eco and the others - it's only 3,010 lbs. Lose the weight, get higher MPG. Add more weight with more features, MPG drops. I know that's not quite what you're referring to, but I thought it should be said.

I wouldn't be surprised if TSS (Toyota Safety Sense, which includes pre-collision) didn't come standard on the Prius in 2 years when we see the mid-cycle refresh on the 4G Prius. And this is the exact same mirror that they are still using in the Prius. Easy DIY project.

Auto-Dimming Mirror with Homelink for 2010-2015 Toyota Prius - OEM - PriusChat Shop

For those interested in the pre-collision system, here's a demo video on it:

FWIW, I'm 5'10" and didn't notice the rear leg room change.

zor likes this.
  12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'd expect most people wouldn't. There's many inches extra currently in back between my knees and the front seat. Nonetheless, it is a take-away.

13. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's definitely a problem for those of us with rear-facing car seats. I can barely fit our rear-facing seats in the PiP, and can't fit an infant seat without the front passenger bringing their seat way forward and upright.

Should be interesting to see if this exacerbates the problem.

14. heyphillip

heyphillip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah I hear you I just don't see any major improvements for Generation 4 for Generation 3 owners like me to step out and buy it.First off Toyota lied and said a E-Four drive system would be available it's only available in Japan only.One of the biggest complains I have with my 2014 is it's horrible in winter driving and that's with snow tires. I'm already getting what this new Prius is getting as far as gas mileage

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Last night our local news reported that Consumer Reports questioned how good AWD is vs FWD. Consumer Reports tested and found winter tires make more of an improvement in handling and braking than AWD over FWD**

** Sounds like your experience it totally different than CR

16. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Please post a quote or link where Toyota said E-Four would be available in the U.S.

I've followed this issue pretty closely. As far as I know they never said that.

giora likes this.
  17. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    The Gen 3 just works if I'm in the car with both my sons.
    If the Gen 4 has 1.9" less overall legroom, it sounds like a problem if 3 people with long legs are in the car.

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That damn battery under the seat is probably the cause of less leg room. But the the front seat can move up. The overall loss is only 0.7 inch isn't it?

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That is generally how it works out; FWD with snow tires is the same or better than AWD with all seasons. Then it comes down quirks in the car. Disabling traction control in the Prius isn't simple, and on past models it was touchy enough to make going forward in some conditions difficult at best.

20. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Based on the numbers quoted above:
    Gen 3: 42.5 / 36 = 78.5" total
    Gen 4: 43.2 / 33.4 = 76.6" total
    Lost in total legroom = 1.9"

I don't know if the measurement method changed or whether it will play out differently when you sit in the car.
    If it is an effective loss of 1.9" I agree that for many people it won't matter but I believe that for a sizeable minority it will be a complete deal breaker regardless of how much better the car is in other respects.