1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius Product Info

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Eh? You can get ATP on a Three which has cloth seats.

Cargo volume is increased to 17 cu ft for non-spare tire cars IIRC. I'm trying to find the source lol. (it's basically +1.98 cu ft)

You answered your own question. Toyota didn't lie. You misinterpret the information. They said they'll make it and they did. The world does not revolve around the U.S.

KrPtNk and wjtracy like this.
  2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And a sun roof. And a wireless charger. And the lower-end stereo. And the lower-end seats. And no E-Four.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like you gotta convince your dealer to do a special order ;)

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Will Toyota do build-to-order vehicles?

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    do not know. I'm not in your country ;). I know Lexus has before (there was a case where someone ordered a loaded ES Ultra Premium but with cloth seats) but I don't know if they've changed policy.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...when we get the Canada cargo space specs we can make a table of Gen2 to Gen4 cargo space for both USA and Canada numbers. The Canada numbers will be better for seeing the changes, since the USA went to a new definition of cargo space around 2010.

By Canada specs I think Gen2 was around 16.1-ft3...Gen3 was about 17-ft3...if Gen4 is +2 then it should be 19-ft3 but we have the +- spare tire issue (+another 3-ft3?).

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not likely. Most manufacturers don't these days. Some unavailable options might be possible as dealer install though.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I prefer the specifications of the cargo area below the tonneau cover. If they include the area above the tonneau cover, you have to list both.

Canada
    Gen 2: 16.1 cu. ft. (456L)
    Gen 3: 15.7 cu. ft. (445L)
    Gen 4: 17.9 cu. ft. (501L) (no spare)

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This gets complicated real fast, and we have a lot but not all of the sub-numbers from Toyota...
    Here's what I think (directional not using real data yet):

Approx. (Adjusted to Traditional Cargo Space Definition)
    Gen2: 14.4-ft3 under Tonneau 16.1 Total
    Gen3: 15.7-ft3 under Tonneau around 17.1 Total

(Something wrong with your Gen2/Gen3 because Gen3 was +1-ft3 Total over Gen2)

Sounds like you are saying Gen4 is 17.9-ft3 under Tonneau without spare? Hmm not too great? That would say with spare maybe not too much more than Gen3? That might make sense: they moved the rear lower taking away cargo space, offset that by moving the batts.

Will they market Gen4 both with and without spare version in Canada so we can get your cargo volume for both cases?

#49 wjtracy, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ~14 cu ft sounds about right under the tonneau cover of the Gen 2. At that time, we had a 2002 Camry with 16 cu ft and it was much larger than the Prius under the tonneau so whatever measure TCI was using to get 16 cu ft, it wasn't up to the tonneau cover (perhaps they were using the bottom of the rear sloping window? That typically is the measurement for hatchbacks and wagons - cargo space below the window line)

I'm not sure. Both the 2010 and 2011 brochures mention 15.7 cu. ft. (3rd column on the right in the picture below). You're right though, I recall the 3rd gen's cargo capacity was improved. It was made wider and the space under the tonneau cover was taller (~1"?). If you see the calculations at the bottom of this post, you'll see that the Tokyo Motor Show release implies that the Gen 3 had 15.7 cu. ft.

upload_2015-11-19_13-31-13.png

Oddly enough, beginning in 2012 or 2013, they started listing the max cargo capacity (so the same as the U.S. with 21 odd cubic feet).

Here's the Tokyo Motor Show Release

With spare (or E-Four AWD)

upload_2015-11-19_13-34-3.png

457L = 16.1 cu. ft.

Without spare:

upload_2015-11-19_13-35-2.png

502L = 17.7 cu. ft.
    56L ~ 1.98 cu. ft. increase.

So 502L-56L = 446L = 15.75 cu. ft.

So it's close to what was listed for the Gen 3 in Canada.

wjtracy likes this.
  11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Tideland - in Europe, they counted space under trunk as well for the total of 445l... most of countries did not have spare either, but I dont think they ever provided any different figure for models with and without spare, as spare was added later at insistence of some distributors... same happened with new Rav4.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All of ours had a spare. The only thing I'm uncertain is whether they included the underfloor bin in the calculations on the Gen 2 and Gen 3. That could account for the extra cubic feet or so.

13. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

they sure did... they did it for all of their vehicles.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Generally all of the prior Prius cargo specs add the under floor volume. So for Gen2 I am thinking it was around ~12 under Tonneau, ~+2 under floor, `+2 over Tonneau. We have a lot of these sub numbers from Toyota especially for Gen3. But the total cargo volume included all space.

What I think I am hearing is Gen4 cargo volume (with spare) is similar to Gen3 (with spare) except for Gen3 the volume was separated with about 2 ft3 under the floor. The number is around 16 ft3 under the cover.

Then we get into the new EPA cargo space definition which ups the 16-ft3 (actual) to 24-ft3 ("la la" land) somehow.

>>Do folks see what we are saying?
    Toyota Japan shows the cargo space (without spare) as 502 liters = 17.7 ft3
    But in the USA, based on the the newer EPA Cargo Space spec, it is given as 27.4-ft3
    If anyone understands this "EPA Cargo Space", please advise.

#54 wjtracy, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  15. MattNiem

MattNiem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Has eAWD version more ground clearance? Ultra smooth CVT is very good in winter conditions with just FWD, but small ground clearance has been an issue for me (on Lexus CT).

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. Which may explain why TMS hasn't bothered to offer it. AWD doesn't help as much as people think if you don't have the ground clearance. The Gen 4 Prius is a bit lower than the average for a compact car. (or a midsize for that matter). The Gen 3 was right on average.

17. LouG123

LouG123 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hello PC forum....

First time poster here.....I'm glad I found this specific thread b/c it appears to confirm what I've been confused about in regards to packaging a 2016 Prius 4 vs 4T. I haven't driven a car with a sunroof in a while and I was looking forward to it until I saw how Toyota went about the packaging of their options for 2016. I'm leaning on purchasing a Prius 4, and then buying 17 inch wheels later on. My question is about whether or not the "Integrated fog lights and LED accent lights" would be available in the future via a OEM kit. I've seen some YouTube videos with owners installing the respective kit on their Gen 3 cars. Considering it's still early in the Gen 4 launch, any chance anyone knows if the blank spaces in the front bumper permit the removal of the blanks and installation of the fog lights? I don't yet know if the light stalks off the steering wheel are different from a 4 to a 4T, but I'm hoping to get to a dealer today for a test drive. Unless I'm missing something, the adding of the 17 inch wheels and the LED fog lights would essentially turn a Prius 4 into a fully optioned car, correct?

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'd bet the blanks are removable inserts. It cheaper to make one bumper with open spots, than 2 different ones for fog lights and without. So pulling the lights off a wreck should be an option. The switch inside the cabin if you don't want them tied to the headlights will likely be the bigger issue.

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's how we do car seats in case it gives you an idea ...I know Gen2 front seats do not go back as far so it makes it easier.

Attached Files:

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tideland here's how I look at this now (Canada all over the place)-
    Gen2 Toyota USA showed 16.1-ft3 (dropped it to 14.4-ft3 for some unknown reason for 07 to 09)
    Gen3 Toyota USA quotes 21.6-ft3 EPA but EU VDA method was 15.6-ft3 so Canada went both ways
    Gen4 Toyota USA quotes 27.4-ft3 EPA but 17.7-ft3 seems to be "true" volume by Toyota-Japan (need someone w/ Gen4 to tell us if its really 27 or 17)

SP how do you know they added underfloor in EU?
    Underfloor does not seem to be added by EU in my analysis. For example, PiP shows same 442 even though we know the underfloor was smaller in PiP. For PiP it was stated it is EU VDA up to top window. If you added in under floor for Gen3 there's quite a lot of space down there, so the reported number is way too low. I think Gen3 "true" space is at least 495-liter over floor to window possibly another 80 under the floor w/spare.

#60 wjtracy, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Tideland Prius likes this.