1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2016 Prius Reveal Photos

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Sep 8, 2015.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At the reveal, @talonts nailed it right from the beginning. He was in the driver's seat and I was in the passenger. He nudged me and said, "check out the mug handle [something]." I can't remember exactly what he called it. So yeah, if you have a coffee mug with a handle, you press the separator down and it stays down. Then your mug will sit flat. Once I knew what it was, I realized it was a relatively thoughtful addition.

Tideland Prius and Grus like this.
  2. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks !
    Yes I have to admit it is well thought through!

3. civicdriver06

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have seen so many pictures of the Prius 4 but I have been missing one .
    I haven't seen an image of the current fuel consumption up to now .
    Doesn't the gen . 4 Prius have one ?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but if you puke on the white porcelain, it's easy to clean, unlike the veggie based interior.;)

5. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Brilliant! You are correct. I will be sure to mention that to the salesperson who will try to steer me into a in-stock model with the white. Maybe I'll puke in the demo car to test this out.

jdonalds and bisco like this.
  6. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just saw a pic of the newly redesigned interior of the 2016 Altima.

In my opinion - THIS is a pleasing interior - airy, no doubt good texturing of material, quite a bit of cubby/storage, nice coloring, handy crisp layout of controls/stack (with knobs), and steering wheel.

We bought the 2010 Prius five, even though we felt the interior and seats was cheap and very plain for the price. We would NOT do the same if upgrading to another hybrid. From the 2016 interior pics of the Prius so far, it's a NO GO. Hard to believe that Toyota is not listening to customers. And, I find it difficult to hear some on this board state, 'well perhaps there will be an aftermarket item to cover XXXX or maybe we'll get used to XXXX or I will need to find more storage somewhere else, etc'.

Sorry Toyota, you probably lost an upgrade customer here - competition is tight.

2016 Altima>
    [​IMG]

jdonalds, Trollbait and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The problem is, competition isn't tight. What other 50+MPG lift back can you get in a small package and under $25K? The new Insight has less interior volume and lower mileage.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    True that.

9. Mr_mpg

Mr_mpg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any thoughts that the Eco model will have the current drive-train with NiMH battery, and all other models get the new power-train with Li-Ion battery?

10. Mr_mpg

Mr_mpg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only odd bit is the screen size appears small for a 2016, and what is on the base model.
    Toyota and Honda have reliability and resale value as a big advantage.
    Here in the Midwest, Nissan's seem to rust like crazy.

#230 Mr_mpg, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A lot of the big bolts on my 2010's suspension are rust prone. And we're on the wet coast.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Insight2 likely won't be around long.
    The difference between 40mpg and 50mpg doesn't save as much gas as going from 25mpg to 35mpg., and there is a pretty good selection of 40+mpg hybrids out there now, with some more coming.
    Toyota has been stressing the other improvements because they know that MPG alone isn't enough to keep the Prius at the top.

In another thread, Ken gave us some details from the Prius manual. The NiMH will be used with AWD, and Li-ion with FWD. That includes the E trim in Japan, which appears to be the Eco.

13. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That is - if 50+MPG is THE factor, as it may be for many prospects.

For us, excellent MPG is important, but NOT #1 factor (anymore). Willing to sacrifice a drop in overall MPG for a solid attractive comfortable feature-laden vehicle, and not one that we do not find an excellent fit without living with some non-excellence.

The top-model 2016 Prius we would have been a buyer for --- the pricing there -$33K+ or so- would certainly apply to many very very nice, mid-hi MPG, better handling, solid crisp design alternatives for 2016. We really like our 2010 Prius five, but to replicate that in a 2016...a NO right now.
    We have no allegiance to Toyota and believe they have taken their eye off the ball again. As for the Vegas Prius Reveal and Frankfurt show and weeks after non-comm... heads should roll in product marketing. OMG.

#233 DeanFL, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    Felt and jdonalds like this.
  14. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, for me, the utility of a lift back with fold down seats and a lot of storage beats the daylights out of any sort of aesthetics of the interior. I also don't like leather (including the sof-tex or whatever they call it in the Prius). While 50+MPG is nice, it's not my main driver, but no other car that's even close has the lift back utility of my Prius.

I rented an Altima with CVT last year. Pretty nice car, great transmission. I wouldn't own one, though. Too big outside, too small inside, and I only managed 29MPG hypermiling it in good conditions. Even if 50+MPG isn't the key driver, less than 40MPG is an absolute non-starter for me. Might as well buy a panel truck.

jdonalds likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You do know that the Camry Hybrid and Avalon Hybrid exist, right? They cover the "willing to sacrifice 10mpg for comfort" and they do comfort very well. They're both supremely quiet and comfortable and spacious with decent tech.

Felt and bisco like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    altima interior looks like every other mid size sedan. you could have bought one in 2010 instead of prius. camry, accord whatever. they are not really prius competition. my wife has a hycam, she would never drive a prius.

17. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Made it through all the pictures I think and this thread in only 11 hours.

Thoughts: I like the new style. Looking at Russ and Ricks pictures of the rear of the car it looks ok. Ricks were of the car as it rotated on the turntable so there was some perspective. Not keen on the Toto touchscreen two-holer in the middle either. Maybe it's for the European market. Concerned with the lack of storage reachable from the driver seat. Can add foam to make the rear floor level and possibly remove foam to put a donut spare in. Wonder if salvage Gen3 spare tire foam ect could be cut and pasted in? Remember back in 2015 when you had to put pipe insulation in the grill of your Prius? Want Tech pkg, lithium, awd, and a spare. Don't think it's happening.

retired4999 likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Then there is the Fusion, C-max, Sonata/Optima, Accord, Jetta, and a coming soon Malibu. Plus, a possible 'Prius fighter' from Hyundai.

The Prius needs more than high MPG to keep up. The number of high MPG cars is growing, and most offer something more desirable than the higher MPG of the Prius. The hybrid selection has grown beyond the Prius, some other Toyota hybrid, or maybe a Ford one.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    blah, blah, blah. never seen anyone so worried about prius keeping up, except those hoping it will fail.

#239 bisco, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  20. civicdriver06

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well I have to disappoint those who are hoping it's going to fail,because it will not !
    I have noticed especially kids react very positive to the new design .
    They will convince their daddy's to buy it ! :D

bisco and Netcub like this.