1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2016 Prius Reveal Photos

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Sep 8, 2015.

1. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Also, in a year or two, next generation Lexus ct200, Toyota Camry, and Avalon hybrids may be released, all on the TNGA platform. Of course, who knows what design direction Toyota will take with those.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Side view is the best. What I was hoping for in the interior was a more clean and futuristic look, (Tesla like?). I still don't get why the aux and usb ports have to be coming from behind the driver. The white interior will be scratched and ugly within a few days of use. Lowering the front end guarantees ugly bump ins from those pesky white parking lot bumpers (especially the ones with the rebarb sticking out the top). As for comfort, I would have to sit in one to try it. The best car for tall peeps like me was my 2006 XB. I have a gen III 2015, and the foot rest for the left foot does nothing for me. I like to have my left leg fully extended.

3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wasn't thrilled about the glove box area and the "sloping" slot...........what's up with that? Wasted space?

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    single temperature control (Las Vegas) vs dual temperature control (Frankfurt)
    three switches vs four switches

Ken@Japan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#244 ken1784, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    TonyPSchaefer likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Kinda lost. This?

Capture.JPG

6. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As a 2015 TCH owner I can attest to this statement. Very smooth, very comfortable, very quiet 41-42 MPG ride.

Felt and Tideland Prius like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can have separate climate control, or the same, with the push of the button. it's kinda funky in our hycam, because you feel different temp air, but ultimately, the car is the same temp.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The ECO Heat/Cool button is stand-alone in US-spec but integrated into the AUTO button in the Euro-Spec car.

Also, @ken1784 , do you know what the button to the left of the DUAL in the Euro-spec (or right of the ECO Heat/Cool in the US-spec) mean? It looks like "send air to the front passengers only and not the rear passengers" but I don't recall seeing any air vents for rear passengers.

9. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, but I have no idea about the Euro-spec or US-spec.

Ken@Japan

10. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I guess it depends on how you define "high MPG". We now know that the VW TDIs are a fraud, the only question is how much (i.e., the exact levels of crappier acceleration and/or crappier MPG we can expect after they're "fixed", though I think we can be pretty confident both will be noticeable, else why cheat?). None of the hybrids mentioned are in the same EPA MPG league as the Prius, and most make real world numbers that are even worse (e.g., the corrections Ford had to make for C-Max after the initial "Prius challenger" numbers). None of these other hybrids delivers a cargo area uncompromised by battery intrusions, much less with the flexibility of a hatchback (we'll see how Hyundai's purpose-built design does).

What I want most is economy and utility, and I'm not willing to compromise much on either for a tad more plush or a tad less noise. I find our Gen2 Prius entirely adequate in creature comforts, even on road trips (though I'll confess I'd prefer that it at least tried to handle like a car its size instead of a Torino). Perhaps someone's going to deliver a competitive overall package for my purposes, but given that the industry's had over a decade to study the Gen2 and Gen3 and it appears nobody's bothered to try, I don't hold out much hope.

It may be that the Gen4's "longer lower wider" shape has gone past the point that I'd prefer for ingress/egress (I like more upright cars), but if so that's likely to move me to the second best overall package for me - the Prius v.

#250 Vike, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    giora likes this.
  11. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    The temperature of the air blowing onto you makes a difference even if the general temperature in the space is the same. Its particularly useful for cars where you get one person in strong sun and one in full shade for long periods of time. Why they would have 2 zones in Europe and one in the US is a mystery. I'd expect it to be the reverse unless they are aiming for cheap in the US and nicer at a higher price in Europe.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could also be different by package level.

Netcub likes this.
  13. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That does seem more likely. Given how little we know, why would one assume this is a Euro vs. U.S. difference and not just pictures of different option levels that happen to have been shown in different venues?

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fuel efficiency? EPA tests with the A/C running. I don't think the NEDC includes an A/C test.

15. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Comparative energy use of single zone and 2 zone a/c in service would depend how its designed and how its used. I'd be surprised if there was much difference under test conditions. If there was, better fuel efficiency would seem to be more important in Europe due to the higher gas prices.

16. Ron S

Ron S New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I like the new sportier and more robust design. It looks like it has also a lower center of gravity.
    I wish the hp and torque would be higher. I can't wait for the all the details in the official release.

Ron S

17. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Wellcome to Prius Chat:)

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if only we could get a vette with prius mpg's and hatchback config.

#258 bisco, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The American market for the Prius is much larger than the European market. They have the Auris and Yaris which are more attractive because they're cheaper and smaller than the Prius.

20. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Don't worry hp will be higher than the 122 in the "Staff Manual" !