1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2016 Prius Reveal Photos

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Sep 8, 2015.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, pricing please!

MERGED

are those signal mirrors?

and MERGED again

the storage area under the deck is handier as additional luggage space than it was to keep some odds and ends. i don't miss it at all in the pip.

#281 bisco, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015
  2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I permanently keep my emergency supplies in there - tool box, blanket and large towel. That uses half of it. In the side little cubby, I keep a large trash bag and a set of jumper cables. I can also put in two laptops or one laptop and my camera case in the center large bin. I like the fact that the entire back of the car looks exactly the same (empty) when it is empty or when there is $10k worth of electronics in it.

I like that all of this stuff isn't just floating around on the floor of the car somewhere.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. It's been over a month since LV!!

Well the battery under the seat isn't new. It's been under the rear seat since the 1G RXh and HiHy back in 2005. It just means the ventilation grille and fan can be under the rear seat and out of sight. It also minimises the risk that a child will drop something in the vent like they can in the Gen 2 and Gen 3 cars.

The movement of the battery under the rear seat means they can get rid of the underfloor storage bin (since that was put there at the same height of the battery to create a flat floor). The new Prius gains 11cm (4.5") of depth and total volume goes up 56L (1.9 cu. ft) so it's a decent amount. This is achieved even though they dropped the height of the rear spoiler and rear window. This is still with the spare tire (or tire repair kit) in place. Under the floor is dense foam to house the spare tire or tire repair kit as well as store the tonneau cover. This compares to the Gen 2 and Gen 3 that had bare metal housing for the spare tire. I believe the dense foam is for crash protection. Another purpose could be sound deflection.

It shouldn't affect aftermarket seat covers. The battery sits in a metal cage and the rear seat bottom acts as a lid over said cage. (Again, the cage is probably for strength in case of a side impact to the rear doors)

The styrofoam pieces fill up the space where the spare tire would be. They don't replace anything. The underfloor bin storage is gained and just added to the total cargo volume. The floor is dropped 11cm.

The Electric Me and Trollbait like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's debatable. The hatch roof dropping 55 mm, and the floor dropping 110 mm, they work in tandem I think. Their hand was forced by the roof drop.

The underfloor tray allows out-of-site storage of a number of utility items, and leaves the hatch floor uncluttered. With the 2016 that is gone, you have "statistically" a bit more volume and an uneven hatch deck. The latter just on some models?

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, my cargo area is empty except for the cargo net and reusable shopping bags that are in the enclave. In the summer, my heatshield rides in the trunk too. Everything else sits in the underfloor bin (tire pump, wheel lock key, emergency shopping and garbage bags, foam pipe insulation for grille blocking, my driver's side carpet mat, foldable cargo utility box, first aid kit, snowbrush/ice scraper).

With the Gen 4, I'll have to find another location (or put it all in the utility box).

The height difference is smaller on spare tire models (the silver car in Las Vegas). The black car and the Touring model had larger differences in floor-to-seat distance. In the Japanese video that sergiopl posted, the information stand that was behind the NiMH and Li-Ion battery both showed the 110mm drop in cargo height and the 56L gained in cargo space, but yet we know the floor height is difference.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the great thing about someone posting news that has already been posted is that we get to repeat ourselves ad infinitum.

Netcub, TonyPSchaefer and Trollbait like this.
  8. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    From the pictures, it looks like zero - a flat floor and thus a total height loss due to the lower rear hatch.

9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

we pretty much know most of this info from videos and specs, except for seeing it live... Remember first this is from grounds up new vehicle. New trunk is wider, deeper and longer.... overall it has 10% more space than before (including under tray before). Trunk opening is 8.3 cm wider. Trunk top is also 11cm lower (significant) but trunk bottom is even more lower than that so net change is deeper trunk.

In the end, this was very useful change and now trunk is comparable to European Toyota Avensis for instance, which is midsized vehicle and significantly bigger than Toyota Auris hatchback.

Prius G3 Euro spec: 445l (including under tray), around 405l without under tray (from memory).
    Prius G4 spec: 502l (no under tray).
    Corolla Sedan Euro spec: 452l

So in reality, difference for most people will be more than 20% if they didnt use under tray before.

All this talk is cheap anway, in videos and pics, it looks bigger than before :)

merged

[​IMG]

here is the pic... looking over it, not sure if that carpet is standard or accessory, it looks a lot thicker than previous standard mat, like those Toyota mats you buy to protect the trunk. Looks much nicer than before anyway.

#289 spwolf, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015
    bisco and The Electric Me like this.
  10. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There were vast updates and improvements from gen1 to 2 to 3.toyota announced the gen 4 is redesign from the ground up with complete new drive train! I expect this will be one awesome vehicle! On the other hand the looks of the rear end is kind of different but I may like it once II start seeing more of them on the road! So we shall see!

bisco likes this.
  11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

no - under tray was always counted into the total... so we have now 12%-13% more space with under tray counted and over 20% if we dont count under tray.

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I rent. So to me? A month isn't a long time.

And the battery under the seat? Is new to Prius.

Merged

I think all these things will impact, and perhaps more, when The Prius goes from being an auto show "projection" to actually being a product owned by people using them daily.

IMO that's the best feedback about a new vehicle. It's hearing how it does work as far as MPG and as far as how much more efficient it may be in terms of cold weather usage and shorter trips.

I look forward to hearing what people like...and don't like, once The Prius becomes a real owned product of the masses.

In the meantime, it's not that I don't believe Toyota when they release information. Specifics about battery placement, new heat reclamation systems, and hybrid components being made smaller and lighter...all great. But to me the proof will be in the pudding. And nobody has really gotten the pudding yet.

And what I remember, is similar information release when the Gen 3 was released. We were told many of the same evolutionary realities we are hearing about the Gen 4 in relationship to the evolution of the Gen 3 to the Gen 2. That is the first time appearance of a heat reclamation system, and lighter and more efficient hybrid components.

And it's all great to hear, and I'm very curious and interested in how this will actually impact the next evolution of The Prius. But on one level, it really is just information until the tires start hitting the road for real owners.

13. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you suggesting that everybody will sit still until driving it? It's Prius Chat isn't it?
    BTW, I was talking and citing an announcement made of improving passengers' warm-up and not engine.

14. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. And I don't know why you would make that assumption. I'm quite obviously just saying the best test, the best revelation about what and how a vehicle operates in the real world ownership environment....comes once it is in the real world ownership environment.

Yes. But Toyota has also announced an improvement of the heat reclamation system. I'm guessing the two aspects work together. Even if they have no connection, I also think for MOST Prius owners, the heat reclamation system and being potentially more efficient in colder weather IS more important to them than how quickly the passenger cabin heats up. But that's personal preference.

If I was given the choice between the passenger cabin heats up quicker OR the vehicle is more efficient from a MPG standpoint in the cold? My priority would be with wanting the vehicles engine to be more efficient. I actually have no problem with how the Prius heats the passenger cabin. But admittedly, I'm living in a somewhat moderate winter environment.

15. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    This (warming-up) is not an OR situation but rather AND situation.
    Cabin warm-up is not a big deal for me either, but I am sure it is important to many having very cold winters.

16. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that's what I said.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh ok. Height? Well possibly. We don't know how the floorplan was designed and how much it is in conjunction with the lowered roof height and rear hatch height.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That will mostly feed the enthusiast types, like yourself * This car (4th gen Prius liftback) needs to go more and more .... and more mainstream (code for move up the (US) sales charts (it's been slipping for years))

* Why not just get something really cool and techy like a Volt, Leaf or iMiEV? (now that's sexy beast and desirable too .... Mitsu sold 93 iMiEVs from Jan to Sep 2015, yeah, so cool) **

Know what is sad? Rows and rows and rows of unsold Prius liftbacks sitting on Bay Area new dealer lots (I'll bet Fremont Toyota has 120+ unsold 2015 Prius liftbacks and it will probably take a year for those to sell out)

** I knew iMiEV would be a flop years ago.

#298 cycledrum, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    with dead 12 volts.

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I saw one this morning commuting into work. It was the surprise factor more than anything else.

Bob Wilson