1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2016 Prius Reveal Photos

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Sep 8, 2015.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Haha. And those of us who have been around a while made every effort to scrutinize the seats especially with you in mind. I think that even you will find the driver's seat acceptable but only time will tell.
    My thing is that I buy 8-foot lengths of wood and haul them home in my Gen2. When I was redoing my floor, I bought ten-foot lengths of baseboard and could bend them in to the foot well. I'm particularly bummed that I will no longer be able to do that.

cycledrum likes this.
  2. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    These are prototypes and not necessarily the production models. Some minor design changes may still be possible, the cargo floor level might be one of them if they are listening.

zor likes this.
  3. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Doubt it, honestly. A Toyota rep told me that there were meetings and discussions about the floor. They knew there were two options and decided to go with the lower floor in order to provide more cubic storage space.

Netcub and HTMLSpinnr like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nothing a thick piece of foam won't cure. next controversy please.

5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota needs to design a Hybrid like (VW Westfalia) I would be inline for that! :D(y)

6. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Pickup truck?:D

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bob klutz's new ev pickup!

8. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The first electric pick up truck, not for the USA.
    Renault Kangoo ZE

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry if it's been covered, but did anyone see if the head rests raise or not? They look kinda formed to fit into the top of seat back?

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed that too and asked about it. My guess is that they raise and lower. Would be extremely odd if they did not.
    But the crew can confirm if they had a chance to see.

Stevevee and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, and I've owned Prius with three of those colors: 2004 Tideland Pearl, 2007 Silver Pine Mica, 2015 Sea Glass Pearl

How exhausting. Is this a strip-tease or is this a new car model introduction?

I recall that at the 2010 introduction in Detroit, the cars were fully available for inspection and they even had several exhibits showing the new powertrain, traction battery, inverter, etc.

I am sure that you guys made every effort to pry good information out of those clams. Thanks for investing all of that time on our behalf.

12. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes. Front and back raised and lowered. The front ones remove completely but the back ones do not; they hinge forward which makes folding them flat forward much easier.

#112 TonyPSchaefer, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    Mendel Leisk and cycledrum like this.
  13. MrBillTulsa

MrBillTulsa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    For those who want to use their G4 w/ lowered floor as a sleeper, maybe something like this will work after inspecting the floor area for exact dimensions.
    Step 1: Starting with a cardboard pattern, cut a piece of 1/4" masonite that will drop into the lowered area both ways - right side up, and up side down. If the lowered area is non-symmetrical left to right, small trims will have to be made to make it fit both ways - thus, leaving some voids in one of the directions. If the voids are small enough to be acceptable, continue with step 2.
    Step 2: Cut and glue a large piece of foam to one side of the masonite, thick enough to hold the masonite up to your desired floor height. On the other side of the masonite, glue carpeting of your choice or use the included rear cargo carpet glued, velcroed, or loose, as desired. Choose foam that is soft enough for sleeping and firm enough (over the large area) to hold the hard floor up.
    Conclusion: This assembly can be used with the hard carpeted surface up for a flat, firm cargo floor; foam side up for sleeping; or taken out completely for a deeper cargo area. This should be an easy choice of materials. :eek: (Mr Bill)

bisco likes this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a sunglass holder on non-moonroof models. Same as Gen 3!!

You have access to WAY more information on PriusChat between the Periscope broadcast and the WDU de-briefing show. Come on I dare you to find an article written by any media outlet that attended that even give you HALF of what we've done for you on this site.

Did they talk about spare tires?
    Did they talk about sunglass holders?
    Did they talk about the front seats?
    Did they talk about the grille shutters?
    Did they talk about aerodynamics?

Etc etc etc

All of the above was covered because PriusChat asked and we took your questions and investigated on your behalf.

If you're not happy with the free service......

Edit: Oh and I actually did ask those two questions when the Chief Engineer, Chief Designer and Project Manager sat down with us after dinner. Both are

Bingo!

It's the same for the gen 2 & 3. They both weren't completely flat but we're close enough.

They look one piece but they're just that well integrated as a design of the front seat. They are a separate unit and can be removed. The rear headrests function similarly to the Gen 3 but either because the rear seat bottom is longer, the rear seatback is shorter or the rear headrest is shorter, the rear outboard headrests fold but they hit the rear seat bottom when you fold down the rear seatback. In the Gen 3, they clear the seat bottom and fold 90°.

They're adjustable.

They're adjustable.

Just to elaborate, when the rear seat backs are folded, the rear foldable outboard headrests do not clear the seat bottom like they do on the Gen 3.

Stevevee, cycledrum, DonD and 4 others like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    beat down. ouch!:whistle:

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our 2010 has the dash without the big screen, has back up camera image inset on the left corner of the rear view mirror. Works fine, and I really like the look of the dash. The lack of tactile, keep-your-eyes-on-the-road controls I'm less enamoured of, but hey.

Anyway, I got to thinking just how busy and messed up the new dash looks, well at least to my eye. Here's a couple of pics. I tried crudely to crop and resample them to get the same scope of view, and pixel dimensions. You can look at them A-B fashion, or if you download and put them back-to-back in a viewer, you can toggle between them.

Capture.JPG Capture01.JPG

PaulDM and zor like this.
  17. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pretty decent perspective. I see some things I actually like that I didn't notice before, notably what appears to be increased forward and side visibility and I can appreciate the changes more. I know I complained about the glove box, but to be honest, I rarely use it and my wife will find someplace else to put the stuff she uses while we're traveling, mostly pencils, sunglasses and reading glasses. The things I use will fit in the console just fine now that the outlets have been relocated. I'm still not keen on the center A/C vents, but that's maybe something that looks worse in photos that it might in person.

18. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Is the reason why you can no longer load 8 foot of length items in the car because the back seats headrests are no longer removable ?
    Would it be possible if you could remove the back seats headrests ?
    In Germany we always get different headrests to the ones you get in the US .
    Why ?
    God only knows but maybe this time that's a good thing if we are still able to remove them .
    Did you have a chance to talk to Toyota reps and let them know what you don't like about the car ?
    Although these probably aren't production cars yet,I guess it's to late for Toyota to add some additional storage options to the car which is my only dislike!

#118 civicdriver06, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    zor likes this.
  19. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's not the headrests causing the loss of distance. It's that the front seats do not fold backwards flush with the back seats. In my Gen2, I have 8 feet counted as (hatch to across the cargo area) + (distance over the front-folded back seats) + (over the backward folded front seat) + (over the front seat bottom to the dashboard) = 8 feet.
    In the Gen4, you have (hatch to across the cargo area) + (distance over the front-folded back seats to the back of the front seat) = just over 6 feet.
    The only way to get the 8 feet back is to completely remove the back of the front seat.

As for production vehicles, these are them. They would not allow almost every major car news source in the US and bring in some from Japan (yes, they were there) to show products that might change in the future. The photographs being circulated in every write-up and distributed in multiple languages show the exact car that will be on sale next year.

20. zor

zor Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Ah man! that means me being 6'1 inches tall even if i did fill that space in the non flat cargo floor area or get the one with the flush cargo floor area, it might not have enough space to comfortably sleep in.... i suppose ill have to wait and see....also see the reaction of the sales men when i lay down in the back lol... might have to go with the GEN 3 there is good deals on them now.