1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2016 Prius Super Bowl Commercial: "The Longest Chase" Prius4

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Zojja

Zojja Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I just want to know when we will get hover mobiles.

(And I'm I the only one that thinks of the Hindenburg when you read about hydrogen powered vehicles? Sure seems like a great idea until kaboom)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they have been running the commercials incessantly since the Super Bowl.

3. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Weird. I haven't see it since SuperBowl

iPhone ?

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    More entertaining that the Ioniq and Nitro commercials with a heck of a lot more content and humor.

Bob Wilson

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure why they are running them so much here, maybe they figure cali is a given?

sfv41901 likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    o_O

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry...still looks fugly.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's an unfortunate way of stating a preference for prevailing trends, but it is honest feedback.

Fortunately, the cycle does break from time to time and something new becomes a surprise hit.

9. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Naw..can't say it was a good commercial. Bad guys in a Prius taints the brand name. No one ever said that ad agencies had even half a brain when making these commercials. If the cops had Prius's then that would be another story but in addition if the bad guys were driving a TDI then that would have added further significance if you knew what that meant in the automotive world.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since the purpose of the commercial was to point out that there was a new generation Prius available... and the video shown did effectively achieve that goal... it was good.

It's like a car horn. To be effective, you don't want it to actually sound nice. You want something that draws attention instead.

11. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did u see the 2nd part of the commercial where the cops got a Prius to catch a Prius?

iPhone ?

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good thing 'Robin Hood', the TV series, is no longer on TV. <GRINS>

Of course there is 'Men in Tights'.

Bob Wilson

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  14. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can't agree with that - a negative can't be converted to a positive in this scenario. As I said before people who make commercials (in this case) lose sight of ramifications of what they do to put out a positive message. Even worse are the companies that approve them without thinking of what they mean. Sure its entertaining in a simple minded way but there are those who think otherwise.
    Maybe this Toy ad was not on par with the following but sub performed in my opinion:

10 Promotional Campaigns That Backfired Big Time - Business Insider

MERGED

No I did not see the 2nd part as you noted. Even still that would have (IMO) just went from neg to neutral instead. As I said. positive efeects can be achieved but some ad agencies just don't get it. Some get fired for that when they don't understand culture and vet the impact with a test group. Here are some who failed big time:

10 Promotional Campaigns That Backfired Big Time - Business Insider

#94 Dion Kraft, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2016
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we'll find out eventually i guess. so far, most prius chatters seem to like it. ad age gave it a thumbs up, but i'm not hearing much from joe six pack though. but that may be more related to the prius than the ad. most people could care less, and want more suv's, pick ups and cross overs.

16. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can't agree with you more. If it works for them all the better - no complaints for that. It is just my opinion and thats all. I guess its a matter on ones taste. Mine is not BETTER just not the same.

bisco likes this.
  17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Doesn't sound like you've seen commercials of the past either.

This is a fresh approach to attract a new audience... those who won't look to deep into advertising approach. After all, this particular industry isn't known for serious messages.

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Commercials have only one purpose: To inform and or to sell. Thats it nothing else. You can slice and dice it new or old, good or bad. long or short. but it still remains the same. Old commercials are just as good as the new. The format and execution is the same. If you close your eyes do you think that the sound is NEWER than the OLDER and is more effective? Nope still the same old same old.
    Now visually the medium has taken a big leap using graphics, 3d rendering and radical lens angles to capture your attention. I agree with that but like anything else....its loses its newness pretty quick so its always back to the message. always.. If it worked for you then good..it did not for me. As I said before, the commercial industry does take its message very seriously. There are millions of dollars resting on them to keep their contracts especially with high end clients like Toyota and other heavyweights. Many a expensive agency have lost out and got cancelled because of short sightedness. Heres some examples:

The Top 10 Ad Campaigns That Backfired Badly - TheRichest

Did you ask yourself - was did the car make that make you approve of the commercial? Are you prejudice because of that?
    Would you feel the same of the commercial if the car represented was a car you did not like? Have you been robbed before or had a car stolen from you? Those are questions agencies ask themselves or Not ask themselves before release. Not everyone will like but usually the public can be critical depending on content. Thats their given right and nothing will change that. Ever..

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's a misinterpretation of my post.

My comment was an implicit reference to Prius commercials of the past, not commercials in general.

Sorry about not being specific enough.

20. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My apologies as well as to not understanding that it was a comparison of previous older Prius commercials - my bad!
    In retro speck - yes the new commercial is light years ahead and shows off the new model quite well.