1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius Three /w Option vs 2017 Prius Three

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by kenji4861, Aug 9, 2016.

1. kenji4861

kenji4861 Member

2. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    2016 is a better value assuming you get all the active safety features on TSS-P.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm stuck with my 2016 purchase so what the he// does it matter, lol!

4. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's all good if it's free on the 2017. I didn't want to pay an extra 2,000 bucks for it on my '16.

I noticed that one of the features of TSS-P is "automatic high beams." I'm still trying to figure out why a driver needs that? Have we gotten so lazy (or distracted) that we can't simply slide our fingers over a couple inches and flick the light stalk forward??? Or turn on the windshield wipers by ourself?!? Or turn our headlights off?! And if stupid people weren't doing all that texting, or having sex while driving :ROFLMAO: they wouldn't need that "lane departure warning"' thing...

5. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Yes.

6. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like a dumb feature, but it really helps if you live in a place with little traffic. Imagine driving with the bright light of the high beams 24/7 until a car approaches, and it automatically turns off. It works instantaneously, but I still don't use it because I'm afraid it will wear out the headlights and I live in an area with some traffic.

7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With LED lights, they'll outlast me, I'm sure. Not like the HID bulbs of a few years ago, or even Halogen bulbs.

I see advantages with the Automatic headlights, as I went into an underground carpark today, the lights turned on automatically, making my car more visible - compared with most other cars, most of which were unlit. I often go walking with my dogs at dusk, and the number of cars with no headlights on when it's getting dark is alarming - I think they should become compulsory in time.

The automatic Hi/Low beam is a different feature altogether - if you have the stalk on High, and a car comes the other way, or in built-up area, it will light up LOW, but when it gets darker, they automatically go to HIGH beam.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  8. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok guys, I guess I'd just rather be a "hands on" type of driver. I like operating all the buttons and switches on my own. In an attempt to make the cars more easier to drive, I feel the auto manufactures are just making things much more complicated, and in many cases more distracting.

On the other hand, I'm all for making a car safer. I guess all those features would be nice when I'm zooming down the freeway... with a big drippy cheeseburger in one hand, and a chocolate shake in the other, and watching the Dodger game on my iPad.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  9. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can see what you mean, but I can do without having to fiddle with ignition advance, choke settings, double de-clutching etc while I drive nowdays. That besides checking the oil at least weekly, oil changes every 2-3000 miles, brake adjustment 6 monthly, tappet adjustments annually, decoking, cranky spark plugs, ignition points and dwell angle - I'll pass on them too.

Whatever the computer can do competently, I'll let it do it.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  10. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Watch it Alan, you are reminding me that I'm an Old Guy. ;) I agree about all the engine stuff, I'd never go back to those days! (but when I was young, I actually enjoyed doing all that mechanical work.)

I'm talking about all the distracting things they are putting inside the cabin. Do we really need a 14" screen, and Facebook access while driving?! There was a video on the news yesterday; a young woman was caught on camera driving her SUV on the freeway, chatting away and texting on her cell phone... and she had one (or both) feet up on the dash!!

That's what "Radar Cruise Control" is going to do for (stupid) people.

'LectroFuel and alanclarkeau like this.