1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius Two Semi-self unintended acceleration

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by mistyken, Sep 6, 2022.

1. mistyken

mistyken New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I experienced a weird incident but Im not sure if it could be classified as self unintended acceleration. Im also wondering if anyone on the forum had experienced similar incidents before.

I live in a gated community and residents need to scan a keycard on a pole before getting in. there's a speed bump near the keycard scanner and the road leading to the speed bump is at a slight incline.

At the time of the incident, I was gliding/rolling toward the speed bump while opening the window to get my keycard ready. As I approach the speed bump, my foot was applying light pressure on accelerator as some power is needed to climb the speed bump. I could feel my front wheel climbing over the speed bump and as it clear the top of the speed bump, and then I felt a very powerful acceleration kicking in as the car roll off the speed bump. I realized what's going on and immediately slam on the brake and arrested the surging vehicle, no damage was done.

my question is, would this be a glitch in the hill assist function? I can't 100% rule out the possibility of human error was my foot was on the gas pedal, but I was pretty certain I didn't slam on the gas as well. Has anyone experienced something similar?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is the traction control kicking in, a very common event with prius and other cars at low speed and uneven pavement. nothing to worry about, other than paying attention and applying the brakes as necessary

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This might be the first time I've heard of that happening when nobody's foot was on the brake, though.

CR94 likes this.
  4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As best I can tell, my Prius is utterly incapable of "very powerful acceleration," short of getting rear-ended. Rolling down off the speed bump, combined with foot-on-accelerator would cause moderate acceleration.