1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius Two Tire Size Options

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Charles218, Apr 2, 2022.

1. Charles218

Charles218 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Last year I put a set of Michelin Crossclimate 2's on my 2015 Sienna, and now that the Prius is ready for new tires I wanted to do the same. I was disappointed to find that Michelin does not make a 15" version of that tire. The Prius uses 195/65R15's, Tire Rack list 205/55R16 as an optional size for the Prius and the Crossclimate 2 is available in that size. I need advice on what it would mean to move to a 16" tire, would this create any problems? The Crossclimate Plus is available in the stock size, though I would prefer the 2's.

2. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Wow, those are nice all weather tires! I especially like the wide spacing for better snow traction.
    As you likely know, those are very directional tires, and will not be that good while trying to go in reverse in fresh unplowed snow(or packed snow) that is more than a few inches - such as getting out of a drive-in only parking space, after it snows more than ~2".

You'd need to get 16" rims for all 4 wheels.
    So, you're looking at spending at least $600 for 4 16" rims.
    If you get the rims at the same time from tire-rack, they will mount them for free. Iirc, you need to also get valve stems and balancing.

Tire-rack didn't list any low cost 16" or 17" steel rims.

Good Luck!

#2 prius16, Apr 3, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would stick to 195/65R15, way too much effort/expense.

4. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Sorry, not that simple - your forgetting about the TPMs. I've got friends that's been driving around with that lamp lit for years. Depending on your state's inspection regulations and if you use one of those insurance discount OBDIIs - that may be an issue. I don't know; It's looking like more than a grand for a set of tires & rims. I thought that people bought these cars for price and efficiency.

5. Charles218

Charles218 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the observations, mostly based on cost it is clear that I will need to stick to Crossclimate Plus, they are available without any of the additional cost and hassles. Biomed01's comment about the TPMs is the biggest factor. Between the Sienna & Prius I have had TPM issues in the past and now that they are working as they should, I don't want to rock the boat.

6. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Good point about the TPMs!
    (y)
    TireRack can also include those.
    Of course, they then need to be added/programmed to the car.

Imho, I those all season tires do look interesting.

Fwiw, *I* run Blizzaks during the winter. In general, in New England, the local streets often have have morning ice/snow on them.
    New England is hills, more hills, and don't forget those hills. :)
    Trying to stop on an icy/snow-packed downhill is not fun at all!
    I still swear by Blizzaks for being able to stop/slow-down on ice. It's not magic, it's science. But, that science/ability (ice grip) lasts for ~~10K miles. Hence, why Blizzaks are winter only tires.

However, my winter tires requirements/desires is not the same as everyone else's.
    Similar to me having full 4-tire sets of Blizzaks for any car I drive in the winter.

For the OP, it may be worth the cost. That is their choice, it's their money. (y)

7. Charles218

Charles218 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in southeast Michigan, have run snow tires on all of my cars for years, I have Blizzaks on both the Sienna and Prius. Over the past couple of years, realize that I just don't go out that much in the winter, and have not really needed the Blizzaks. So, I purchased the Crossclimate 2's for the Sienna and plan to run them all year, no more snows. Might I wish that I had the Blizzaks, possibly there will be a few situations where I wish I had them, but overall it is going to be much easier going with the Crossclimate year round. Plus the Crossclimate offers much better traction and braking on dry and/or wet pavement.